+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Bo Bice

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David View Post
    Well, we got a chance to see both Carrie and Bo on the same night.

Carrie appeared on the Billboard awards, and I’m pleased/sad to say that nothing’s changed. She’s still beautiful with a voice that melts your heart. Unfortunately, she still has absolutely no charisma as a performer. I was hoping that by now they’d have worked with her on her performance technique. Oh well, she’s still pretty to look at, and that’s probably enough.

I was disappointed with Bo on the ‘Big in 2005’ awards. He looked great in the audience, but when he got on stage to accept the award it was a disaster. I don’t get it. Bo is such a charming man, but this time he sounded like he’d been drinking or smoking too much. He just rambled. Sad!

Luckily he appeared later on The Tonight Show where he was the Bo we all know and love… great voice, great performance, humble to the end. Like the other posters I wasn’t a huge fan of the song. Too Pop. But what can you do? The AI ‘winner’ is a niche market talent. She’s stuck in the country genre. So who’s left to cover the Pop market that AI is all about? Bo!

On a positive note, I think this kind of song will work well for Bo’s career. I can see a very cool MTV music video that will market Bo to the audience most likely to carry him forward. Then, when he’s fulfilled his ‘19’ contract he’ll have the popularity to move on with his own style.

Sound like Kelly Clarkson all over again? Good! She is the most successful of the past winners/runners-up. He could do worse than to follow in her career footsteps.
    Your comments are very interesting I must say. Especially the one about Carrie having no charisma, because you wouldn't say that if you had seen her perform on the CMA'S. She absolutely blew everybody away that night. All the comments that came from that performance from people in the Country Music Industry were over the top positive. Also, I would like to have you hear the MP3 of Suddenly Seymour from Little Shop of Horrors that she sang with Patrick Wilson in the Broadway meets Country show. Absolutely astounding.

As to Bo. I didn't see him on the awards show that you reference, but I thought the same things about his appearance on the Billboard show. It seemed as though he was about 3 sheets to the wind. I also didn't get to see him on Leno but I have heard the performance on a MP3 & I just don't like the song. Unfortunately I think Clive Davis has pushed Bo in a direction that isn't going to suit him in the long run. To Pop, to repetitive, to UnBolike. I say ditch Clive & bring back the Bo we all came to love on the show.

Article from The Birmingham News 12/2/05
    http://www.al.com/search/index.ssf?/...l=2&thispage=2

Twice as Bice: The scoop on Bo
    Friday, December 02, 2005
    You are now entering the Bo Zone - an updated list of happenings in the life and career of "American Idol" runner-up and Alabama native Bo Bice.

Just 11 days remain until the release of his debut disc on RCA, "The Real Thing." Fans have been talking about it - gossiping and speculating and wishing and hoping - for months.

"Idol" tradition dictates that advance copies are withheld from the press, eliminating the possibility of reviews that might dampen the enthusiasm of first-week sales. Also, strict secrecy helps to keep pesky music leaks firmly tamped down.

I can, however, gather details about the recording from various sources and present them with a flourish. Same goes for facts about Bice's TV appearances this month, most likely backed by the band SugarMoney.

A few other bits and pieces can be woven into this trivia trove on Helena's most famous former resident: Harold Elwin Bice Jr.

Thirty candles: Bice turned 30 on Nov. 1. During a birthday clip aired on the Fox network, his wife, the former Caroline Fisher, gave Bice a saxophone.

Dueling singles: His version of "Inside Your Heaven" is one of four finalists for the 2005 Billboard award for top-selling single of the year. "Idol" winner Carrie Underwood is nominated in the same category, for her version of "Inside Your Heaven."

Set your TiVo: According to Bice's RCA Web site, www.bobiceofficial.com, he will be on the following television shows:

Monday, "The Tonight Show With Jay Leno," 10:35 p.m., NBC 13; Tuesday, Billboard Music Awards in Las Vegas, 7 p.m., Fox 6; next Friday, "The Today Show," 7 a.m., NBC 13; next Friday, "Live With Regis and Kelly," 9 a.m., Fox 6; Dec. 13, "Ellen," 10 a.m., NBC 13; Dec. 19, Radio Music Awards in Las Vegas, 8 p.m., NBC 13.

Run Rudolph Run: At 6 p.m. Dec. 11, the Oxygen network will air a taped holiday concert that features Bice and Joan Osborne. It'll be a "custom concert," with a set list voted on by those who take the survey posted at www.oxygen.com/concert/holiday/.

Gone country: Bice has been trailed by CMT cameras for a segment of its "In the Moment" documentary series. Air date is Jan. 13, according to the Web site www.bobice.com.

On the record: Eleven tracks for "The Real Thing" are listed on Amazon.com. They are the title track plus "You're Everything," "U Make Me Better," "Nothing Without You," "My World," "Remember Me," "Hold On to Me," "Lie ... It's Alright," "It's My Life," "Willing to Try" and "Valley of Angels."

Extras: A DualDisc version of "The Real Thing" includes a 22-minute video and three bonus tracks. These are studio recordings of songs - "Cinnamon & Novocaine," "Sinner in a Sin," "Whiskey, Women & Time" - that Bice performed with SugarMoney at his hurricane benefit concert in Pelham.

For now: Can't wait to hear the title track? Then buy it as a single from Wal-Mart (http://musicdownloads.walmart.com). Cheapies, you'll also find a link to a free, 30-second snippet of the tune on that site.

Silence: Bice was scheduled for a live chat Tuesday on the Internet, courtesy of the Microsoft Network, but the event was canceled that day due to "unforeseen circumstances." Hmmmm.

Babe in arms: Fans had their first look at Bice's son, Aidan Michael, in a November photo published in People magazine. There was a family picture, as well, that included Bo, Caroline, Aidan and beloved dog Gracie.

No Bo: Previously, Bice was set to be the grand marshal at Saturday's Christmas parade in Old Town Helena. But that's not going to happen, says organizer Joy Childers, because Bice's schedule has changed significantly. The parade will march on, however, with a theme of "I'll Be Home for Christmas (If Only in my Dreams)." Childers says Helena officials are holding no grudges, because Bice apologized for his absence and may come back in the spring.

E-mail: mcolurso@bhamnews.com.

Reminder:

Bo will be appearing on a Holiday Concert on the Oxygen Network this Sunday, the 11th, at 7:00pm (6:00 Central Time).

This is not good, but it is only the first one I have seen. Maybe others will be kinder.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&%20token=ADFEAEE 47216D84BAA7320C7932D5DF6A767F D07DB63F79D106E495AD1A93F4B8E5 C2<br%20/>1B10DE9D8CFAEFB74AB7BAFFF2BE8 5805D7CCE454F5CC1740&uid=MIW05 0512110246&sql=10:nbkku3rdandk ~T1
    Review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine
    Early on in the fourth season of American Idol the powers that be dubbed the season the battle of the rockers, because for the first time ever, AmIdol had not one but two rock vocalists as prime contenders. First, there was Constantine Maroulis, a music-theater veteran singing overheated, outdated grunge who dominated the audition rounds, becoming an early favorite. His rival didn't appear until the tail end of the auditions. His name was Bo Bice, a bearded, long-hair who seemed as if he stepped out of central casting for a Southern rocker. Bo catapulted to front-runner status as soon as he belted out a gritty, soulful version of "Whipping Post" in one of the first shows of the season. It was easily the hardest-rocking thing ever heard on American Idol and as the weeks went by, Bo proved that he was versatile, singing ballads as effectively as the rockers — a feat that proved to be a bit of a stumbling block for Constantine, who truly shined only when he acknowledged his bent for theatricality, as on a startlingly good version of "Bohemian Rhapsody" (much, much better than Paul Rodgers, who fronted Queen later in 2005). Soon, that lack of versatility becameMaroulis' Achilles' heel and the battle of the rockers petered out into a competition between Bo and Carrie Underwood, a sweet girl-next-door country singer who eventually won the tightest AmIdol contest since Ruben Studdard squeaked out a victory over Clay Aiken on the second season. Despite his loss, Clay ultimately wound up overshadowing Ruben because he had a fanatical following and a more gregarious personality — and since Bo also had vocal, devoted fans and was considerably livelier than Carrie, it seemed like history was on the verge of quickly repeating itself. But a funny thing happened: the malleable Underwood, who had no discernible musical identity on the show, delivered a pitch-perfect country-pop album while Bice's debut, The Real Thing, is a total misfire, a bland, colorless collection of rote rock. On the show, Bice was a compelling presence because he didn't follow trends — he was a throwback to a time when cleaned-up hippies like Three Dog Night and the post-Al Kooper incarnation of Blood, Sweat & Tears dominated the charts, AM radio, and TV variety shows, acting the part of rockers to an audience that didn't quite like rock & roll. Bo rocked harder than either of those bands, but it was on material that was three decades old, so it never sounded dangerous — it sounded warm and familiar, yet in the context of American Idol, he sounded fresh. More than that, he was mining a certain vein of pop/rock that hasn't been heard on mainstream pop radio in a while — melodic pop tunes, rooted in rock but never heavy and always fun. It was the sound of the '70s but could be heard all the way through the Gin Blossoms, yet in the wake of grunge, it all died away in a wash of surging choruses, heavy guitars, and unrestrained emoting. On the show, Bo didn't carry any of those traits; he never sounded burdened by singing: there was a joy to his performances, along with bluesy grit that made him a perfect blend of familiarity and freshness — he was a new guy singing classic rock, something that hadn't happened in a long time, maybe since the Black Crowes. So what did 19 Entertainment, exec producer Clive Davis, and the whole American Idol album crew do for Bo's album? They threw everything that worked for Bo on the show out the window — the Southern rock, the blues, the classicism — and shoehorned him into a bland alt-rock setting somewhere between Nickelback and Bon Jovi. Clearly, the idea behind this is that what appeals to the show's audience won't appeal to the record-buying public, particularly to teens, but instead of building on the audience Bo had on the show, The Real Thing alienates them. Kelly Clarkson may have gotten hipper, sexier, and dancier on her debut, but that worked, not just because she had good material and charm, but because it appealed to her core teen audience. Bo was a bit older and appropriately had an older following, listeners who pined to hear '70s-styled pop and rock — and not just because there wasn't much of it out there, but because Bo did it well, and he sounded distinctive doing it. Not only is that sound nowhere to be heard on The Real Thing, but Bo no longer sounds distinctive. He sounds exactly the same as every other mainstream male rock singer in 2005 — all of his songs have indistinct verses that surge into an anthemic chorus where all the heavy guitars kick in, inching the volume up to a point where it becomes a glossy wall of digital sound that drowns out his vocals. The music is tightly wound and meticulously clean, the antithesis to Bice's loose, earthy appeal. Most of all, the songs — even the handful of good, professional tunes, both, not coincidentally, co-written by either Jon Bon Jovi or his longtime partner Richie Sambora — all sound exactly the same, following the same flow, bearing the same dynamics. This isn't modernizing Bo Bice — this is neutering him, giving him an unwelcome extreme makeover that doesn't fit. There was a way to bring Bo Bice into the mainstream of 2005, and it was clear on the show itself: when he sang Gavin DeGraw's "I Don't Wanna Be," Bice tore it up, singing it with more passion and conviction than the song's author himself. If Bice were teamed with a bunch of new singer/songwriters like DeGraw or John Mayer, he would have had melodic, classically styled pop/rock songs that he could have sung better than their authors. Instead, 19 paired him with Ben Moody from Evanescence, Ashlee Simpson's collaborator Kara DioGuardi, and the hack of all hacks, Chad Kroeger from Nickelback — the man who equates love with being willing to eat off the floor — for a set of heavily processed, cumbersome, mildly active rock that's too boring to be memorable. Since at the conclusion of the fourth season, Bo Bice not only seemed like the show's first rocker on the verge of stardom, but one of the most promising singers they ever had, this qualifies as the biggest blunder in American Idol's history. Hopefully, Bo will get a second chance and will do it right next time around.

Ouch. That was difficult to read in more ways than one.

I haven't heard the CD, but I've seen variations of this review from both fans and critics. I hate it for Bo.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

I found it difficult to read as well. Paragraphs would have helped my myopia! I kept losing my place...

I liked Bo but found Carrie much more marketable in the long run with the ability to appeal to more than one market and was glad she won the IDOL title. She has already been very successful...

next week will be a big one for BO. I suspect his many fans will buy the album for Christmas but that may be the extent of it!! He could be on the Fair circuit this summer!

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    Funny thing perception!

I think Bo proved over the course of the AI series he has the talent to excel in several genres where Carrie is limited to ballads and Country. Case in point… I can’t imagine many things more painful than listening to Carrie sing ‘For The Love Of Money’. And yet, this Southern Country Rocker blew the roof off the house with his funky rendition.

Carrie was lucky to have Bo as the runner up. It took the pressure off of her. She was able to go off and do her country album while TPTB put their Pop energy into Bo’s album. My guess is that the reviewer was right on all counts. I don’t expect a lot from this first album.

What I hope you are all wrong about is the lasting effect it will have on Bo’s career. 19s contract will end for him just as it did for Kelly, and he’ll be free to pursue his own path. I have confidence that at that time Bo’s star will shine.

In the meantime, unlike others, Bo is a dynamic performer, and as such, I doubt seriously he’ll be relegated to the ‘Fair’ circuit anytime soon.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by cabernetCally View Post
    I found it difficult to read as well. Paragraphs would have helped my myopia! I kept losing my place...

I liked Bo but found Carrie much more marketable in the long run with the ability to appeal to more than one market and was glad she won the IDOL title. She has already been very successful...

next week will be a big one for BO. I suspect his many fans will buy the album for Christmas but that may be the extent of it!! He could be on the Fair circuit this summer!
    Sorry about the format. I just cut & paste & that's the way it came out. It is kind of a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David View Post
    Funny thing perception!

I think Bo proved over the course of the AI series he has the talent to excel in several genres where Carrie is limited to ballads and Country. Case in point… I can’t imagine many things more painful than listening to Carrie sing ‘For The Love Of Money’. And yet, this Southern Country Rocker blew the roof off the house with his funky rendition.

Carrie was lucky to have Bo as the runner up. It took the pressure off of her. She was able to go off and do her country album while TPTB put their Pop energy into Bo’s album. My guess is that the reviewer was right on all counts. I don’t expect a lot from this first album.

What I hope you are all wrong about is the lasting effect it will have on Bo’s career. 19s contract will end for him just as it did for Kelly, and he’ll be free to pursue his own path. I have confidence that at that time Bo’s star will shine.

In the meantime, unlike others, Bo is a dynamic performer, and as such, I doubt seriously he’ll be relegated to the ‘Fair’ circuit anytime soon.
    You are correct, Bo did blow the roof off with For the Love of Money, but that wasn't then & isn't now the type of music Carrie sings. Why would you bring up a comparison like that? We could say that Carrie was phenominal on Independence Day but could you imagine how bad Bo would sound doing it. Unfair comparisons on both sides.

I'm not sure what you mean by the second paragraph but I do know that there were numerous folks on this forum & many others that said they were glad Bo lost, because he would now be able to have more input into his album while Carrie would be stuck with whatever TPTB told her to do, & it has infact gone just the opposite. Carrie has released a truly fine Country flavored album while Bo is getting pummeled from all sides (including his fans)for what TPTB have done to him. I said from the very first time I heard that Clive Davis was going to be producing that Bo had been hung out to dry & I still say so.

Long term, there is hopefully many great albums in Bo's future. I like the guy, I like his voice, I like his attitude, but I'll like him a lot better post Clive.

By the way there are ads in our Sunday paper for Bo's album at $7.99, so 19E must not have much faith in it either or they wouldn't be putting a bargain basement price on it like that. It is a sad thing & quite unfair. It is time for AI to unhitch themselves from the Clive Davis wagon.

In the interest of fair play, this is from Billboard. This is for the song, not the album. I think it is still to early for them to review the whole album. Chuck Taylor usually isn't to appreciative of anything, so this is good.

http://billboard.com/bbcom/reviews/s..._id=1001657649

The Real ThingBO BICEProducer(s): Marti FrederiksenLabel: RCA (CD promo)

Anyone who wondered how "American Idol" runner-up Bo Bice might convincingly channel his retro rock roots into mainstream radio fodder need give "The Real Thing" only a single listen. Written and produced by A-list hitmakers Kara DioGuardi and Marti Frederiksen, the midtempo pop/rocker is so ideally suited to the affable Bice that the show's lingering reputation for cheesy dramatics is effectively whisked out the door. "Real" is certainly catchy, but not at the expense of an arrangement meaty enough for Bice to sink his seasoned chops into with satiating panache. The rocker's innate talent and star quality were already undisputed; now he has the song to make him a star. A perfect vehicle. —Chuck Taylor

+ Reply to Thread