+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Bo Bice

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;2264502;
    I agree! I believe Carrie was the best singer that year. However, I didn't say Bo was the best singer. I said...
    Technically Carrie was maybe the best but singing isn't just all about technique. I think Bo was in his own class overall. But that's just my opinion.

Yeah, Uncle David, Carrie sounds great (especially with harmony overdubbing and all the other backup), but performance-wise she's no Shania Twain.
    Quote Originally Posted by nemo78;2264937;
    Technically Carrie was maybe the best but singing isn't just all about technique. I think Bo was in his own class overall. But that's just my opinion.
    I don't think you're alone there.
    When it comes to the popularity of a vocalist, unless you're talking opera or the like, I really don't think most people base their judgment on how much dynamic or pitch range a performer has or how "perfect" their vocals are. Some of the most popular recording artists have gravelly voices, can't sustain a note for and/or don't have much more than 12 sec., don't have perfect pitch, couldn't be heard in the back row of a concert hall without amplification, don't have a lot of dynamic range, and have a pitch range of less than 1 1/2 octaves.
    A lot of songs, especially in some genres like country, blues, rock, etc. don't require a voice like Mariah's, Whitney's, Clay's, Stevie Wonder's, Freddie Mercury's, etc.

When Bo's singing a song suited to his style, he has an awesome voice.
    (He's just not destined for Broadway.) LOL
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ;-D

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grisabella;2264960;
    Some of the most popular recording artists have gravelly voices, can't sustain a note for and/or don't have much more than 12 sec., don't have perfect pitch, couldn't be heard in the back row of a concert hall without amplification, don't have a lot of dynamic range, and have a pitch range of less than 1 1/2 octaves.
    You love Willie Nelson? I love him too.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Yes, I am a huge Willie Nelson fan. (BTW, Willie has excellent pitch control!)
    But I was think more along the lines of Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Joe Cocker, Tracy Chapman -- even Norah Jones. The list could go on.

BTW, WTF happened to that part of my last post!? I must've accidentally hit a click-and-drag or something. This doesn't make much sense:
    "Some of the most popular recording artists have gravelly voices, can't sustain a note for and/or don't have much more than 12 sec., ... ."
    I meant to say they "... can't sustain a note for much more than 12 sec. and/or don't have perfect pitch, ... etc."
    Last edited by Grisabella; 03-04-2007 at 10:56 PM.
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ;-D

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    Finally!!! Bo is coming back to Las Vegas! And, best of all, hes playing at one of our sister stations.

Looks like Im going to have to call in a favor. Gotta have good seats for this one.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;2269547;
    Finally!!! Bo is coming back to Las Vegas! And, best of all, hes playing at one of our sister stations.

Looks like Im going to have to call in a favor. Gotta have good seats for this one.
    Uh oh Uncle David...Bo always seems to have bad luck when he comes to Vegas....keeping my fingers crossed it won't happen again!

Heck yeah, call in those favors!!! WOO HOO!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Re: Bo Bice

Bo

Getting to know Bo Bice
    Times Herald-Record
    May 11, 2007

It's press day for Bo Bice, and his voice, thick with a Southern accent, is still upbeat and eager to talk, not drained and distant. He addresses me as "Ma'am" and thanks God numerous times throughout the interview.

He is someone who is truly grateful for what he has. He's genuine, modest, down-to-earth and approachable.

The 31-year-old came in as first runner-up to now country star Carrie Underwood in the fourth season of "American Idol." The only reason he was allowed to enter the competition was because the age limit was raised from 24 to 28 to increase variety.

Bice impressed the judges and fans with his Southern rock sound and vibe and continued to do so after the season's end. He is the third-most successful recording artist to not win the "American Idol" title, evidenced by Recording Industry Association of America platinum status.

Since the finale, he's encountered a few bumps in the road with health issues, but also married his longtime girlfriend, Caroline Fisher, in June 2005 and welcomed his first child, a son, Aidan Michael Bice, in September.

That same month, he released his first single, his version of "Inside Your Heaven," on RCA Records, which debuted at No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart and No. 1 on the Billboard Hot Single Sales chart. He was invited to Bonnaroo by Trey Anastasio (formerly of Phish) and was invited by Willie Nelson to perform at Farm Aid.

His first album, "The Real Thing," was released in December 2005, was certified gold and featured the hit song "The Real Thing." He's set to release a new album in the fall and is playing acoustic gigs throughout the country. He'll perform at the Chance Theater May 19 and was scheduled to perform at Opus Theater in West Nyack on Wednesday, but the venue unexpectedly closed on April 30.

Bo knows Bogie
    As the story is told to me, when I was born, in the delivery room, my grandmother said, "He looks like a little Humphrey Bogart." So, my family called me Bogart and when I got into kindergarten, I shortened it to Bo. I've just always been called Bo. I've never been called by my Christian name (Harold Elwin Bice Jr.). I wasn't really lookin' for a stage name, but I guess it stuck.

Bo knows music
    My mom sang. My biological father played music, the guitar and banjo, but I was the first one to go out and try to make a career out of it. But my dad who raised me, Earl, he was a big influence in my choice of music and my love of the kind of music that I really enjoy today. I guess it was a little bit of all my upbringing. I'm just proud to call this a day job and it's a blessing and I enjoy doing it so much.

Bo knows 'American Idol'
    To be honest with you, I didn't think I was gonna make it past the first audition. I thought that they were gonna say, "Look, this is a pop show. We don't know anything about what you're tryin' to do" and I didn't think they would know that "Whipping Post" was the Allman Brothers. That was what I auditioned with. I didn't think they would even know that. I figured OK, I'm gonna sing this and they're gonna be like "Next." So, every day that I was on that show and every day that I was gettin' votes, I was just blown away. I was just bein' me. My strategy was to work hard and treat this like it was a job, a gig, and somehow America dug it. I'm very grateful for what "Idol" gave to me.

Bo knows the real thing
    I worked with a lot of different producers (on "The Real Thing") and there were a lot of different songwriters and I only had a couple of my tunes on it. We recorded it in 47 days and, literally, my son was born at noon and I was in the studio recording the first tracks two hours later. So, it was a busy schedule. That's why the new CD I'm working on now is really special to me, because I'm gettin' back to the roots of my music, which is Southern rock/storytelling songs with just some good, fun music. Like I've said before, I'm not here breakin' new ground. I'm just playin' the music that I grew up on, that I love, with a little bit of me added into it. And I'm here to show the next generation what that music's about. I'm just a redneck kid from Alabama that got a break. This next album is about bringin' my best game to the table. I want to get back to makin' albums, not singles.

Bo knows Lynyrd Skynyrd and Willie Nelson and ...
    Those guys, behind the scenes, are just as great as they are onstage. Lynyrd Skynyrd, the Allman Brothers, Willie Nelson, they're the epitome of the style of music that I feel has embraced me and they're the fathers of that. And I played several shows with Hank Williams Jr. last year and with Lynyrd Skynyrd. The Marshall Tucker Band are really great guys and it's such an honor to meet these guys and sit down and discuss music with them and gettin' advice. It's special to have those kind of people that are accessible to you. That's one part of this whole ride that I never dreamed: I would have access to my heroes. If, at the end of my day, if I could look back and have a career like them, and still be doin' it great like them, that's what this business is about.

Bo knows his roots
    I'm about to go on this acoustic run, which I am so excited about. Because a lot of people don't know that where I really started was playing acoustic gigs and then doing band gigs on the weekends. So this is, for me, not only on the album am I gettin' back to my roots, but, as far as gettin' to do this acoustic run to kinda warm people up and show them some of the new material. It's special for me.

Bo knows 'Blades of Glory'(he sings the movie's title song)

Never in a million years did I think they would call me up for that, and it was so cool. I went and did it and did the video for it and I kept thinking the whole time, "How did I fall backwards into this? This is just crazy." I was grateful to be approached by them and the whole team was a blast to work with. I had so much fun with them, and if you haven't seen the movie, it's hilarious. We have several of their movies (Will Ferrell and Jon Heder) on the bus. We all know "Anchorman" front to back. That and "Old School."

Bo knows what's next
    This year is so special. I've got down time. I didn't get to choose it, it kinda chose itself. It's just about enjoying this ride and it's so much doggone fun. I missed it being gone for six months, but I'm grateful to be back. I feel like I've done a good job as a dad and a husband. I had to get the last surgery and we finally got a hold on things and, knock on wood, we're gonna have a healthy year and go out and do this right and have fun with the music. I wanna have a stress-free year that's just about music.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    I'm ready for me some Bo music......
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2270349;
    Uh oh Uncle David...Bo always seems to have bad luck when he comes to Vegas....keeping my fingers crossed it won't happen again!

Heck yeah, call in those favors!!! WOO HOO!
    I know! I hope Bo is okay this time around!!!!

Bo needs to hurry and return to VIRGINIA!!!

FORT Fanatic

Bo needs to do an album on his own terms, like Elliott did his. It'll sell, because he's a good singer and he made a lot of fans during his run on AI. If it's not entirely commercial and doesn't go quintuple platinum, big deal. You can feed your family forver on gold records, maybe tossing in one hit single every ten years or so (Tracy Chapman anyone?) Stardom is transient, but good music lives forever.

Quote Originally Posted by dpiranha;2390050;
    Bo needs to do an album on his own terms, like Elliott did his. It'll sell, because he's a good singer and he made a lot of fans during his run on AI. If it's not entirely commercial and doesn't go quintuple platinum, big deal. You can feed your family forver on gold records, maybe tossing in one hit single every ten years or so (Tracy Chapman anyone?) Stardom is transient, but good music lives forever.
    Amen to that! I want to hear Bo do what Bo wants to do.....
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread