+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Bo Bice

Quote Originally Posted by LAGuy
    At least this "victory" by Bo was acknowledged by the judges. And the recaps at the end made it even more clear, by going from the clip of Bo singing it to the clip of Carrie. His version had modulations in volume, tone and expression, whereas she just plowed through it, lacking any of the "color" that Bo brought to it. I didn't even understand the song until I heard Bo do it.
    Could not agree with you more on this statement!

The best moment of the whole night was when Ryan first attempted the coin flip. I laughed so hard that I almost fell off the couch!
    "Since no one can ever know for certain whether or not his own view of life is the correct one, it is absolutely impossible for him to know if someone else's is the wrong one." -Gore Vidal

Ruben & Clay: Best Buds Summergal 215's Avatar
    Hey everyone. I've been a lurker for awhile, but I want to share my opinions of last night's finale. IMO, Bo deserves to win. I never understood all the Carrie pimping. I didn't understand it last year with Fantasia or the year before that with Ruben. Don't get me wrong, all these singers are good in their own right, but it's irritating that whatever Simon wants, Simon gets. And I sure hope he doesn't get it this year, for the following reasons:

1. Bo takes risks. Sure, he's a rocker, and for the most part, he stays within that limitation because it's his genre, but he isn't afraid to take risks. Last week he sang a song purely acappella with no background band. Carrie, for the most part, has stayed within her country-pop bubble the entire time. Granted that she has a strong voice and she's comfortable with her genre, but there is no risk factor.

2. Bo has fun. When he romps on the stage with the mic stand, you can tell he's enjoying himself. Carrie always looks like she's constantly trying to show she's having fun. Whereas with contestants like Vonzell the playfulness comes naturally, Carrie's attempt at dance moves seem to show how uncomfortable she is on the stage. Bo has proven over and over again that he owns the stage whenever he's on it.

3. Bo has a unique voice and unique style. Carrie's got a strong voice to her credit, but there are thousands of other girls out there that have the same voice and the same girl-next-door quality. You will never find another singer that has Bo's combination of personality, style, and vocal distinction. Bo stands out in a crowd, whereas for me, you could find plenty of other girls that are carbon copies of Carrie.

4. Bo could hold his own against other AI alum. Let's think about the true success stories that AI has bred: Kelly, Ruben, Clay, Kim Locke, and Fantasia. If Bo had to compete against contestants like these, he would still stand out among them in vocal strength and ability. If Carrie was up against these alums, I believe she would be torn apart. She had the advantage of being the best female vocalist among her crop this year, but if thrown against the likes of LaToya, Fantasia, and Jennifer from season 3, or even Kim Locke and Trenyce from season 2, she would have dissolved into the background.

5. Bo has emotion and connects to the audience. When he sings, I feel his voice and his presence because it resonates so well. Carrie is a great vocalist, but she has not yet reached that level in her performance where I can say that I felt her when she sang. For me, she is a singer with a good voice who does not yet feel completely comfortable on stage. She seems stiff and stationary for the most part, whereas Bo has no problem moving around and showcasing emotion.

6. Bo is consistent with song choice and performance. Whereas I could probably count one or two off songs for Bo, I could count at least five for Carrie. Carrie has made good stabs at versatility, and I praise her for that, but she doesn't quite pull it off all the time. That rocker song that Simon said she sounded like a kitten trying to be a tiger is a good example. And I don't care what anyone says, but "Sin Wagon" for me was abysmal. It sounded very nasal, and Carrie is capable of better. And I was horrified at her version of "If You Don't Know Me By Now," a song that Anthony did far better, but was never credited for it. Simon resorted to blaming the band's arrangement, and while that may have played some part in the debacle, it was ultimately the vocals that failed, not music floating out of the background. This, in my opinion, is not have the track record of a winner.

7. Lastly, here's my review of the finale. Both, in my opinion, were not quite as good as I anticipated them to be, but with rumors floating around that both are recovering from illness, this explains why they both seemed a bit off. However, I feel that Bo pulled above Carrie vocal-wise. She had the power notes, but she seemed strained throughout all her songs and I got the impression that she was pushing too hard instead of letting it flow. And most importantly, she was off key. Naturally, no one bothers to mention this. If Vonzell was a few notes off, she was torn apart for it. Bo, on the other hand, while much more subdued than Carrie, sang much more consistently pitch-wise and overall, gave a more balanced performance.

It's been enjoyable having both Carrie and Bo on the show this year, and I truly do believe that American got it right in sending them to the finale. They are, in my opinion, the two best singers from this season and deserve to be where they are now. However, I am pulling for Bo for the win.

IMO, for all these reasons and more, this is why Bo deserves to be our fourth American Idol.
    Last edited by Summergal 215; 05-25-2005 at 10:34 AM.
    "I remember crying in the park, it was getting dark, suddenly I looked up and you were my sky." ~ Kelly Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by mom3
    I just read an MTV article/interview with Kelly Clarkson and, when asked about Bo, she actually says, "Don't laugh, but I don't even know who Bo Bice is." I realize she is busy with her career, but you'd have to be living under a rock to not have heard of Bo Bice by now. I live on the other side of the world from the U.S. (on a small island, no less) and everyone here knows who Bo Bice is. What vacuum is she living in?

Mom3, it seems a little while ago someone started a thread expressing Simon's anger at someone and in the thread it said it was Kelly Clarkston. The thread's not here, but when I read Kelly's response, I thought, "She's got to be kidding!" People on the other side of the world know who Bo Bice is!

I am now wondering if it is Kelly that Simon is angry with. I can not imagine a former finalist let alone a winner not following the show. Maybe she was just getting tired of being ask this question over and over again?

Quote Originally Posted by Grisabella
    The songs 19 gave these two to sing spoke volumes to me about who they want to win -- as did the judges kid glove treatment of Carrie. (She was all over the friggin' place with her pitch on her first song, and had anyone but "the chosen one" done that in any season, they'd have been all over her/him like a cheap suit! She sounded gawdawful! And pulling out the last few notes can't make up for that.

Why on earth would they have someone they themselves have pushed as a "rocker" all season do two ballads for the finale if they didn't want him to lose??

Next,the band drowned Bo out on "Vehicle" and the camera work wasn't done to showcase him. (Compare that with his earlier performance of the same song, where his voice blew everyone away and the camera work was geared to spotlighting his persona and stage presence.)

In fact, the band and choir pretty much overpowered Bo's vocals on all 3 of Bo's songs tonight. His voice is plenty powerful enough, as we heard when he sang a cappella last week and when he's rocked out on previous performances. But I could swear, replaying my tape, that the band held back when Carrie was singing and cranked it up when Bo was singing. That was fine when Bo was belting out some lines, but when he did the softer parts of the song the band continued to blast away. Sheesh!

In the part of the competition with the most even playing field -- the song "Inside Your Heaven" -- I agree with Simon: Bo was better than Carrie.

By a mile, IMO.
    Grisabella, I recall reading that the producers have the power to control the microphone on group numbers whereby the stronger singers are heard better. I believe the performer was Carmen. They downed her mike. I don't know if that is the right expression, but is it possible they could do that for one singer?

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Bo, I love you, and I am definitely a supporter, but last night was mediocre at best. I still want you to win!!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by mom3
    I just read an MTV article/interview with Kelly Clarkson and, when asked about Bo, she actually says, "Don't laugh, but I don't even know who Bo Bice is." I realize she is busy with her career, but you'd have to be living under a rock to not have heard of Bo Bice by now. I live on the other side of the world from the U.S. (on a small island, no less) and everyone here knows who Bo Bice is. What vacuum is she living in?
    I would not believe for a minute that Kelly wouldn't have heard of Bo by now. I'd take that as Kelly feeling threatened by Bo's existence in AI/music circles. What better innocent insult than "never heard of him..." If Carrie wins, she will be no threat to Kelly's newly found rock career (Carrie definately will not attempt rock of any kind), but Bo could and would swiftly dethrone Kelly as the American Idol winner who rocks.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tirlittan
    I would not believe for a minute that Kelly wouldn't have heard of Bo by now. I'd take that as Kelly feeling threatened by Bo's existence in AI/music circles. What better innocent insult than "never heard of him..." If Carrie wins, she will be no threat to Kelly's newly found rock career (Carrie definately will not attempt rock of any kind), but Bo could and would swiftly dethrone Kelly as the American Idol winner who rocks.
    Bad news for us. :-( :-( :-( I was just on the ET site. Anyway, if you click on the Bo/Carrie picture (scroll down) you go to a different page. Then click ont eh backstage video. They talked to people about the performance and who they thought would win. Anyway, they have Paula, Randy and Simon saying they thought Carrie won it with the final note of the last song. :-( Then the interviewer asked did it outdo Bo's a capella performance last week and Ryan seems to think her last note may have changed minds or something. Oh and what got me was when Bo and Carrie were asked who did they think won it and Bo pointed to Carrie. :-( Oh and there was a clip of Constantine saying that big notes get big votes or something. I thought he was a Bo fan. I feel so bad today! :-( :-( :-( I really wanted Bo to win this. I know he will be okay but I just think he deserves it so much. Oh well.....

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Tirlittan, I like the way you think!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by my3boyz
    Bad news for us. :-( :-( :-( I was just on the ET site. Anyway, if you click on the Bo/Carrie picture (scroll down) you go to a different page. Then click ont eh backstage video. They talked to people about the performance and who they thought would win. Anyway, they have Paula, Randy and Simon saying they thought Carrie won it with the final note of the last song. :-( Then the interviewer asked did it outdo Bo's a capella performance last week and Ryan seems to think her last note may have changed minds or something. Oh and what got me was when Bo and Carrie were asked who did they think won it and Bo pointed to Carrie. :-( Oh and there was a clip of Constantine saying that big notes get big votes or something. I thought he was a Bo fan. I feel so bad today! :-( :-( :-( I really wanted Bo to win this. I know he will be okay but I just think he deserves it so much. Oh well.....
    I'm going to put very little stock in that, considering the absolute shock that these judges have shown at some of the booted contestants each week. They don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Kariann1
    Mom3, it seems a little while ago someone started a thread expressing Simon's anger at someone and in the thread it said it was Kelly Clarkston. The thread's not here, but when I read Kelly's response, I thought, "She's got to be kidding!" People on the other side of the world know who Bo Bice is!

I am now wondering if it is Kelly that Simon is angry with. I can not imagine a former finalist let alone a winner not following the show. Maybe she was just getting tired of being ask this question over and over again?
    That's interesting...I would not be surprised if Simon was unhappy with Kelly if she has made these comments before. In the MTV interview (which, by the way, was dated 24 May 05) she basically implied she was far too busy these days to follow the show. She may have been unhappy with the restrictions of her contract with 19E, but in my opinion it shows little class to bite the hand that originally fed you.

Back on topic with Bo! I have to say that I like both these performers, but find Bo more interesting to watch. As everyone on this board has already said, they will both have careers in music and do well.

+ Reply to Thread