+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 194 FirstFirst ... 39404142434445464748495051525354555657585999149 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Bo Bice

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Several comments aimed at other members removed

You don't have to agree with another member's opinion, but you DO have to respect it, and realize that it IS just an opinion, which may differ greatly from your own.
    Along the same lines, comments like "you must be deaf if you don't hear what I hear", "anyone who doesn't agree is an idiot", and so on are not acceptable. Practice the golden rule, and treat others like you would want to be treated.

Our contestant threads are NOT specifically for "only good comments" regarding that contestant. They are for discussion of that contestant, both good and bad. We are not a fan-site for any one contestant, or any one show.

Members who are flaming, baiting, or insulting other members will be removed from the site.
    http://www.fansofrealitytv.com/forum...es#faq_be_nice

In other words not everyone thinks Bo is God .

Carry on....

Nobody said that Bo was God (helloooooo). But there is no reason to suggest that because a guy has long hair that they are necessarily street bums or herion addicts, either. Many men with long hair throughout history--I'm not calling any names of any historical or even biblical figures for fear of offense--have been good people.

If this had been said about a contestant that I like less, like Constantine, it would still be an offensive thing to say and totally unwarranted. That would be like saying that all rappers have been in jail or shot six times, or that all country singers are alcoholics who are divorced and rely on the dog for companionship. Just illogical stereotyping.
    fka kickstand

Can Ya Dig It?

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Insulting a mod isn't a good idea. Especially when they are quoting the rules which you agreed to when you joined. There will be people who will not agree with you. Those who don't go by our rules will be removed.

Back to Bolicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Qbert
    Someone please tell this guy that the strung-out hippy look isn't cool. If you're going to have long hair, at least have some style. He looks like someone who will get voted off AI and immediately develop a heroin addiction. He's already got the look of a street bum, now he should just go out and get the high to match.
    Yeah, maybe Bo can get high with Carrie, whose strained smile is suspicious and she did sing a Janis Joplin song after all (LSD anyone?). Scott, wow, that dude looks so hyper he's got to have some coke (not the soda) stashed away backstage. And don't get me started on Jessica: Her weirdly staring eyes look like they've seen too much weed in her day.

Bo should just cut his hair short and look respectable, like Robert Downey Jr. or Charlie Sheen.

Atop the highhhhhest weathervane in Spain!
    Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam
    Bo should just cut his hair short and look respectable, like Robert Downey Jr. or Charlie Sheen.
    That was perfection.

Article from The Birmingham News, 3/25/05:

http://www.al.com/entertainment/birm...0167283860.xml

Bo and the boys
    SugarMoney mates rooting for Bo Bice to keep rockin' on 'American Idol'
    Friday, March 25, 2005
    MARY COLURSO
    News staff writer

John Cooper and Shane Sexton lit a couple of cigarettes and started storytelling outside the Ragtime Cafe on Valleydale Road.

It was a warm Sunday afternoon, and the musicians were feeling pretty loose, having just completed a TV interview for "American Idol."

All the laughter and reminiscing abruptly stopped, however, when a slim, pretty brunette walked past their table, heading to her car in the parking lot.

"Hold on there, dear," they called. "Just a minute."

Those were not pick-up lines - far from it. Cooper, 31, and Sexton, 28, were merely fulfilling a promise they'd made to their friend, Bo Bice. While Bice, 29, is in Los Angeles, competing against other vocalists on a Fox reality series, Cooper and Sexton have vowed to look out for his girlfriend in Alabama.

On this particular occasion, that meant fretting over the air pressure in one of her front tires, mak ing sure Caroline Fisher (who also had filmed an interview) wouldn't get a flat on her way home or struggle with gas-station equipment.

In their opinions, it's the least fellow band members can do.

"We're brothers," Cooper says. "We're 100 percent supportive," Sexton chimes in.

Meet two of the three players in SugarMoney, Bice's pre-"Idol" rock group.

Cooper, a bassist, and Sexton, a drummer, have been the rhythm section for the long-haired singer and guitarist since 1994, when they founded a Huntsville band called Purge.

They've stuck together through nightclub dates and low-budget tours, festival sets and recording sessions. A handful of other musicians have come and gone, leaving the core trio intact. The band's name has changed a couple of times - from Purge to Blue Suede Nickel to SugarMoney.

But as far as Bice is concerned, the collaboration remains sweet.

"They've been my best friends for over 11 years," he says. "I talk to them every day. I love them, and they know it. They're over the moon about me being on the show."

No jealousy allowed in this candy shop; SugarMoney wants its frontman to snatch the "Idol" crown and wave it high, in the name of rockers everywhere.

Bice - a Helena resident with a penchant for Southern rock, soul, funk and blues - has been one of the front-running finalists on "American Idol," a nationally televised contest that draws millions of viewers each week.

About three years older than previous finalists, with substantial bar-band experience that renders him calm in the spotlight, Bice doesn't fit the stereotype of a gawky rookie.

He's a seasoned veteran who gives props to the studio hands, offers respect to the house band and has a mental list of cover tunes already at his disposal.

"We've known him for the past decade; he's built for this," Sexton says.

"As soon as he said he was going to try out for 'American Idol,' I knew," Cooper adds. "I said, 'This guy is fixin' to be on national TV.'"

Because Bice has advanced so far on the series, besting 100,000 hopefuls in the initial auditions and (as of Wednesday) was widely expected to survive a cut this week that would bring him into the top 10, SugarMoney is fixin' to get some national exposure, too.

An "Idol" camera crew recently paid a visit to Bice's hometown, shooting interviews with family and friends at one of his favorite haunts, the Ragtime Cafe in Shelby County. Bice previously worked at the nearby Guitar Gallery, and was fond of eating lunch at the restaurant with its owner, Rodney Zimmerman.

Cooper and Sexton, who live in Nashville, say they needed no coaxing to come south for the film session. While in Birmingham, the duo also recorded backing tracks at WorkPlay for a "Go, Bo!" promotional spot on Fox 6.

"We put so much work and so much time into SugarMoney, so it's good to know that something came out of it," Sexton says.

Of necessity, the band has gone on hiatus while Bice is in California, obeying stipulations in his "Idol" contract. However, the SugarMoney Web site www.sugarmoney.net has received about 31,000 hits in the past 2 weeks, Cooper says.

Even better, SugarMoney has received at least 500 e-mail requests for fan merchandise since Bice began his "Idol" quest, Cooper says. To satisfy the demand, the band has re-released its five-track EP, "Recipe for Flavor," and printed a new batch of SugarMoney T-shirts, decals and can huggers.

If all goes as planned, the items should be available on the Web site today, the group says. Meantime, fans can download excerpts from four songs: "Hold On," "Jesus is My Neighbor," "Coffee Tables & Coattails" and "Papion."

Before Bice leaped into the public's consciousness, he appeared with SugarMoney an average of three times per month, mostly at nightclubs on the Southern circuit. The band also booked an occasional festival.

The highlight of their performing career with Bice, Cooper and Sexton say, was a 1995 set at Huntsville's Big Spring Jam for 8,000-10,000 people.

Bice got so jazzed he climbed a lighting rig on the side of the stage, going about 35 feet in the air, Cooper says.

"The crowd went crazy. And he stage-dived," Sexton recalls. "We nailed every song. We always played good under pressure.'"

Like any other working band, SugarMoney has done its share of dud dates, disappointing dates and cheap dates. Cooper and Sexton vividly recall one gig in particular, when they played in Muscle Shoals for the listening pleasure of a bartender and a single patron.

"At the end of the night, though," Sexton says, "that bartender and one guy were on stage dancing."

He and Cooper aren't sure when SugarMoney will reunite for its next live show, because, as Sexton puts it, "There are a lot of decision makers in that process."

He's talking about 19 Entertainment, the manage ment company that signs "Idol" finalists and strictly determines their professional engagements. If Bice wins "American Idol" in May, for example, he likely will be directed to form a new touring ensemble.

"We were ready for this," Cooper says. "We realize there are stipulations surrounding it. Even if we get the opportunity to audition to be in Bo's band, we'll be happy. And we'll still have a place in his heart."

E-mail: mcolurso@bhamnews.com
    Last edited by bamabrain; 03-25-2005 at 06:37 PM.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar
    Wow, even his friends are cool Hehe.. at some point i almost want to think is he too good to be true?!! I sure hope not and darn his GF is one lucky woman!

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam
    Yeah, maybe Bo can get high with Carrie, whose strained smile is suspicious and she did sing a Janis Joplin song after all (LSD anyone?). Scott, wow, that dude looks so hyper he's got to have some coke (not the soda) stashed away backstage. And don't get me started on Jessica: Her weirdly staring eyes look like they've seen too much weed in her day.

LOL Pill!! Words right outta my mouth! I have known MANY men with long hair yeah most were in Music in some form.. and they were respectable. just liked their hair long

I just love this guy

Thanks for posting that article, bamabrain. It's nice to read that Bo has some great, supportive friends.
    I'm looking forward to next week's performance.

+ Reply to Thread