+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood

I haven't seen the commercials yet, but it doesn't seem as though Hershey advertises at all on the channels I seem to haunt. As to the CMA thing. I really hope they show her performance because she really got rave reviews, & I honestly think they will show it because she has really brought a lot of attention to the Country music scene for a lot of people that never listened before. And her Nashville mgmt. team seem to not miss any opportunities to get her name before the public. I figure they are pushing hard to get her shown.

Carrie is coming close to a couple of milestones.
    After 6 weeks IYH stands at 95,110 Digital Downloads. It takes 100,000 to achieve gold. So she needs just 4,890 more for Gold.
    She has physical sales of 355,066 & needs 144,934 to achieve Gold status for physical sales.
    She is close for both & may achieve the digital download status as early as next week.

Katharine McPhee fan Akuma24601's Avatar
    Carrie's single has gone gold NOW!
    Check out the Hot 100 chart and you'll see there's a circle next to her name.
    http://www.billboard.com/bb/charts/hot100.jsp
    03/28/06: The Day That AD Died "TV is not as good as it used to be." - Maeby Funke

There's a new news article online where Carrie was interviewed. It's a 3-page article and accessing it may require some registration information, so here's some excerpts:

'Idol' winner Carrie in heaven on tour and making her album

Is "Inside Your Heaven" indicative of the material we'll hear on your upcoming album?

It was the winner's single, so whoever won had to sing it.
    It's a pretty song and it's difficult to sing, because it has highs and lows. It's kind of non-genre-specific, too.
    My album is definitely going to be a country album.

These days, there's country music and then there's country music.

Right. There are different kinds.

So what kind of country can we expect from you?

It all depends. There isn't one single artist I can think of who I don't like in the country genre. It's so broad now, which is wonderful. I'm not really thinking I'm going to do a Gretchen Wilson or a Sugarland. Whatever I feel is what's going to be on my album. We haven't set a date, but we'd like to have it around November.

Will the album include any songs written by you?

I've helped out on a few, but I figure it's best to let the pros do what they do. We've had so many of the best writers sending us stuff, writers for Tim McGraw, Faith Hill, Keith Urban, Rascal Flatts, Gretchen Wilson - pretty much anybody you can think of.

Do you have other irons in the fire - acting offers, for instance?

No. I'm not an actress. I'm a singer. I might do some cameo appearances once in a while, but I'd never have my own movie.
    I'd like to do charity work. People who have the power to change the world, or some small aspect of it, should do it.
    I'm an animal advocate. There definitely aren't enough people who are speaking for animals. If I can talk a few people into spaying and neutering their animals, I'll be happy.
    http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/friday/1122629404108980.xml&coll=2&th ispage=1
    03/28/06: The Day That AD Died "TV is not as good as it used to be." - Maeby Funke

First as to the GOLD RECORD thing: that is for shipping 500,000 units to the stores. Next comes the digital down loads GOLD designation. She was less that 5,000 from 100,000 needed for GOLD in that category. If I am not mistake when she hits the download mark she will then have the first single to be designated GOLD in both categories. If I am wrong I am sure someone will correct me, but it looks like Carrie has the GOLDEN touch. And this with a song that she so diplomaticaly said in that interview was a pretty song a non genre specific song that was tough to sing. Not really very high praise, but she sidestepped the issue of saying she would not have sung it if she didn't have to.

As to the writing songs issue, I presume she will get partial credit for almost every song on the album. She will definitely have some input, but songwriting credit is one way for a singer to get a bigger slice of the royalty pie for sales & radio play. Writers tend to give up some of this in order to get their songs recorded. I see her writing more as her career goes along, but for this album I think the true song writing heavy weights will be front & center.

Just a brief update on the past couple of months, but it does mention a future fashion photo shoot.

http://www.teenpeople.com/teenpeople...87413,00.shtml

Idol Update: Carrie Underwood
    The country girl is popping up everywhere, including the pages of TEEN PEOPLE!
    By Aaron Parsley
    Jul 27, 2005 11:00AM EDT

Courtesy FOX
    Randy, Paula and Simon have left the building, Ryan Seacrest is out for a while and the confetti has settled, but Idol winner Carrie Underwood's ride is just beginning. The self described country girl from Oklahoma who beat out Bo Bice and tens of thousands of other contestants is getting busy and making headlines. Not only is she the star of the American Idol tour that is criss-crossing the country this summer, her single "Inside Your Heaven," which debuted at the number one spot on Billboard's Hot 100, is holding strong in the top 20.

Meanwhile, she's just been voted the "World's Sexiest Vegetarian," a title she shares with Coldplay's Chris Martin. More than 13,000 votes were cast in a contest run by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) and the 22-year-old farm girl, who wore a "V is for Vegetarian" T-shirt on the Fox talent competition, beat out other sexy herbivores like Reese Witherspoon, Avril Lavigne and Joaquin Pheonix as well as previous winners like Tobey Maguire, Andre 3000, Josh Hartnett, Alicia Silverstone and Natalie Portman. She may have grown up on a farm, but Carrie has said she'd rather sing to the cows than eat them. Yee-haw!

Something she will eat (and sing about) is Hershey's. Carrie has become a spokesperson for the chocolate maker and she'll be singing familiar tunes about their products like Almond Joy and Mounds ("Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't") and Kit Kat Bars ("Gimme a Break... "). But that's not it: Carrie is literally filling the shoes of pop idols, Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera. In a new ad campaign, Carrie is leaving her boots under the bed and putting on Sketchers in an endorsement deal with the California sneaker company.

To top it all off, you can see more of Carrie in the September issue of TEEN PEOPLE. Miss Underwood plays up her country image in a fabulous fashion spread that takes the prairie look to a whole new level. Check it out, y'all!

Those Teen People pics are amazing!
    GACTV.com recently put up an informative bio about Carrie:

Everyone knows Carrie Underwood, the winner of the fourth season of “American Idol.” But there are some things about her you don’t know. Even though she grew up on a farm in Oklahoma, she has never milked a cow in her life. Her favorite television series of all time is “Star Trek: The Next Generation.” And as a child, she used to pick four-leaf clovers and wish that she would be a famous singer one day.

Her wish was granted, thanks to the millions of viewers who voted for her on the popular TV series. Now signed to 19 Recordings/Arista Records, Carrie’s first release is the smash hit “Inside Your Heaven”, which debuted as the best selling song in the nation with sales of 170,000. The single tops Billboard’s Hot 100, Pop 100, the Singles Sales chart and the Country Singles chart and Underwood also breaks Billboard chart history as the first country music artist ever to debut at #1 on the Hot 100. Underwood’s “Inside Your Heaven” also becomes the first song from a country artist to go to #1 on the Hot 100 since Lonestar’s “Amazed” did so in 2000.

Carrie has been very busy since the late May win, publicizing her smash hit single and also meeting with producers in Nashville to develop a recording plan for her first country album, due out this fall. On July 12 the “American Idol” concert tour launches and will play 40+ dates through September.

Carrie was born March 10, 1983. Her family already owned the farm in Checotah, Oklahoma, though Carrie was born in the next town over, the one made famous in a Merle Haggard song, Muskogee. Carrie’s father Stephen worked at a paper mill and her mother Carole was an elementary school teacher. Carrie is the youngest of three sisters. Shanna is 13 years older and Stephanie is 10 years older. Carrie was just four years old when Shanna moved out on her own, but says that her siblings have always been there for her.

Music didn’t run in the family, but Carrie started singing at church when she was three years old. Once she was in school, she sang solo roles in student plays, especially at Christmas. “There was never a day where I woke up and said, ‘I can sing!’, it was just a natural thing for me.” says Carrie.

By seventh grade, people were taking more notice of her voice and she entered local talent shows. She was told she had a “big voice” for “such a little girl.”

Her taste in music was varied, thanks to her parents and sisters. “My mom and dad loved oldies. I remember thinking I was going to get mom to stop listening to that music if it was the last thing I did. But now I really appreciate it. I grew up listening to the Four Seasons and the Bee Gees, John Denver and the Beatles. I learned to love the music of the ’80s through my sisters. And growing up in Oklahoma, it was hard not to know country music really well. I started listening to it in the car and then my mom and dad picked up on it.”

She was involved in her high school music program, but she kept wishing on those four-leaf clovers and told people she was going to become a famous singer. Then she enrolled at Northeastern State University in Tahlequah, Oklahoma, and became more serious about her career choice. “I knew I could hold a tune but I figured it was time to grow up.” Carrie chose broadcast journalism for her major and produced a student-run television program, and wrote for the school paper, The Northeastern.

Music wasn’t completely out of the picture. She had a role in a country music show at college, where she learned about country legends like Patsy Cline and the Carter Family. She entered the Miss NSU Scholarship Pageant two years in a row, placing in the top three both times. “But I’m not a pageant girl,” she confesses. “My platform was about animals and it didn’t seem to conform to their ideas. I wasn’t going to change it because it’s what I’m passionate about. Ever since I was little I’ve loved animals. They depend on people to take care of them. If you told me I could never sing again, I’d say that was horrible, but it’s not my life. If you told me I could never be around animals again, I would just die.”

Carrie was still taking her college classes when friends encouraged her to audition for “American Idol.” At first, she didn’t want to audition in case she didn’t make it, “I thought I’d have to give up my dream of singing, and I didn’t want to do that.” Then she realized if she didn’t audition, she would graduate, get a job and may never have a chance to try out for the show again. So one night after wrapping an appearance in the college country music show at 10 p.m., she piled into the car with her mom, a friend and her mother and drove all night, arriving in St. Louis at six in the morning. They had to be at the stadium by 8 a.m. to receive wristbands to be eligible for the auditions. Then Carrie waited eight hours before singing Martina McBride’s “Phones Are Ringing All Over Town” for “American Idol” supervising producer James Breen. “I was so tired, I didn’t care what happened,” Carrie says with a laugh. “While I was singing I was thinking I’m not doing a very good job and I might as well go home. I drove eight hours for nothing.” But she was invited to come back the next day and sing for executive producer Nigel Lythgoe.

Carrie sang another McBride song for Lythgoe, “Independence Day.” Nigel told her, “See that lady over there? She’s got a big stack of papers that say you’re going on to the next round. You better go get one!” But then he added, “You know that Simon (Cowell) hates country music, right?” “Yes,” Carrie replied. “Good luck!” Nigel exclaimed.

Carrie sang Bonnie Raitt’s “I Can’t Make You Love Me” for the judges. Randy said good job and Simon surprised her when he said, “I was wondering if we’d get a good country singer out of this.”

The judges sent Carrie to Hollywood, which meant she had to board an airplane for the first time in her life. She made it into the top 24 and then the top 12. As the weeks went by, the other contestants were voted off the show one by one, until the finale May 25 when it was Carrie Underwood vs. Bo Bice. When Ryan Seacrest announced the winner, the country had a new American Idol: the 22-year-old blonde from Oklahoma who loves animals and who can really sing, and who is already a formidable presence on the record charts.
    http://www.gactv.com/artists/underwood_c.html

A delightful look at how Carrie is doing while on the road.

http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/m...bottom_hedsh2o

'Idol' worship
    Carrie Underwood confronts Internet admirers and marriage proposals

By Matt Pais

Carrie Underwood may be the latest manufactured pop music sensation, but the most recent "American Idol" winner-just named the sexiest female vegetarian in the world by an online PETA poll-didn't exactly grow up glamorous. The 22-year-old singer is the daughter of a paper mill worker and an elementary school teacher, was raised on a farm, sang in her church choir and wore braces for two years to adjust "awful" teeth.

On the phone from Washington, D.C., Underwood talked to us about country, candy and love at first Internet posting.

What has life been like since you won "American Idol"?

It's been pretty crazy. I've been in L.A. or New York or Nashville or all over the place ever since. I got to go home for about a total of a week.

How did you celebrate right after you won? I really didn't. Right afterwards there was a whole, whole lot of press to do, so the week after, all day, every day, was press so I didn't really get a chance to celebrate.

Someone on the "American Idol" message board claims to be in love with you.

There's a lot of things that are said on the "American Idol" message board. I quit reading them because most of the people are very mean. But it's nice to know you have support. Last night I got a marriage proposal. I just laughed, and he was like, "No, seriously, will you marry me?" He was like: "I'm 22. We're a perfect match. We're a perfect match!"

Did he have a ring?

No. I should've asked, "Where's the ring?"

Would that have changed things at all?

No. If he did, I probably would have been like: "Security! This crazy person went out and bought me a ring."

Would you ever consider dating another "American Idol" contestant?

Certainly not from this year; I know them too well. But, I mean, if there were one that I liked or something.

You grew up on a farm but never milked a cow?

No, we don't have milk cows. People have so many stereotypes of people from where I come from. If you say you're from Oklahoma, it'll be like, "Oh, so you milk cows, feed chickens, ride bulls, all that stuff, right?" And it's like: "No. We don't ride around in covered wagons, either."

Is it true that you can take the girl out of the country but you can't take the country out of the girl?

That's right. It's so weird now because so many people always try to help me carry my luggage and help me do things I can do myself. If I can do it myself, I'm going to do it myself. I'm not going to let other people do it for me, and I think that's a big part of where I came from. I'm not a real prissy girl.

Can you do a better jig than Ashlee Simpson?

Probably. [Laughs] Hopefully I'll never be in a situation like that, though, so I won't have to.

Have you received a lifetime supply of candy, thanks to your Hershey's ad campaign?

You know, I'm fighting a losing battle here: I'm trying to lose some weight. I had to eat a lot of chocolate for the commercial. I love chocolate; that's one of my biggest downfalls. I haven't gotten a whole lot of chocolate, thank goodness, because I'd probably be about 300 pounds.

Wow...Thanks razorbacker for the constant update
    Well, I was thinking when he said, "king of the jungle," I was, like, "Well, during the first challenge you would still be lost in the jungle if Jim and I hadn't, like, led you out. - Brooke Struck on Judd

Love is like the wind...You can't see it, but you can feel it

There's a new article about Carrie being back in Oklahoma:

http://www.muskogeephoenix.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050811/NEWS01/508110305/1002

Carrie honored by governor

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) - Carrie Underwood, the sweet, emotional American Idol winner, was hailed Wednesday as Oklahoma's No. 1 ambassador by Gov. Brad Henry, who presented her with a replica of highway signs posted outside her hometown of Checotah.

Tears welled in Underwood's eyes after Henry called her "a quintessential Oklahoman" who was loved for being "a genuine person" as for her singing talent.

"It's so good to be home ... . I know I don't deserve any of this," said Underwood, who was in Oklahoma for a concert in Norman, along with many of her former competitors on Fox Network's American Idol television show.

Two 18-feet-by-7 feet signs and two 14-by-6-feet signs were posted along Interstate 40 and U.S. 69 outside Checotah, about 120 miles east of Oklahoma City. They read: "Checotah, Home of Carrie Underwood, American Idol 2005."

"These signs reflect the great pride that we Oklahomans have for Carrie," the governor said. "Carrie is talented, graceful, charming, hardworking and a testament to what can happen when people follow their dreams."

Underwood, 22, said the American Idol concert tour has been fun, but a little hectic at times.

For instance, her tour bus did not roll into Oklahoma until early Wednesday. "The first thing I did this morning when we got in was take a shower. We'd been on the bus all night, so I really needed one."

She said it was the first time she had been at the Capitol since she was a legislative page.

The best thing about her experience as the American Idol winner is that "I just get to do what I love every single day," she said, calling herself "the luckiest person in the world."

Underwood, who wept unabashedly when she won the American Idol contest in May, said she brags on her state every where she goes. "If we ever run into a problem anywhere, I say, 'this would not happen in Oklahoma."'

A lover of chocolate, she said she has been "doing good" limiting her indulgence to "just a little a day."

She shrugged off a question about having a boyfriend. "I don't think there's really that much time" for dating, she said.

Despite her busy singing career, endorsements and various show business opportunities, Underwood said she hopes to finish the half semester she lacks to get her college degree. She said she also plans to do charity work for the American Humane Society.

As her news conference was wrapping up, 10-year-old Ashley Acker of South Lake, Texas, stepped to the podium, held out a camera and asked if Underwood would be in a photograph with her.

Underwood smiled and put her arms around the little girl as someone took a picture. She then signed autographs for several admirers before being whisked away by handlers.

Ashley, brought to the Capitol by her grandmother, Diane Raney of Checotah, said she was not afraid to approach the celebrity in front of the jammed packed Blue Room outside the governor's office.

"I was excited. I think she is very nice. She's got a really great voice. She's my hero and my idol. I want to be a singer just like Carrie," Ashley said.

+ Reply to Thread