+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 194 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282969119 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Bo Bice

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam
    The "Layla" suggestion is great. I'd love to hear him sing that slow or fast.

Lay--la, you've got me on my knees.
    Lay--la, I'm begging, darling please.
    Lay-----la!, darling won't you ease my worried mind.

Whoa. I gotta settle down.
    I kinda prefer it slow.
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ;-D

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar
    I disagree with everyone who has said Bo is simply hard rock.. he isnt. Hes done christian rock.. likes pop rock.. and yes even owns a Metallica CD I think he can do all of the above and then some.. we just havnet seen it because its early. I think he is gonna shock us all The only place I think he may have a problem, motown night. Other then that I think he will shine in any style he attempts.

Quote Originally Posted by balladman
    I am not personally a fan of hard rock, never have
    been even when I was supposed to grow up in a generation where it
    developed. Hey, I got my ear drums to protect and I just can't stand the
    noise and the constant screeching, screaming, loud pounding of the drums
    and the smashing sound of electric guitars. How do they perform when
    there's a brownout like they always do in the third world ?

Having said that, if this were basketball and this were a slam dunk
    contest, Bo showed his SPECIALTY and WON IN STYLE. However if this
    competition were like basketball, you have to show that you're not only
    good in the slam dunk, you have to show you can dribble, shoot, pass,
    defend and hit the treys with consistency. Bo has shown that he is a
    great rocker. He rocked everybody's worlds. That would have been an
    awesome performance if he had the Allmans themselves backing him up.
    Between the two rockers, Bo took Constantine to school in front of 40 million
    people. It's time for Constaintine to lay his microphone respectfully at
    Bo's feet and leave with dignity. He cannot win, and there is no room
    for him in the top 6 guys. As I said, if Bo goes before Constantine, We
    need congress to appoint a special investigator to determine why this happened :-)

But Bo is not my "cup of tea" at all. But I have to admit, he deserves
    this spot. It was ok, if you are into that rocker stuff. I just don't
    think he can conform to theme nights when they come. Just as John
    Stevens looked lost in the other none big band nights.

This is pop music not rock n' roll and the judges' opinion might sway him to keep going this direction that will definitely get him kicked off the show when other genres become the theme.

As for how can you play rock in a brown out.. Unplugged made a great deal of money for MTV

As for the this is pop not rock.. I disagree.. this is America picking who they like the best and who THEY would listen to.. Taste changes.. and today the music that is becoming more popular is more of a rock based edge.. not Hard rock exactly but not the bubble gum pop of Justin Timberlake and Christina and Brittney. I think its time for a change.. and this grp of men have good showing for what America is tuning in to.
    Last edited by FireWoman; 03-02-2005 at 03:02 PM.

Bo Bice bio from SugarMoney.net

Here's another Bo bio, a bit more detailed than a couple others I've read.
    http://sugarmoney.net/bo_bio.htm
    Excerpts:
    ...Bo Bice ... began his career at an early age, singing and performing in contests and shows. At only twelve years of age he [won] a statewide competition for vocals at the Civic Center in Atlanta. At thirteen, he moved to London, England where he began writing and performing his original music. Returning to [the US] in 1995, he began his professional music career.

While in school for music at Calhoun College, he met some of the members of the band he would spend five years of his life with, Purge. Purge has performed throughout the Southeast at events such as the Waterfront Extravaganza and the Exit Inn (Nashville, TN) two engagements at Big Springs Jam, Music in the Park and Rocking the Square (Huntsville, AL). Purge also opened shows for bands such as Son of Slam, Warrant, Mothers Finest, and Blackfoot. Purge also has a list of "Battle of the Bands" victories... . ... While recording at "Clementsvisions" [Nashville, TN], they enlisted the musical skills of rock veteran Johnny Neil of the Allman Brother's Band, on their CD "Exgratia" that received airplay throughout the Southeast.

After leaving Purge and enrolling into the [U. North Alabama's] music program, Bo found a new outlet for his songs. Playing three years in a row at the W.C. Handy [blues] Festival proved to be ... just what he needed to re-light his fire. While playing around town Bo was able to perform with people such as Steve Cropper (Otis Redding's guitarist), Kelvin Holly (Little Richard's guitarist) and Spooner Oldham (Neil Young's keyboardist). These experiences were enough to inspire his third CD "Recipe for Flavor" ... . This CD shows off his wide range of influences ranging from blues, rock, folk and soul.

After a three-month stay abroad doing shows in Dublin, Ireland and also appearing on the Open House Show "Good Day Ireland", Bo returned to the U.S. and teamed up with longtime friend and bass player John Cooper ( Purge & SugarMoney ).

Now living in Helena, AL, Bo [has] not only time, but a recording studio. Bo has produced CD's for several other artists and has full creative control over all the music that the team of SugarMoney has forthcoming.
    Last edited by Grisabella; 03-02-2005 at 03:07 PM.
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ;-D

I saw Paula this morning on Good Day Live, and she mentioned several times that Bo is a really nice guy. They showed a little clip of Bo's performance Monday night, and he looked and sounded good seeing it a second time (I haven't been taping the shows).
    BTW, they also showed a clip of Constantine from about 2 years ago as a date contestant on the show "Elimidate".
    Last edited by clay crazy; 03-02-2005 at 03:06 PM.

Thanks Gris for the bio. I clicked a little further and sampled his "Hold On" song from Sugarmoney. It's folkier than his other stuff and sounds awesome. He has a gorgeous voice and great phrasing. Hearing it gave me chills because it confirmed to me that he probably will win AI. That sorta scares me cuz the AI title could be an albatross for a rocker. But who knows? Instead of AI sucking the legitimacy from Bo, maybe he'll convey more legitimacy to AI--as Ruben and Fantasia have done.

Here's the clip. Enjoy:

http://sugarmoney.net/Music_samples.htm
    Last edited by pillbeam; 03-02-2005 at 03:32 PM.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar
    Ok.. now how do i buy this!! lol.. my daughter is here dancing to it

Hearing htis he has a great feel for southern rock.. but please I know hes from Bama.. but I would cry if he did Sweet Home Alabama!

Bo is the real deal. Here we finally have someone who knows how to perform. He's got a good voice and great stage presence. I never expected a "rocker" to make it this far (and no, I don't consider Constantine a rocker. I don't even consider him a singer at all). But Bo could honestly take this whole thing. Probably not, just because they might have some trouble marketing him. But if they're smart, they'll give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam
    Instead of AI sucking the legitimacy from Bo, maybe he'll convey more legitimacy to AI--as Ruben and Fantasia have done.
    That's a good point, PB! "Top 40" music changes and evolves over time. Personally, I'm sick of the current pop music and would be happy if the new "Idol" brought some maturity and edge back to the music scene. Simon says they're looking for a recording star and if America wants a blues rocker then that's what he'll get. Neither Ruben nor Clay seemed to fit the Idol "image" but America was able to see through image and select the singers with the best voices and the most chances for a successful recording career.

Bonnie Raitt has always been one of my favorites - I've been listening to her music since the 70's. Bo reminds me of her in a lot of ways - they both have a wonderful, edgy tone to their voices, and really have a lot of passion about their music that clearly comes from within. Bonnie is primarily a blues rocker, but has had big success on the pop charts. I've heard her sing all genres, including Broadway show tunes with her dad, the late John Raitt.

Given Bo's background, musical skill, and undeniable passion, I'm not worried about his abilities to come up with a good performance regardless of the night's theme.

Quote Originally Posted by Playbear
    Bonnie Raitt has always been one of my favorites - I've been listening to her music since the 70's. Bo reminds me of her in a lot of ways - they both have a wonderful, edgy tone to their voices, and really have a lot of passion about their music that clearly comes from within. Bonnie is primarily a blues rocker, but has had big success on the pop charts. I've heard her sing all genres, including Broadway show tunes with her dad, the late John Raitt.

Given Bo's background, musical skill, and undeniable passion, I'm not worried about his abilities to come up with a good performance regardless of the night's theme.
    Playbear, I love your Bonnie Raitt analogy. I too have been listening to her since the '70s, and she can sing anything. I hope Bo has her versatility, but it's not a requirement for me. I'll buy his next CD, regardless.
    Last edited by pillbeam; 03-02-2005 at 04:20 PM.

Agree with you, PB. I don't care if the only thing he can sing is blues rock. He's so good at that he doesn't need to be good at anything else for me to want to listen to him!

Glad you're a Bonnie fan Bo also reminds me of Bob Seger. I'd love to hear him sing Night Moves.

+ Reply to Thread