+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood

A picture from her Sketcher's ad

The other ads are already appearing in Entertainment Weekly amoung other magazines. This is the photo of Carrie surrounded by men offering her different styles of shoes. She has a great look in this ad.

Katharine McPhee fan Akuma24601's Avatar
    Here's a pic of Carrie holding one of the road signs dedicated to her.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    03/28/06: The Day That AD Died "TV is not as good as it used to be." - Maeby Funke

For once a nice even article with mostly good things to say about the show & the contestants. I hadn't heard of an endorsement deal with PETA though.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/artic....DTL&type=music

Crazy For 'Idol'
    'Idol''s secret is all about humiliation

'Idols' Live

"My very first magazine cover was the National Enquirer, and I was like, 'You know you've made it when ...' " Carrie Underwood, the reigning champ of "American Idol," says with a laugh.

Speaking by phone from Reading, Pa., where she's headlining a stop on this summer's "American Idols Live" tour -- which brings the show's top 10 finalists to San Jose's HP Pavilion on Saturday -- the 22-year-old Oklahoma native sounds surprisingly well-adjusted for a small-town gal who recently saw her personal life splashed across the front page of the country's biggest tabloid. She practically sounds tickled by the development.

"At first, it was hard to sit down and read the things that people were saying," Underwood says of the article, which alleged she kicked her hometown sweetheart to the curb while entangled in a torrid love triangle with two other "Idol" contestants. "A lot of people would've worked their way up to this position and would've gotten a thick skin over a few years' time. For me, though, all this happened in a few months.

"But now I find it quite funny that I've heard all kinds of crazy rumors about myself. I've even heard that I'm pregnant! I was like, 'Are you serious?' I've become real good about laughing things off -- I figure I'd better get used to it."

The country singer is adapting to more than just outlandish gossip, however. Since defeating huggable hippie rocker Bo Bice on the May 25 season four finale, Underwood, who grew up on her family's farm, has been livin' la vida VIP. These days she travels by private jet; has signed endorsement deals with People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, Hershey and Skechers shoes; has a No. 1 hit, "Inside Your Heaven"; and is working with top industry talent for her debut album, due in November.

"Everything's completely different and it's been hard," says Underwood, who sounds as sweet and endearingly bewildered in conversation as she did on the show. "Fortunately, I have a lot of wonderful people around me, and I think I'm handling things pretty well."

Underwood's sudden success caps one of "American Idol's" most popular seasons, which drew roughly 27 million viewers each night to become one of the year's top-rated TV programs. Open auditions for "Idol" season five, which will air in 2006, begin this week -- first stop is Thursday at the Cow Palace in Daly City (see box on Page 18).

Since its 2002 inception, the addictive, increasingly scandal-prone show that lets viewers decide the winner of the world's most glorified karaoke competition has become as much a soap opera as a talent competition. This season alone, there were revelations of drug possession and domestic violence. Phone snafus required one complete revote. Early front runner-heartthrob Mario Vazquez mysteriously fled the show midseason, setting the Internet abuzz with rumors of homosexuality and undisclosed recording contracts. Culture-jammers at votefortheworst.com rallied to make the despised Scott Savol the winner. Former contestant Corey Clark caused a media uproar when he boasted of an affair with judge Paula Abdul. (She denied the allegation; a formal investigation is pending.) Then there was Abdul, whose seemingly unhinged antics gave the show its most glorious unpredictability.

Oddball behavior probably shouldn't be entirely unexpected from a woman who once danced with an animated cat in a music video, of course, but nothing could've prepared viewers for her genuine loopiness this season. Throughout, she looked wild-eyed and out-of-sorts, sparred with fellow judges Simon Cowell and Randy Jackson, performed wobbly, hands-in-the-air dances made famous by drunken sorority gals and slurred such deeply insightful criticism as, "This was your best male performance by far." Well, this was Abdul's best wacko-girl- gone-wild performance by far. Let's just hope she's doesn't leave the show, even if rumors suggest she may be replaced next season by someone as, uh, vibrant as Whitney Houston.

But if drama was half the reason to tune in, the other half -- the contestants -- helped make "American Idol" more riveting than ever. Sure, there were still plenty of missed notes and moments so bad they were actually fab (Janay Castine's "Hit 'Em Up Style," anyone?), but at least the finalists were taking risks and deviating from the sleep-inducing oldies and bland adult- contemporary ballads that often bogged down prior seasons.

Underwood brilliantly transformed songs by Heart and Roy Orbison with her soaring twang; Bice displayed impressive Lynyrd Skynyrd-esque chops; and seventh-place Anwar Robinson indulged his inner diva with gender-defying renditions of songs by Chaka Khan and Roberta Flack. Bronze finalist Vonzell Solomon made Barbra Streisand sound relevant beyond gay-male circles and Nadia Turner, who deserved far better than her eighth-place finish, brought grace, soulful depth and the courage to don a faux-hawk Afro -- not to mention a gloriously delivered song by Melissa Etheridge -- to the show.

In terms of sheer originality, however, no one trumped "Rent" vet Constantine Maroulis. The 29-year-old New Yorker's theatrical, tongue-in-cheek takes on songs by such unlikely acts as Queen, Nickelback and the Partridge Family earned him sixth place.

"I wanted to be serious about the work but not take it too seriously, if you know what I mean," says Maroulis, whose wonderfully campy stage persona inspired the show's most love-him-or-loathe-him reactions. "I wanted to take the piss out of ('American Idol') a little bit and kind of poke fun at myself for being part of such a huge show. So I went up there and tried to challenge myself and the audience."

Those challenges, by Maroulis and other contestants, made this season the show's finest.

"As far as talent goes," Underwood says, "we had pretty much everything, and I think that's why this year was so successful."

However, after the conclusion of the "American Idols Live" tour, the singers' futures are less than certain. Even Underwood, who's practically guaranteed to follow the platinum trajectory of previous winners like Kelly Clarkson and Fantasia Barrino, may not have much of an idea of what's ahead, considering that contractual stipulations mean she'll have little control over her own career.

"I'm not worried about that, though," assures Underwood, who seems far too polite (or eager to please) to acknowledge that she deserves material far better than the insipid "Inside Your Heaven." It's not for nothing, after all, that Clarkson and Barrino have since attempted to distance themselves from "American Idol."

"I'm just so grateful to be in the position that I'm in," Underwood says. "I'm just going with the flow right now, and I think my album will come together quite nicely because I think everybody (involved in making it) is on the same page."

Bice, however, isn't so sure. In fact, the 29-year-old Alabama rocker says he's glad he lost, if it means he'll have more say in his own artistic decisions. (Just, please, no more "Freebird.")

"I'm a songwriter and I want to have some creative control, and that's not what 'American Idol' is about -- it's a singing and pop contest, and I'm not a pop guy," says Bice, explaining that he auditioned for the show to parlay the exposure into success for his band of 10 years, Bo Bice and Sugar Money.

"But you won't ever hear me dog the show," he adds. "Yeah, I want to separate myself from it so people know that Bo is a cat who's just here to play and write music. But please, man, let's be realistic -- I'd still be trying to make a living at a bar and playing at church if it wasn't for the show."

Indeed, Bice is the rare nonwinner who's translated his "Idol" stint into wider success. His first single, "Inside Your Heaven" -- yes, he and Underwood each recorded the same song -- reached No. 1, and his debut album is being helmed by Clive Davis, the man responsible for the careers of Houston and Alicia Keyes. And while his participation on the show surely won't earn him points with credibility-obsessed rock fans, Bice, who couldn't sound more laid-back in conversation, isn't worried.

"I actually went onto the show thinking I was going to have to do a lot worse stuff than I did, so I'm not too concerned about that, man," he says. "I don't feel like I sold out or compromised myself. I would've sung any one of those songs that I sang on that show out at a bar or out at a gig."

Maroulis, on the other hand, cops to initial concerns that his participation on the show would open him up to ridicule from the rock scene. But he says the exposure paid off, landing him a role on a forthcoming TV drama, publicity for his band Pray for the Soul of Betty and a track on the recent Queen tribute, "Killer Queen," alongside Sum 41 and Joss Stone. He also plans to release a solo album in 2006.

"Listen, I just rolled the dice when I auditioned because there are few opportunities for artists anymore to go out there and do their thing, and here it is the biggest stage in the world," Maroulis says. "Now I'm just trying to keep it going, to build something out of all this and make it into a career."

Which is, of course, what every contestant hopes. But even if the track record of former runners-up indicates the odds are stacked against them when it comes to long-term success, hopefully this year's cast has proved to the next crop of "American Idol" wannabes that pushing the envelope at least makes for a much more compelling -- and wonderfully high-drama -- season.

"Throw caution to the wind and just do it," Underwood urges future contestants. "I mean, all of us gave it all we've got, overcame a whole lot just being on the show and learned a lot about ourselves. We're just normal people trying to do what we love and follow our dreams."

I saw another of Carrie's Hersheys ads on tv! It was the one where she was singing the Kit Kat song. The ad was on during the 2nd to last commercial break for Monk Friday night.
    03/28/06: The Day That AD Died "TV is not as good as it used to be." - Maeby Funke

Winner of "Idol" enjoying the ride

By Tina Potterf

Special to The Seattle Tim

"American Idol" winner Carrie Underwood performs last week in Norman, Okla., during the American Idols Live! tour, which will be in Everett on Tuesday.

KEVORK DJANSEZIAN / AP

Carrie Underwood, flanked by the other finalists, celebrates her "American Idol" win during the show's finale in May.

With girl-next-door good looks and a hint of Oklahoma twang in her voice, Carrie Underwood has the makings of a country-music star.

Apparently, fans of the hit television show "American Idol" saw the crossover potential in Underwood, whose affinity for country ballads didn't deter her from winning the fourth installment of a competition that is geared more toward audiences of MTV than the Grand Ole Opry.

Since winning "Idol" in May, Underwood's career has been in full-throttle mode, from promoting her single, "Inside Your Heaven" — which debuted atop the Billboard Hot 100, Pop 100 and Country Singles charts — to making rounds on talk shows and crisscrossing the country on the American Idols Live! tour.

The traveling show, featuring the top 10 finalists from the television show, including runner-up rocker Bo Bice, will stop at the Everett Events Center on Tuesday night.

Underwood's ascent from unknown singer to "American Idol" has a Cinderellalike flavor: A young woman grows up on a farm in bucolic Checotah, Okla., gets plucked from obscurity and is catapulted to a $1 million recording contract and nationwide fame. A media blitz and high-profile endorsements (with Hershey's and Skechers footwear) solidify the fresh-faced 22-year-old's place in pop-culture lore.

Idols Live!

The American Idols Live! tour, featuring the top 10 singers from this season's show — including Carrie Underwood, Anwar Robinson, Constantine Maroulis, Nadia Turner and Bo Bice — will stop at the Everett Events Center at 7 p.m. Tuesday.

Underwood spoke recently about her Idol-ized life.

"It has been crazy," Underwood said in a phone interview during a tour stop in Massachusetts.

"Everything has been a complete whirlwind, and I'm just trying to keep my head on straight. It's important to keep in touch with people who knew me before, and I talk to my mom every day [to stay grounded]."

Although Underwood had minimal singing experience, aside from church and school pageants, she persuaded her mother to make the eight-hour drive from their home to St. Louis to audition for "American Idol."

Since Underwood's win, life has been at turns surreal and gratifying.

"I get to do what I love every day. It's the best thing," she said. "If it all ends, I have had the best time in my life."

With a kind of vintage country-Western sound and a palpable sweetness, Underwood made an impression on the judges early on, garnering admiration from the churlish but often spot-on Simon Cowell.

Though Underwood is known for her angelic voice and calm presence on stage, she's quick to concede she doesn't know where it all comes from.

"Nobody else in my family is musically inclined," she said.

But singing live in front of a raucous live audience — plus a viewing audience of more than 20 million each week — has forced Underwood to overcome a natural diffidence.

"I'm a very shy person," she said. "But I feel like I'm coming out of my shell a little more."

For Underwood, there were no reservations when it came to expressing her affinity for country music, even when she was performing songs from the disco era or pop hits from the 1980s.

"It was a little strange because I thought people might not relate to me," she said. "A lot of people have this funny stereotype about country music. But whether I won or not, I wanted the type of contract to do a country record. That's where my heart is."

After the tour, Underwood will hunker down in a studio in Nashville, Tenn., to record her debut full-length album, a genuine country-Western effort.

Fans may need not worry that Underwood will succumb to the pressures of the music industry to taint or tart up her image. Tammy Wynette's "Your Good Girl's Gonna Go Bad" isn't likely to be Underwood's theme song.

"I don't ever want to be risqué or compromise my morals or values for any kind of offer," she said. "I just want to be me."

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ht...83_idol17n.html

On August 25th, CMT's Top 20 Countdown will premiere the performance of Carrie Underwood and Jamie O'Neal's "Does He Love You" from CMT's 100 Greatest Duets as a music video. The Top 20 Countdown starts 4:30 P.M. eastern time, though I have no idea when during the show it will be premiered.

Another nice interview with Carrie this time from the Sacramento Bee. I posted the link but you have to register. Anyway, enjoy.

http://www.sacticket.com/music/stor...-14275161c.html

Here's the Article:

Some 'Idol' thoughts
    Country-singing Carrie Underwood talks about her life on the road and as a star
    By Chris Macias -- Bee Pop Music Critic

Little girls don't want to be Miss America when they grow up anymore. They want to be Carrie Underwood, the "American Idol" with the Cinderella-like story. Until she was crowned your "American Idol" in May, Underwood was singing to, well, just about nobody in her hometown of Checotah, Okla. But the doe-eyed singer bested thousands of would-be Mariah Careys and Shania Twains to land a finalist spot on "American Idol," the mother of all TV talent shows.

Millions of votes from the general public later, Underwood and her country-pop act emerged as the winner. And now the 22-year-old is cashing in with a record contract, plus celebrity endorsement gigs for Hershey's chocolates and Skechers shoes.

You'll find Underwood driving Arco Arena into a screaming, glow-stick-waving frenzy Sunday night when she and her fellow "American Idol" finalists come to Sacramento. (For audio clips of Underwood, visit www.sacticket.com.)

But the "American Idol" life isn't always a box of Hershey's chocolates, especially when you've had to deal with snarky "American Idol" judge Simon Cowell on a regular basis. Here's what Underwood had to say in a phone call from Ohio.

Q: What's a typical day like for the American Idol?

A: I usually wake up and I think: "OK, now where am I right now?" We load up all of our stuff and go do a show. Then we pack up all of our stuff and head to the next town and do it all over again - check into hotels at like 3, 4 in the morning - and I think we like have a 10-hour drive somewhere.

Q: What's the scene like on the bus?

A: Buses are usually sleep time for me. I'm an old person, honestly. Sleep is very important to me, so I usually spend most of my time on the bus sleeping. Other people, not so much.

There's a couple TVs and a radio, which gets people in trouble every once in a while. Somebody has to go back there and be like: "Turn it down!"

Q: Do you get the best bunk because you're the American Idol?

A: No. Everything is kept as equal as possible. We all get the same rooms. If we fly coach, we all fly coach.

Q: Do you at least get your own hotel room?

A: We all get our own room. We spend enough time together. That's our only alone time. That's something that's been definitely a little difficult to deal with. I'm an alone kind of person, and I like my self time where I can, you know, pamper myself.

Q: What about the perks of being an American Idol, besides all the Hershey's chocolate and Skechers shoes?

A: It's just the security knowing that I can do what I want to do right now. There's this thing I've always dreamt about doing, and I finally get to (do it). And just to reflect on it, it's been amazing to think about all the cool stuff I've got to do and that I'll remember for the rest of my life.

Q: Has going on the road for the first time been a big learning experience?

A: I consider this a big training portion of my life, that hopefully this will prepare me for whatever's coming up after this is over with. I've never been able to perform in front of this many people.

I never really realized how much work went into it. You just think of these celebrity musicians, whatever, going around from place to place. All they do is walk on stage and sing every night. Well, that's not the case. You've got to learn time management, speech management. There's a lot more to it than I thought.

Q: OK, the Carrie Underwood album. What can you tell us about that?

A: It's definitely going to be country. That's where I belong. I know that. We're working very hard on it, figuring out exactly what songs are going to be on it. There's going to be a couple of breaks in the tour where there's two days off. During those breaks, I'm going to be flying to Nashville and going to be working on it. We're working very hard and as soon as the tour's over, I'm practically going to be living in the studio.

Q: At some point will you want to shed the "American Idol" connection and just be known as Carrie Underwood?

A: I know what got me here. Fortunately, country music is very, very accepting because they know millions of people voted kind of for one of their own. I don't think it'll ever be detrimental to my career at all. I'll do whatever Christmas specials that "American Idol" wants me to do because I'm so grateful.

Q: "American Idol" auditions are coming soon, so what advice do you have for someone who wants to be the next Carrie Underwood?

A: Just throw caution to the wind. What do you have to lose, seriously? That's what I thought. I was like: "Why not?" I was 21 years old at the time; what do I have to lose? Nothing.

Q: What about tips for dealing with Simon?

A: Uhmmmmmm ... goodness. I think everyone's just got to work that one out for themselves.

American Idols LiveWHEN: 7 p.m. Sunday

WHERE: Arco Arena

HOW MUCH: $35 -$45

INFORMATION: (916) 649-8497 (Ticketmaster)

Below is a link to a really good article about Carrie. Normally I would paste the article but it is 3 pages long. So instead of taking up bandwidth here I figured if you want to read it it is just a click away. They have many nice things to say about Carrie & her AI win as well as her chances at being a star in the future.

http://www.askmen.com/women/singer_2...underwood.html

For those who aren't aware, Carrie performed a duet with Jamie O'Neal at the CMA Fanfest in Nashville a couple of months ago. Well, CMT is releasing the performance to the video crowd & it will also be included in the August 25th version of the Top 20 Countdown. It will also be a part of the CMT 100 greatest duets show to be aired sometime mid Sept.. If you are interested in seeing Carrie's coming out performance click here and watch the video. It really is a great performance by both ladies & Carrie is really well received.

http://www.cmt.com/artists/az/underw...e/artist.jhtml

Jamie O'Neal and Carrie Underwood's version of the 1993 hit, "Does He Love You," is now available for free video streaming at CMT.com. O'Neal's performance with the American Idol winner took place in June when the special, CMT 100 Greatest Duets, was taped live in Nashville. Reba McEntire recorded the original version of the song as a vocal collaboration with Linda Davis. The video's television premiere takes place Thursday (Aug. 25) on CMT's Top Twenty Countdown.

+ Reply to Thread