+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood

Here's a nice interview with Carrie done back in July. Not sure why it is just now appearing in the paper but it is.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05244/563299.stm

Music Preview: First she won 'American Idol.' next up for Carrie Underwood: Country stardom.
    Thursday, September 01, 2005
    By Scott Mervis, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Carrie Underwood knew she could sing, but she was studying broadcast journalism at Northeastern State University in Oklahoma when she decided to throw her cowboy hat in the ring for "American Idol."
    Now, it looks like America has lost a news reporter and gained a country star.
    Underwood, who hits the Mellon Arena Saturday as part of the "American Idols Live" tour, topped rocker Bo Bice last May to become the fourth winner on Fox's smash reality series. It was a surprise to nobody. Underwood, as house critic Simon Cowell said early in the contest, was "the girl to beat." In fact, Cowell, no lover of country music, went on to say, "I will make a prediction: Not only will you win this competition, but you will sell more records than any other previous 'Idol' winner."
    There had been attractive blondes on the show before. And there had been country singers. But the 22-year-old Underwood put it all together, building a fan base with her Nashville-ready voice and a winning country-girl personality.
    She didn't always stick to her strength, departing at times from the Martina McBride/Dixie Chicks-style fare to try her hand at Heart or Pat Benatar.
    But don't expect to hear "Love Is a Battlefield" on a Carrie Underwood record, unless it's got steel guitars on it. You can't take the country out of Carrie Underwood. She grew up on a farm in Checotah, Okla., the next town over from Merle Haggard's Muskogee. Her dad worked at a paper mill, and her mom was a school teacher. They were more into "oldies," as Underwood calls it, like the Beatles and the Bee Gees, and her two older sisters preferred '80s rock, but Underwood was drawn to pop-country singers like McBride and Shania Twain.
    Although she was performing in talent shows by seventh grade and musicals in high school, Underwood decided to take a safer route and major in communications. She was performing in a country music show at Northeastern State when her friends talked her into auditioning for "American Idol." She and her mom drove all night to St. Louis to audition, then she waited eight hours before passing with a version of McBride's "Phones Are Ringing All Over Town." When she headed for Hollywood, it was her first time on a plane.
    The next few months were spent auditioning every week in front of millions of TV viewers who are now well-prepped for a debut album that will drop in November on Arista. If her single, "Inside Your Heaven," is any indication, Underwood has it made. It did more than top the country charts: It made her the first country artist to debut at No. 1 on the Hot 100.
    In late July, Underwood took time out from the backstage bonding on the "Idol" tour to talk about what happens next.
    I just saw a news story that you've been named the World's Sexiest Vegetarian. Had you ever talked about being a vegetarian on the show?
    If someone asked me, I'd tell them, but it's not like I walked around talking about it all the time. I had a shirt from a fan who knew I was a vegetarian, from Urban Outfitters or something, that said "V is for Vegetarian" so I'd wear that, and I wore it one night when we went bowling, and they took a whole lot of footage and people saw that on me.
    So, did you have to compete for this honor, too?
    No, I guess they just kind of know who is and who isn't. I think it was with PETA [People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals]. They just know.
    Well, it's good to be on their good side.
    Definitely.
    So, how has the tour been going?
    It's been pretty good. We have our moments. I mean, there's 10 of us and 10 different personalities, so sometimes it's a little -- I'm sure everyone feels the same way about me, too. It could be a little hard to be with each other all the time, but so far it's been coming together pretty well.
    Was the closeness that people saw between the contestants the real thing?
    Yeah, we never really felt like a competition. Everyone wanted to stay around, of course, as long as they could. But it was never like, "I have to beat this person. This person has to go home tonight." You know what I mean? It was just a "We'll all do our best and see what happens" kind of thing. We're all friends, like I said, we're around each other all the time, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, so being around each other all that time with anyone could be a little difficult.
    Is there anyone you've been really impressed with on this tour?
    I absolutely love watching Anwar [Robinson] sing. I think he has the most incredible voice ever, and everybody just kind of gets quiet when he sings. I'd say he's my favorite to listen to.
    Yeah, his song selection wasn't always the best, though.
    He did things that he loved. That's him. I did country music, and I got some criticism for singing a lot of country music, but that's who I am.
    When you got into "Idol," did you have any notion that you might win?
    Of course, everybody started out wanting to. I wouldn't have been in it if I didn't want to win. But I was very realistic about it, from the very beginning to the very end. I thought, "OK, there's so many people here' and, as the weeks went, "there's so many talented people here." I was never like, "OK, I'm going to win, I'm going to win." Probably, like at No. 4, I was like, "I have a one in four chance of winning this thing," but I didn't get my hopes up.
    Clay Aiken recently told me that two days after the "Idol" finals he was handed the songs for his record, "Measure of a Man." Are you experiencing the same thing?
    Fortunately, everyone has been very willing to work with me, not just for me. I've had input so far, and everyone has listened to what I had to say. I wanted to go in a country music direction, and there were some people who wanted to push me in a pop direction, but we sat down and I said, "This is where my heart is. These are the people who voted for me, and they're being so supportive and wonderful. I don't want to abandon who I am at all." I'm not going to want creative control, because I don't know anything about the music industry. I'm learning, but most people have years to learn who they are. I'm still working on that.
    Are you involved in selecting the songs that you're going to do?
    Yeah, we actually had a writers' weekend a couple months ago. We got together with writers in Nashville, and I helped out on things they were doing. They let me hear some ideas that they had, and we all just collaborated. Everyone's been so good about letting me have a hand in it, even though I don't know what I'm doing.
    You don't write any of your own lyrics do you?
    I definitely want to. Right now, I'd kind of like to leave it up to those who know what they're doing so it can be a good album, rather than me trying to do it and maybe it wouldn't work. I like to write, but I don't know if I'm good enough yet.
    Is there someone in the country industry that you model yourself after or look up to?
    I look up to a lot of people, actually. I love the new country sound that pop listeners would like, too. I also love Gretchen Wilson and that old country sound. I can't see myself in one direction. I just want to listen and if I like the songs, those are the ones that are going to be on there. I hope everyone can enjoy it, but from a country music standpoint. I hope, because I was on the show, people who don't listen to country music will give me a shot and give country music a shot, because it's a wonderful kind of music.
    Just watching from afar, this whole "Idol" thing seems like a pretty breathless process. Did you get any downtime after the show?
    Not really, but that's OK. My family and friends have just been so supportive; no one's making me feel bad about not being home. I'm just trying to take it all in, and I know it's important to strike while the iron's hot, so I'm willing to work, whatever I need to do.
    What had you been doing right before "Idol"?
    I was going to school, in my last year at college. And I was working at a veterinary clinic. I love animals. I kept taking these strays in that I found that needed help, so I said, "Maybe I could volunteer here a couple days a week," and they were, like, "We need someone to work here."
    But you had this singing passion?
    Yeah, definitely. But I was realistic. I'm a very level-headed person. I knew I had to get a real job. Millions of kids dream of being famous, of being an actor or singer or model. I knew that if that's what I was supposed to be doing, the doors would open in front of me, and they sure did.
    So you have no regrets about leaving these other things behind?
    I'm just putting them on hold. I have one semester left of college, so one way or another, I'm going to get my degree. I worked 31/2 years to get that degree and, dang-gammit, I'm going to get it.
    And the clinic, you're not going back?
    No, no-no, but animals are definitely my passion, they're my love. I love singing and I love getting in front of people every night, but as far as making the world a better place, I'm all about helping animals, and I plan to do a lot of charity work.
    What is it like for you being in your hometown, just being out and about?
    I got to go home twice since the show was over, about a total of a week. I went to Wal-Mart, and I was like, "I've been in here a million times, it will be fine, no one will treat me any different." I was wronnng [laughs]. They're just so proud and so happy for me. I see people wearing their Carrie Underwood T-shirts, and it's just awesome the support that I have. I really wouldn't want to come from any other place.
    So you have been living in hotel rooms?
    Pretty much. The tour bus and hotel rooms.
    It's like you've been held hostage by "American Idol" ...
    I wouldn't say 'hostage,' because that's a forced situation. If I didn't want to do it, I wouldn't do it. But this is my future and what I love to do.
    Have you gotten advice from any former Idols?
    Not really. I met Fantasia during the show, and she actually told me I was her favorite, and that made me feel really good. She was, like, "Enjoy it. Take a deep breath and take it all in."

As can be seen from the below Carrie & IYH seems to have much more staying power than any of us could have reasonably expected. The song continues to attract new stations & also keeps increasing the amount of Air Play it is getting. John Tesh recently added her to his Nationally Syndicated show & that seems to have increased the exposure tremendously. Also, according to the Official Carrie Underwood web site, her first album will be released 11/15. So look for a new single sometime in the next 6 weeks or so.

http://w2.mediabase.com/mmrweb/AllA....asp?format=a1M

http://w2.mediabase.com/mmrweb/AllA...sngcde=UNDEIYH+

Katharine McPhee fan Akuma24601's Avatar
    Here's a new article about Carrie and a few excerpts from other articles:

'Idol' Underwood Stays a Country Girl
    (Sunday, September 11 12:02 AM)
    By Jay Bobbin
    LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - You've become the latest "American Idol." Now what?
    Each winner of the FOX singing contest has answered that in his or her own way, and it's no surprise Carrie Underwood has paid a few visits to Nashville, Tenn., lately. As the first country-oriented "Idol," she has found Country Music Television an ideal venue for her first major home-screen appearances since her victory in May. Before she is profiled in an upcoming episode of "CMT in the Moment," she performs on the six-hour special "CMT 100 Greatest Duets" Saturday, Sept. 17.

Underwood teams with Jamie O'Neal to sing "Does He Love You," originally recorded by Reba McEntire and Linda Davis, during the two-hour concert that caps the special and features a countdown of the top 12 songs. Other concert highlights include Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers in a reunion, singing their early-'80s hit "Islands in the Stream"; spouses Clint Black and Lisa Hartman Black reprising their successful song "When I Said I Do"; and Patty Loveless and Travis Tritt crooning the Loretta Lynn-Conway Twitty tune "Louisiana Woman, Mississippi Man."

Terri Clark and Trace Adkins host the concert. Other artists performing include Montgomery Gentry, Lee Ann Womack, Crystal Gayle, Blake Shelton, Marty Stuart, Keith Anderson, Miranda Lambert, Joe Nichols and Rebecca Lynn Howard.
    Now starring in high-profile ads for shoes and candy bars, Oklahoma native Underwood mainly has been on an "American Idol" concert tour with last season's other nine finalists since her win. "I haven't really gotten to do a lot of other things," she says, adding that she enjoyed taping the "CMT 100 Greatest Duets" special several weeks after her "Idol" triumph. "It went really well. The crowd was receptive and wonderful, and I got to meet a lot of [famous] people."

For the upcoming "In the Moment" special, CMT cameras followed Underwood constantly, but she claims that sort of frenzy has "kind of died down. For a while, there were cameras just all around, and I was like, 'Where are these people from? What are they doing?' I wouldn't say you get used to it, because people don't act normal when they're on camera. It's impossible. It's when you start acting normal that's the problem, because you forget the cameras are there and you probably say something stupid."

Even with all the attention she's received, the wholesome Underwood doesn't think she stands out all that much when she's not on stage. "I'm a really good blender," she reasons. "I blend in with other people very well. I can walk around and sometimes nobody will say a word to me. Other times, I'll get the 'You know who you look like?' thing. I just say, 'You know, I get that a lot.' "

Clearly as down-to-earth as she seemed when millions of viewers voted her in as the fourth "American Idol" over rocker Bo Bice, Underwood is racking up other titles, too. She recently was named "World's Sexiest Vegetarian" by PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals).

"I'm honored," she says with a degree of bemusement. "I didn't know there was such a contest, and when I heard that a poll was taken, I thought, 'There can't be that many [well-known] vegetarians.' I checked, and there were a whole lot more than I thought." Indeed, Coldplay lead singer Chris Martin shares this year's award; others in the running included Reese Witherspoon, Avril Lavigne and Prince.

Underwood's final moments on "American Idol" remain a blur to her, given the high emotion involved and the need for her to perform once more as the credits rolled. Nevertheless, she says, "I still get goose bumps when I think about Ryan [Seacrest] standing there between me and Bo to announce the winner. It was all such a whirlwind. My mother has always told me I wear my emotions on my face, and while I try so hard not to, my thoughts are all right there to be read."

With the "American Idol" tour drawing to a close, Underwood is ready to hit the recording studio to make the debut album (due in November) that will follow her "Idol"-winning single, "Inside Your Heaven." She maintains her fellow finalists also "want to see what they can do on their own now. It's going to be really interesting to see where everybody ends up. I'm not going to get any rest between the end of the tour and making my album, but I'm just looking forward to getting in there and doing it.

"The single was a big test for me, because a lot of people watched the television show and voted, but I wondered how I would fare outside of that. It made me feel really good that I still had so much support behind me, and that people would go out and buy my song. Now it's like, 'OK, I'll make my album, and I hope it really does well.' It's all been such a wonderful experience that even if I don't get to do anything else after this, I've had the time of my life."

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,271|97263|1|,00.html

Reigning "American Idol" Carrie Underwood and the show's season four finalists will stage a concert Sunday in Syracuse to benefit the Red Cross. The American Idols Live tour was due to end Friday at the city's OneCenter, but a second show was added to raise funds for relief efforts at the suggestion of “Idol” creator Simon Fuller.
    http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_conten t_id=1001056388

Stars including Sean Astin, Bill Maher, Wendie Malick, Joe Mantegna and Carrie Underwood have teamed with the Human Society of the United States for a public service announcement campaign highlighting the organization's extensive animal rescue efforts in the Gulf area.
    http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,17324,00.html?tnews
    03/28/06: The Day That AD Died "TV is not as good as it used to be." - Maeby Funke

ASCAP website has the following listings for Carrie. Works performed by:
    CARRIE UNDERWOOD
    1. BEFORE HE CHEATS (Title Code: 321629556)
    2. INSIDE YOUR HEAVEN (Title Code: 391749536)
    3. TROUBLE FR FILM KING CREOLE (Title Code: 500117108)

We obviously all know about IYH.
    There has been speculation for sometime that the Movie King Creole is being remade & from the addition of Trouble on Carries list it could be that she is going to be part of the movie soundtrack. Or it could be that it will be included on her new album. But, it wouldn’t appear here if she hadn’t recorded it at sometime.
    The interesting one for me is Before He Cheats. This may be here next Single & the first Single of her album. Regardless it sure is a Country sounding Title for a song.

Bit by bit information is beginning to leak out & there is some good detective work being done by many of her fans.

http://www.ascap.com/ace/search.cfm?..._pp=30&start=1

Boy that is a long address. I hope the link works. If it doesn't you can go to ASCAP.com & search Carrie Underwood.

It sounds like the Syrcause concert was a success.

American Idols close out concert tour with a Katrina benefit

September 11, 2005, 9:00 PM EDT

SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- "American Idol" winner Carrie Underwood, along with runner-up Bo Bice and the other eight Idol finalists closed their summer concert tour Sunday with a benefit for Hurricane Katrina relief.

The American Red Cross will benefit from the sold-out crowd of 6,000 that paid $35 to $45 for a seat at the War Memorial at Oncenter, as the Idols wound up a tour of 43 cities in 62 days.

"It's a very happy thing that we're doing to help people," Underwood said. "When (executive producer) Simon Fuller suggested the idea of putting on a special charity concert to help those in need, I and all the Idols on tour were happy to help."

Underwood, of Checotah, Okla., said she would donate the revenues from her merchandise sales at the benefit concert to the Humane Society of the United States to help pets stranded in the hurricane region.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/newyork/ny-bc-ny--katrina-idols0911sep11,0,7842720.story ?coll=ny-region-apnewyork
    03/28/06: The Day That AD Died "TV is not as good as it used to be." - Maeby Funke

It sounds like a new Carrie cd could be coming out the week of October 11th. Someone took a picture of a billboard at a music store somewhere, and one of the names mentioned on that list was "Carrie Underwood" for October 11th. I for one assume that this will be another single since the album is supposed to come out the week of November 15th.

If you didn't get a chance to see the special on CMT this weekend on the 100 greatest duets you really missed some special music. Carrie did a duet with Jamie O'Neil on the old Reba song Does He Love You & it just brought down the house. Afterwards they got a huge standing ovation & you can see Carrie look over at Jamie with eyes big as saucers & lip the words "Oh my gosh". She was floored by the response. Everytime she sang people were cheering for her & man she didn't let any of her fans down. She went toe to toe with Jamie & showed she is definitely a star on the horizon in the Country universe. Anyway, if you would like to see the video, go here & click on the video link.

http://www.cmt.com/artists/az/underw...e/artist.jhtml

Here's a small blurb from MTV News:
    Opportunities to sit in on recording sessions with Usher, Alicia Keys or Kanye West are among the experiences and items being auctioned on eBay October 11-20 to benefit the Step Up Women's Network, a nonprofit organization dedicated to strengthening community resources for women and girls. Various autographed items by Dave Matthews Band, Metallica and Carrie Underwood will also be available in the auction.
    http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1509672/20050915/lil_kim.jhtml?headlines=true

Carrie attended the Emmy Awards last night!
    A few pictures have been attached to this post.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I know it had been previously reported that Carrie has her own artist page on CMT.

http://www.cmt.com/artists/az/underw...e/artist.jhtml

Now she also has one on GAC.

http://www.gactv.com/artists/underwood_c.html

Good things continue to happen for Carrie. IYH is now at #13 on the Adult Contemporary charts with over 1,000 plays in the last week. It just doesn’t want to fade away. Blips & blurbs of her next album are beginning to leak out & if the clip I heard of a song titled Jesus Take the Wheel is an example this is going to be a really good album.

FORT Newbie
    I know this may be late, but I just cant stand this chicks singing. IMO, she sounded totally off singing her victory song.

+ Reply to Thread