+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 194 FirstFirst ... 38394041424344454647484950515253545556575898148 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Bo Bice

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fireflyer
    Bo really annoys me because he is getting showcased here and he seems so...well...average. I won't be voting for him though.
    Don't worry.........I took up your slack...........BIG TIME!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

As opposed to many, even most, people who have been on AI before, Bo strikes me as a musician. He knows music, he plays instruments and has an innate sense of the way a song should be sung. As opposed to those who have had most of their musical experience in the church or singing for fun (both of which are great experiences which I am in no way knocking), he seems gifted in that I think he knows a lot more about music than just how to sing it. To me, that sets him apart. You can tell that there is more to him than what he is allowed to do in this competition, but that depth comes across when he sings a song.

He has my vote(s).
    fka kickstand

Can Ya Dig It?

Quote Originally Posted by Lolls
    As opposed to many, even most, people who have been on AI before, Bo strikes me as a musician. He knows music, he plays instruments and has an innate sense of the way a song should be sung. As opposed to those who have had most of their musical experience in the church or singing for fun (both of which are great experiences which I am in no way knocking), he seems gifted in that I think he knows a lot more about music than just how to sing it. To me, that sets him apart. You can tell that there is more to him than what he is allowed to do in this competition, but that depth comes across when he sings a song.

He has my vote(s).
    I agree. His musicianship is quite evident in his singing. He also has listened to a wide range of music--another sign of a musical person. Anwar, of course, is quite musical and knowledgable too--but he doesn't have Bo's stage experience. The other most musical person on AI is Ruben--who has studied and performed everything from opera to hip-hop.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolls

He has my vote(s).
    Evidently both Bo & Carrie are multi instrumentalists. I have always thought that they should be allowed to accompany themselves if they wanted. I'm sure there are others that play instruments as well, I just don't know about them. I think we even got some shots last year of Camille playing piano. If she had been allowed to play maybe she wouldn't have shown the nerves all the time.

Bo really annoys me because he is getting showcased here and he seems so...well...average. ... He did a decent job of Croce. But y'know, nothing beats the original in this case. ...
    I don't think any contestant is being showcased here. It's just that more people have more to say (positive or negative) about some contestants than about others.

Do I think Bo's voice is exceptional? No. (Neither is Sting's or Eric Clapton's, just to name a couple.) Do I think he's an excellent performer and interpreter of the songs he sings? Yes. As for Croce's original sounding better than Bo's cover, I'd agree. But Bo is a songwriter (in addition to playing several instruments), and when he's free from the AI straightjacket we will hear him performing his own compositions and backing himself up on instruments too. That will be a far better measure of how outstanding he is as an artist than just hearing him cover someone else's songs without his guitar (or piano).

I understand why AI doesn't let the contestants play their instruments, if they're trying to focus on the "singing competition" and don't want to unfairly handicap the ones who are "just vocalists." But I don't understand why they won't allow a contestant occasionally to perform an original song. They wouldn't even have to announce who the songwriter was -- just announce the song title. It would be a risky move for a contestant to do that, but I think they should be allowed.
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ;-D

Quote Originally Posted by Grisabella
    I don't think any contestant is being showcased here. It's just that more people have more to say (positive or negative) about some contestants than about others.

Do I think Bo's voice is exceptional? No. (Neither is Sting's or Eric Clapton's, just to name a couple.) Do I think he's an excellent performer and interpreter of the songs he sings? Yes. As for Croce's original sounding better than Bo's cover, I'd agree. But Bo is a songwriter (in addition to playing several instruments), and when he's free from the AI straightjacket we will hear him performing his own compositions and backing himself up on instruments too. That will be a far better measure of how outstanding he is as an artist than just hearing him cover someone else's songs without his guitar (or piano).

I understand why AI doesn't let the contestants play their instruments, if they're trying to focus on the "singing competition" and don't want to unfairly handicap the ones who are "just vocalists." But I don't understand why they won't allow a contestant occasionally to perform an original song. They wouldn't even have to announce who the songwriter was -- just announce the song title. It would be a risky move for a contestant to do that, but I think they should be allowed.
    They continue to give lip service to this being a singing competition, but then turn around & either criticize or praise a performance. So in effect they are handicapping those who are "just vocalists" by putting weight on performance skills. Some have them some don't.

FORT Fogey
    Bo really annoys me because he is getting showcased here and he seems so...well...average. If Bo wins a singing contract, then I think I should too. He did a decent job of Croce. But y'know, nothing beats the original in this case.

But I will concede that it's hard to fault a guy whose very favorite singer is Jim Croce. At least Bo has a brain.

So, I'm on the fence about Bo. I won't be voting for him though.
    I agree. I think he did an adequate job of a great song and therefore it nets out as being pretty good. I think the song definitely carried him. I just dont find much special about the guy. But I do think he should be in the top 3 or 4 at this point.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker
    They continue to give lip service to this being a singing competition, but then turn around & either criticize or praise a performance. So in effect they are handicapping those who are "just vocalists" by putting weight on performance skills. Some have them some don't.
    That's true. But I don't know that you can be a pop star today without having the performance skills, no matter how good your voice is and how correctly and beautifully you sing.

Someone please tell this guy that the strung-out hippy look isn't cool. If you're going to have long hair, at least have some style. He looks like someone who will get voted off AI and immediately develop a heroin addiction. He's already got the look of a street bum, now he should just go out and get the high to match.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    My goodness, but we see 2 totally different things! Thank heavens my eyes have been surgically corrected and I can see what is actually there!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread