+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Bo Bice

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    I'm looking forward to seeing Bo sing Desperado, especially if he's accompanying himself on the piano. I wish he hadn't eliminated 'I Don't Wanna Be' from the repertoire, but you can't have everything.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    http://www.alabamaford.com/default.a...tv_commercials

local commercial for car dealership that Bo got his car from....you'll have to listen to a promo spot first and then double click where it says Bo Bice....
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Razorbacker posted this in Carrie's thread, but I think it deserves to be posted in this thread too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/artic....DTL&type=music

Crazy For 'Idol'
    'Idol''s secret is all about humiliation

'Idols' Live

"My very first magazine cover was the National Enquirer, and I was like, 'You know you've made it when ...' " Carrie Underwood, the reigning champ of "American Idol," says with a laugh.

Speaking by phone from Reading, Pa., where she's headlining a stop on this summer's "American Idols Live" tour -- which brings the show's top 10 finalists to San Jose's HP Pavilion on Saturday -- the 22-year-old Oklahoma native sounds surprisingly well-adjusted for a small-town gal who recently saw her personal life splashed across the front page of the country's biggest tabloid. She practically sounds tickled by the development.

"At first, it was hard to sit down and read the things that people were saying," Underwood says of the article, which alleged she kicked her hometown sweetheart to the curb while entangled in a torrid love triangle with two other "Idol" contestants. "A lot of people would've worked their way up to this position and would've gotten a thick skin over a few years' time. For me, though, all this happened in a few months.

"But now I find it quite funny that I've heard all kinds of crazy rumors about myself. I've even heard that I'm pregnant! I was like, 'Are you serious?' I've become real good about laughing things off -- I figure I'd better get used to it."

The country singer is adapting to more than just outlandish gossip, however. Since defeating huggable hippie rocker Bo Bice on the May 25 season four finale, Underwood, who grew up on her family's farm, has been livin' la vida VIP. These days she travels by private jet; has signed endorsement deals with People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, Hershey and Skechers shoes; has a No. 1 hit, "Inside Your Heaven"; and is working with top industry talent for her debut album, due in November.

"Everything's completely different and it's been hard," says Underwood, who sounds as sweet and endearingly bewildered in conversation as she did on the show. "Fortunately, I have a lot of wonderful people around me, and I think I'm handling things pretty well."

Underwood's sudden success caps one of "American Idol's" most popular seasons, which drew roughly 27 million viewers each night to become one of the year's top-rated TV programs. Open auditions for "Idol" season five, which will air in 2006, begin this week -- first stop is Thursday at the Cow Palace in Daly City (see box on Page 18).

Since its 2002 inception, the addictive, increasingly scandal-prone show that lets viewers decide the winner of the world's most glorified karaoke competition has become as much a soap opera as a talent competition. This season alone, there were revelations of drug possession and domestic violence. Phone snafus required one complete revote. Early front runner-heartthrob Mario Vazquez mysteriously fled the show midseason, setting the Internet abuzz with rumors of homosexuality and undisclosed recording contracts. Culture-jammers at votefortheworst.com rallied to make the despised Scott Savol the winner. Former contestant Corey Clark caused a media uproar when he boasted of an affair with judge Paula Abdul. (She denied the allegation; a formal investigation is pending.) Then there was Abdul, whose seemingly unhinged antics gave the show its most glorious unpredictability.

Oddball behavior probably shouldn't be entirely unexpected from a woman who once danced with an animated cat in a music video, of course, but nothing could've prepared viewers for her genuine loopiness this season. Throughout, she looked wild-eyed and out-of-sorts, sparred with fellow judges Simon Cowell and Randy Jackson, performed wobbly, hands-in-the-air dances made famous by drunken sorority gals and slurred such deeply insightful criticism as, "This was your best male performance by far." Well, this was Abdul's best wacko-girl- gone-wild performance by far. Let's just hope she's doesn't leave the show, even if rumors suggest she may be replaced next season by someone as, uh, vibrant as Whitney Houston.

But if drama was half the reason to tune in, the other half -- the contestants -- helped make "American Idol" more riveting than ever. Sure, there were still plenty of missed notes and moments so bad they were actually fab (Janay Castine's "Hit 'Em Up Style," anyone?), but at least the finalists were taking risks and deviating from the sleep-inducing oldies and bland adult- contemporary ballads that often bogged down prior seasons.

Underwood brilliantly transformed songs by Heart and Roy Orbison with her soaring twang; Bice displayed impressive Lynyrd Skynyrd-esque chops; and seventh-place Anwar Robinson indulged his inner diva with gender-defying renditions of songs by Chaka Khan and Roberta Flack. Bronze finalist Vonzell Solomon made Barbra Streisand sound relevant beyond gay-male circles and Nadia Turner, who deserved far better than her eighth-place finish, brought grace, soulful depth and the courage to don a faux-hawk Afro -- not to mention a gloriously delivered song by Melissa Etheridge -- to the show.

In terms of sheer originality, however, no one trumped "Rent" vet Constantine Maroulis. The 29-year-old New Yorker's theatrical, tongue-in-cheek takes on songs by such unlikely acts as Queen, Nickelback and the Partridge Family earned him sixth place.

"I wanted to be serious about the work but not take it too seriously, if you know what I mean," says Maroulis, whose wonderfully campy stage persona inspired the show's most love-him-or-loathe-him reactions. "I wanted to take the piss out of ('American Idol') a little bit and kind of poke fun at myself for being part of such a huge show. So I went up there and tried to challenge myself and the audience."

Those challenges, by Maroulis and other contestants, made this season the show's finest.

"As far as talent goes," Underwood says, "we had pretty much everything, and I think that's why this year was so successful."

However, after the conclusion of the "American Idols Live" tour, the singers' futures are less than certain. Even Underwood, who's practically guaranteed to follow the platinum trajectory of previous winners like Kelly Clarkson and Fantasia Barrino, may not have much of an idea of what's ahead, considering that contractual stipulations mean she'll have little control over her own career.

"I'm not worried about that, though," assures Underwood, who seems far too polite (or eager to please) to acknowledge that she deserves material far better than the insipid "Inside Your Heaven." It's not for nothing, after all, that Clarkson and Barrino have since attempted to distance themselves from "American Idol."

"I'm just so grateful to be in the position that I'm in," Underwood says. "I'm just going with the flow right now, and I think my album will come together quite nicely because I think everybody (involved in making it) is on the same page."

Bice, however, isn't so sure. In fact, the 29-year-old Alabama rocker says he's glad he lost, if it means he'll have more say in his own artistic decisions. (Just, please, no more "Freebird.")

"I'm a songwriter and I want to have some creative control, and that's not what 'American Idol' is about -- it's a singing and pop contest, and I'm not a pop guy," says Bice, explaining that he auditioned for the show to parlay the exposure into success for his band of 10 years, Bo Bice and Sugar Money.

"But you won't ever hear me dog the show," he adds. "Yeah, I want to separate myself from it so people know that Bo is a cat who's just here to play and write music. But please, man, let's be realistic -- I'd still be trying to make a living at a bar and playing at church if it wasn't for the show."

Indeed, Bice is the rare nonwinner who's translated his "Idol" stint into wider success. His first single, "Inside Your Heaven" -- yes, he and Underwood each recorded the same song -- reached No. 1, and his debut album is being helmed by Clive Davis, the man responsible for the careers of Houston and Alicia Keyes. And while his participation on the show surely won't earn him points with credibility-obsessed rock fans, Bice, who couldn't sound more laid-back in conversation, isn't worried.

"I actually went onto the show thinking I was going to have to do a lot worse stuff than I did, so I'm not too concerned about that, man," he says. "I don't feel like I sold out or compromised myself. I would've sung any one of those songs that I sang on that show out at a bar or out at a gig."

Maroulis, on the other hand, cops to initial concerns that his participation on the show would open him up to ridicule from the rock scene. But he says the exposure paid off, landing him a role on a forthcoming TV drama, publicity for his band Pray for the Soul of Betty and a track on the recent Queen tribute, "Killer Queen," alongside Sum 41 and Joss Stone. He also plans to release a solo album in 2006.

"Listen, I just rolled the dice when I auditioned because there are few opportunities for artists anymore to go out there and do their thing, and here it is the biggest stage in the world," Maroulis says. "Now I'm just trying to keep it going, to build something out of all this and make it into a career."

Which is, of course, what every contestant hopes. But even if the track record of former runners-up indicates the odds are stacked against them when it comes to long-term success, hopefully this year's cast has proved to the next crop of "American Idol" wannabes that pushing the envelope at least makes for a much more compelling -- and wonderfully high-drama -- season.

"Throw caution to the wind and just do it," Underwood urges future contestants. "I mean, all of us gave it all we've got, overcame a whole lot just being on the show and learned a lot about ourselves. We're just normal people trying to do what we love and follow our dreams."
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Bad news...

Bo didn't perform at the concert here in Las Vegas tonight. They told us that something happened earlier in the day and Bo wasn't well enough to perform. They asked for our prayers. I've searched the local news, but nothing yet. If you hear of any news regarding this incident please post it here.

Sorry to hear that Uncle David. I know you were looking forward to seeing him. Hope he is Ok.

Up Where They Belong SurvivorGirl's Avatar
    I hope Bo's alright.

And I hope he's going to be well enough to perform at the one in San Jose tomorrow because that's the one I'm going to.

I spoke to a friend who went to the concert with me. She told me that just after I left (during Carrie's performance of 'Alone') Carrie told the audience that during rehearsal yesterday Bo started feeling poorly and went to the hospital. Nothing more was given in the way of information about Bo's condition. I'm still trying to find out what happened. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David
    I spoke to a friend who went to the concert with me. She told me that just after I left (during Carrie's performance of 'Alone') Carrie told the audience that during rehearsal yesterday Bo started feeling poorly and went to the hospital. Nothing more was given in the way of information about Bo's condition. I'm still trying to find out what happened. :-(
    What a coincidence, Uncle David. I went to the Grand prairie concert and I left while Carrie was singing Alone too. It was strange how many other people were leaving when we were.

The concert this year just wasn't nearly as good as they've been in the past. I don't think I'll be going to any more. Not because of the talent - but there was no support, no back up singers or dancers and a very flimsy set.

Bo looked well when I saw him, but he was hobbling around with a foot in a cast and a cane. Bless his heart, he can't catch a break.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann
    What a coincidence, Uncle David. I went to the Grand prairie concert and I left while Carrie was singing Alone too. It was strange how many other people were leaving when we were.
    I adore Carrie so I didn't want to dog her here by saying it, but, since you brought it up, I was amazed at how many people were leaving the concert during Carrie's performance.

From creditable reports online:

Apparently, Bo had a blockage in his intestines that was life-threatening and required emergency surgery. He will need a minimum of 6 weeks for recovery, and will be returning home to do so.

Best Wishes for a speedy recovery, Bo!
    Last edited by LAGuy; 08-20-2005 at 10:15 PM.

+ Reply to Thread