+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Bo Bice

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    So I'm quite comfortable with the knowledge that he did NOT enter this contest to win it.

It appears that most of us believe what Bo said was the truth, not just sour grapes. And rightly so.

Bo has always been up front about the reason he entered this competition... it was a bet with his mother. He's always said he didn't expect to win. As a matter of fact there was quite a stir about his 'couch' statement on one of the elimination shows. The statement he made (I turned away and missed it so I paraphrase) regarding not caring if he was sent home. That he'd have been happy just to have made it that far. Since he made these, and other statements like them, long before the competition was over his comments in Rolling Stone Magazine can’t, by definition, be sour grapes. They are just an affirmation of his stated position.

Bo has always comported himself in a gentlemanly and honest manner. He’s never lied about his past. (Although I believe it has come out that others have misled us about their true amateur status) And I believe that he is telling us the truth now.

I still admire and respect the man, and look forward to the release of his single and full CD.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam
    I understand completely where Bo is coming from, and I'm fine with it. I think he really wanted to come in second in the finals. That way, he got maximum exposure without having to wear the cheesy American Idol title. He is enormously grateful that he got all of that exposure, and a lot of folks who voted to keep him in the competition until the finals felt ambivalent about him winning, for the same reason that he did.
    I also think AI producers wanted to have Bo in the show, but they had no interest in seeing a rocker win the whole shebang. Bo satisfied himself, the judges, the producers, and his true fans.
    Pillbeam, I always find myself agreeing with your posts. While I think Bo is probably wishing he'd worded his comments differently, I think he enjoyed his experience and is grateful for the exposure he got, and for the people who voted for him. You really hit the nail on the head (for me) with your comments that I bolded. I was very ambivalent about whether I wanted Bo to win. I also agree that TPTB wanted Bo on the show for the different dimension he brought, but it's so apparent that they had their winner picked out early on in the show. (I do not mean this in any way as a slam against Carrie, but I think they wanted her to be the winner from the very beginning).

Uncle David said:

He actually sang three. Vehicle and Inside Your Heaven (the two songs on his single and a third original song. I believe he sang that same original song on Regis and Kelly.
    Did Bo sing more than one song on Regis and Kelly? When I saw him, he did "Drift Away," but I might have changed the channel too soon.

I'm looking forward to seeing Bo on The View on Wednesday. It will be very interesting to see him in that environment, and I'm sure someone there will ask him about the whole winning/not winning issue currently being discussed.
    Last edited by clay crazy; 06-20-2005 at 08:27 PM.

No one will ever convince me that anyone would actually go into a contest like that and plan to lose. I, and many others, will probably continue to believe that Bo is trying to make us all think that winning isn't important and that he is glad that he didn't win. I don't know about all the others, but I'm not buying it for a minute. I wouldn't believe it if any of the others had said it either. It's still coming off as sour grapes to me.
    He has the right to try and make us believe it, and he has probably succeeded with some but not with me.
    I like Bo and wish him the best. I truly think that he has a bright future. I think he owes a lot of that future to AI.

FORT Newbie
    I don't think Bo entered to "lose", he entered with low expectations that he would go anywhere due to this being a mainstream/pop competition. He knew going in that he wasn't going to allow himself to be molded into an image the producers wanted him to be, but he was going to stick to who he was even if it meant he would exit early. To his surprise (he has said this many, many times), people liked him enough to keep him around. He has also stated that this was one of the best things that has happened to him. He's been nothing but gracious towards the show, the judges, and Carrie . He has been nothing but gracious about the food poisoning thing(even though Simon threw him under the bus) by not allowing it to be talked about and used for an excuse. He says he went out and gave 100% finale night. Bo never alluded that he was mainly in the competition to win or become famous. He's always stated that it's mainly about the music with him. If he feels that second place suits his interests as a musician better(I agree with him) more power to him. He knows more about the contracts than we do. And he's had his share of disappointments with them. Bo's not always the best at wording things, he kind of just says what he feels at the moment. What you see is what you get. I respect that and I appreciate it. On top of that ,he has a multitude of talent, which is the biggest reason I'm a fan. I've watched all 4 seasons of Idol and this is the first time I will be buying a contestants C.D. so I hope he does well. All this other stuff will pass. Keep the Bo love!

Quote Originally Posted by clay crazy
    Did Bo sing more than one song on Regis and Kelly? When I saw him, he did "Drift Away," but I might have changed the channel too soon.

I'm looking forward to seeing Bo on The View on Wednesday. It will be very interesting to see him in that environment, and I'm sure someone there will ask him about the whole winning/not winning issue currently being discussed.
    Now that you mention it CC I believe that it was The Early Show where he sang the original song, not Regis and Kelly.

I too am looking forward to Wednesday. It will be nice for Bo to have an extended chance to talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Libra40
    Bo's not always the best at wording things, he kind of just says what he feels at the moment. What you see is what you get. I respect that and I appreciate it.
    Great post Libra. You nailed it. However, I believe that even though some here may not be able to deal with his bluntness, he said exactly what he meant. Winning this competition would not be as beneficial to him as a second place finish. The reasons have been posted here ad nauseam so I don’t feel compelled to state them once again.

Why don’t we all just agree to disagree and move on?
    Last edited by Uncle David; 06-21-2005 at 03:16 AM.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    I went home last night and watched the Today show again. I'm not sure what the anchor person's name is (I watch GMA) but she brought that comment in Rolling Stone to his attention. Bo said that he phrased it wrong and that if it wasn't for us, his fans, he would have never made it as far as he did. He also said that he was thankful and appreciative to AI and especially to the fans. But the fact still remains that he did enter on a bet with his mother. He never thought people would support him the way we did. Just thought I'd let you guys know that.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Libra40.

Excellent first post! Your input is much appreciated.

This debate could go on for years to come and none of our opinions would change. I like Bo and think he did a very good job. I don't worship him as so many seem to and I don't know him personally, as so many others seem to, so I can't actually tell all his personal thoughts and actions. I can and will state that I'm positive that he or anyone else would go into a contest like that with one thing on their mind and one thing only, WINNING. I think he made it far enough to really help his career take off. That is the main thing. As far as the image molding thing, I don't even know what that means. He certainly wasn't allowed to go there and run things to suit himself, I am positive of that. In spite of how people feel about him, he didn't run the show. He was just a contestant like all the others.

I know of no one here who ‘worships’ Bo, nor anyone who has ever claimed to know Bo personally. This is just an ad hominem attack and has no place in a reasonable discussion. The people who choose to believe the facts laid out several times in this thread do not deserve this kind of insult.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    Everyone is entitled to their opinions. I accept them and will not try to change their minds. We obviously interpreted his comment differently. I was just recapping what Bo said when he was quoted saying that. I am sure there is a part of him that is upset he didn't win. But when you look at how well Clay did, I think he came to the realization that it is okay to come in second in a competition they ALL wanted to win. No matter what way you look at it, they are BOTH winners (career wise) with Carrie holding the AI title.

On a side note to get off this subject. I went to 3 different stores and could NOT find his single. I spent my whole lunch hour looking for it. Luckily, hubby is in a different area than I am and I asked him to look for it and he found it He also picked up Carrie's single for me too.
    Last edited by combatcutie; 06-21-2005 at 01:39 PM.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

+ Reply to Thread