+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 194 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353103 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Bo Bice

from the little i heard from him, i REALLY liked his voice. he has a great sound.

...but i find it hard to categorize someone as a rocker when the cd most people would be surprised he owns is metallica? what kind of "rocker" is he that his liking metallica would surprise people? i think b/c of his long hair and leather he's been lumped in as something that he might not be. maybe he's really a michael bolten fan in the body of a rock singer.

Quote Originally Posted by sher
    maybe he's really a michael bolten fan in the body of a rock singer.
    Got a visual of him dancing around his apartment in his skivvies to something more along the lines of Michael Jackson's Beat It.

He's in the wrong competition. I'm not quite sure what he's trying to accomplish, but I believe it will be disasterous.

i don't know. i think his voice is really good and original. he doesn't sound like anyone else in the competition. but we've been fed the fact that he's a rocker... and i'm not sure i buy it.

plus, he'd look a lot better with a haircut.

From his profile I gather him to be a Christian Rocker and having Metalica in his CD case might surprise most of the folks that know him from church. I could be wrong but that explaination seems to make all the pieces fall in together.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

Maybe he a rocker of the old school of rocknroll...not heavy metal?

I thought his reaction was pretty cool when he thought he was cut, and when he found out Simon didn't want him in. Some of the other contestants could learn a thing or two.

He looks like my ex! And like others, I'd like to hear him sing before I judge.

From The Birmingham News 2/18/05:

http://www.al.com/music/birminghamne...3338309970.xml

Who knows Bo? Lots to learn about 'Idol' finalist
    Friday, February 18, 2005
    Bo Bice, national man of mystery.

Baggy-pantsed and pony-tailed, he has been flying under the radar on "American Idol."

Until now.

After earning less than a minute of screen time in the early rounds, this rock singer from Helena quietly made the top 24 Wednesday night.

He'll be one of 12 males competing for the fourth-season title on the Fox TV series.

Hang onto your panties, girls. At least, that's what Bice and a couple of band members advise on an old Web page for Sugar Money, one of his previous groups.

Information on the guy is in short supply this week, mostly because "Idol" keeps a tight rein on contestants, restricting their ability to talk to the press.

I've been scrounging around for some preliminary facts, however, and an Internet search led me to Sugar Money.

Bice and two other musicians played in that outfit, from what I see, doing gigs at Slinky's in Sheffield, the Brick in Decatur, and Tunes Ultimate Karaoke and the Benchwarmer in Huntsville.

Were they good? Bad? Mediocre? It's hard to tell.

According to Garageband.com, Bice also sang and played guitar in a Huntsville group called Blue Sued Nickel. Three cuts by the band - I keep thinking of it as Blue Suede Nickel - are posted for download: "My Blessed Blues," "Someday" and "My Wish."

But my laptop froze when I tried to give these a listen, which leads me to suspect an "Idol" conspiracy.

Other tidbits I've uncovered:

Bice used to perform at one of the On Tap sports bars, covering everything from Dave Matthews Band to Snoop Dogg.

Bice had his own group, the Bo Bice Band. A resume for Gary Nichols, a Muscle Shoals-area songwriter, lists it as one of his local credits. Jessica Wagner, lately of the disco group Chic, also mentions the Bo Bice Band in her bio.

Bice probably has worked a series of survival jobs in Alabama. The Prattville Chamber of Commerce, for example, listed a Progress Printing Company owned by Nancy & Bo Bice at 146 West Main Street. A Florence Housing Authority newsletter says Bo Bice was an instructor at its Chris Quillen Music Camp for children in June 1999.

Bice isn't afraid to wear jewelry. I spotted at least one earring when he flashed a thumbs-up sign this Tuesday, after making a tough cut on "Idol."

Bice can sing the Box Tops. He was one of three rockers performing "The Letter" last week as "Idol" halved its field from about 200 competitors to 97. He took a slightly softer approach to the tune than Constantine Maroulis or Aaron Kelly. The verdict: Bice and Maroulis stayed in. Kelly got axed.

Bice will need a thick skin if he stays in the competition. Already, his looks have inspired a couple of nasty "Cro-Magnon" remarks from critics on the Web. Another comment, on the official "Idol" bulletin board, said, "It appears to me that Bo Bice resembles George W. Bush, only with long hair."

Bice already has made some fans, as well as detractors. On Wednesday, there were 180 posts about him on "Idol"-sponsored bulletin boards. Some of them mentioned a previous band called Purge. One admirer gushed, "Bo Bice is, in fact, a humble and genuine natural talent if I've ever seen one. A skinny white boy with the soul and powerful pipes of a bayou-born blues singer!"

Bice, 28, is one of the oldest contestants on the show - and he wouldn't have made the age cut-off last season. Previously, "Idol" would hear no singer older than 26.

Mary Colurso covers pop music and night life for The Birmingham News. To e-mail her, write to mcolurso@bhamnews.com.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondBase
    i dont know how he made it. the end
    AHH, but he did!! Just the beginning?

Quote Originally Posted by lobeck
    [IMG]images/img/BoBice.jpg[/IMG]
    Bice will need a thick skin if he stays in the competition. Already, his looks have inspired a couple of nasty "Cro-Magnon" remarks from critics on the Web. Another comment, on the official "Idol" bulletin board, said, "It appears to me that Bo Bice resembles George W. Bush, only with long hair."
    No Way! What an insult. He looks nothing like Bush at all... Being an old fogey here I think he looks sexy, but then I like long hair.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

No, it looks like he just missed auditions for Mel Gibson's "The Passion". I'm not sure how I like the rockers. I've seen a lot of Constantine, so I'm kind of thinking no for him. I haven't seen a lot of Bo, so I'll give him a chance on Monday, but I don't see me voting for him.

+ Reply to Thread