+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 194 FirstFirst ... 3434445464748495051525354555657585960616263103153 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Bo Bice

So did Bo hint that he was previously a stoner in his 90's reflection piece? Kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by suncat7
    My favorite thing about Bo (okay, other than he sings great and he's oh-so-handsome!) is that he is genuine.
    I totally agree and it's not something I usually look out for. His hapiness, warmth and lack of ego just exude so naturally from him.

The hair. Enh. The only time I thought it looked kind of hot was this last performance when he took off the cow hat. Not sure why, because I think his hair was a little bit sweaty or something, which should make me hurl, but it worked somehow.

As to whether or not he should win, I'm operating under the assumption that he wants to win. And I think even if the 19E contract is repressive, it's probably better financially than he could do on his own without AI, doing the bar circuit with his band. Creatively is where he might run into problems. I'm convinced the legendary Clive Davis doesn't know a hit song from a hole in the ground. I don't trust that they would do Bo justice. I think all three winners plus Clay were great singers and should have been able to put out hit songs, but none did initially, with the exception of the Miss Independent single.

Article from The Birmingham News--4/01/05:
    http://www.al.com/music/birminghamne...5749234830.xml

Mo' points about Bo, and what you may not know
    Friday, April 01, 2005

Questionable haberdashery and a bad pun can't stop us from rooting for Bo Bice, the singer from Helena who's shot straight to the top of the heap on "American Idol."
    On Tuesday, Bice lost a few points with judge Simon Cowell for singing "Remedy" by the Black Crowes on `90s night, and fans have been quibbling about his (sigh) floppy, cow-print hat. After he sang, Bice threw in a quip about his performance being a "mooving experience" and, well, it's been kind of hard to hang with that.

Liked the way he jumped on the judges table, though - a move no other contestant has ever dared on the past three seasons of "Idol."

Take that fact and store it in your mental file as we continue to watch our hometown hero do his best to ace the nationally televised contest on the Fox network. It's Wednesday afternoon, and I'm betting that Bice will survive the cut easily this week, despite any missteps, entering the top nine with a Southern rock flourish.

Meantime, here's some Bo trivia to tide us over until next Tuesday:

His mother, Nancy Downes, made her first tip to Hollywood this week and could be spotted on TV briefly, clapping enthusiastically for her son. Downes, a former model with long blond hair, is quite the looker and vivacious as they come. You'd never guess she's old enough to have a 29-year-old son.

He is bunking at a hotel in the Los Angeles area. In the past, "Idol" contestants stayed together in a house, "Real World" style, but that never provided much drama on the show. Nikko Smith was Bice's roommate before Smith was voted off by viewers three weeks ago. No word on hotel arrangements since then, though, and we're not sure if Smith became Bice's roomie again upon his return.

His church, New Hope Cumberland Presbyterian, hands out pamphlets to fans who attend Tuesday night viewing parties at the fellowship hall in Shelby County. They include a photo of Bice (even the Rev. Donny Acton admits Bice looks like Jesus) and the church's motto: "The place where misfits fit."

He is a member of a Bible study group that meets Mondays at the home of fellow church members Jessie and Dale Dunnaway. The Dunnaways, a kindly couple, say Bice has eaten lunch at their house often in the past and is fond of chicken and dumplings.

He misses his pets - two dogs, three cats, two turtles - and inquires after their welfare during phone conversations with friends. According to John Cooper and Shane Sexton, longtime pals and members of Bice's band, SugarMoney, Bice wants to make sure his box turtles are being fed regularly.

Animal lovers, take note: Cooper and Sexton say the cats are mixed breed, and the dogs are a hound (they're thinking Bassett) and a small, fluffy terrier.

He met his girlfriend, Caroline Fisher, at the Ragtime Cafe on Valleydale Road. Bice, who worked at the nearby Guitar Gallery, made a habit of having lunch there and chatting with the owner, Rodney Zimmerman.

Many of the outfits he's worn on "Idol" are whipped up by his grandmother, "Granny Madge" Schofield of Somerville. Her sewing machine has been humming as Schofield makes and customizes shirts and pants. Word is, she's been working on a suit made of a fabric she calls "liquid leather."

At least one scrap from a Schofield creation (a shirt Bice wore while covering "Drift Away") has been up for sale on eBay. Other fan memorabilia can be found there, too.

His cousin, Evie Hawkins of Somerville, has established a lively business selling "Bice Squad" T-shirts for $20 each. Proceeds, she emphasizes, go directly to Bice to help him with expenses while he's on "Idol." Apparently, it's a pricey proposition. According to Hawkins, a grilled-cheese sandwich in Bice's hotel costs $14.

He has been homesick for Alabama cooking, grits in particular. "I ordered some in a restaurant, and they looked at me like I was stupid," he says, laughing. "Then they brought me some pancakes."

Fans have been worrying, speculating and arguing over Bice's dental hygiene, or lack of it. Apparently, some of them have spotted a missing tooth (a bicuspid seems to be the general consensus) and believe he should get it replaced right away. And floss more often.

He is a graduate of the North Alabama School of Massage. His mother says she sometimes asks Bice to bring his massage table when he visits her at her home in metro Atlanta.

He is named after his father, Harold Elwin Bice, a Hartselle resident. But Bice is much closer to his mother and was raised by her.

He has gotten wind of criticisms from detractors who don't know him personally, but find him arrogant on television. "You have to have a thick skin in this business," he says. "What I say is: If you don't like me, let's sit down and have dinner."

Another sore spot: Strangers who carp (believe it or not) about Bice having high-tech music gear at his home, and the ability to record there. "I worked very hard for many years to acquire a home studio," he says. "I can't believe people have a problem with that."

Living in Helena appealed to him because Bice finds the city secluded and beautiful. When asked for a comment about his adopted hometown in a recent interview, Bice responded, "I'd like to thank the mayor." That's Charles W. "Sonny" Penhale (www.sonny-penhale.com).

When he played in a Huntsville band, Purge, a group of strippers became devoted to the musicians and would show up regularly in support of them. "That was the biggest problem we had then - women getting naked," says drummer Shane Sexton. It put a cramp in the proceedings, Sexton says, when the band members tried to have real relationships with females.

E-mail: mcolurso@bhamnews.com

Ha ha, great article on so many levels! I love having the older contestants participating... They have many more interesting things to report because they've had more time to accomplish interesting things! Who'da thunk it...Bo a masseuse? Church-goer, political hobnobber, high-tech recorder, grunge rocker... I like him more and more. Didn't realize he's from Montana now, that's cool.

There is a Helena in Alabama as well.

ooops (Helena, AL)

There is also a Helena Arkansas. Ah, geography lessons early in the morning!

FORT Newbie

Corner of the Sky

Did anyone else pick up that Bo messed up the lyrics to Corner of the Sky in last night's episode?

Funny that you mention that. I don't know the song but I thought that he forgot the words toward the beginning of the song.

Having been a frequent Broadway attendee, I have to say that most all of the leading men sing exactly like Bo did last night. He's got a very similar voice to Adam Pascal, a Tony award winning singer in productions like Aida and Rent. I thought his voice was perfect for the genre.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

☆ Janie Queen of BB cottoncandy's Avatar
    Hmm I think he could have at least put a little more effort into choosing a song than just closing his eyes and pointing randomly. Maybe I shouldn't complain since I haven't liked the songs he has chosen: Time in a Bottle, Spinning Wheel, etc.

+ Reply to Thread