+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Bo Bice

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama
    Bo gets to sing with Lynryd Skynryd...Ryan just didn't mention it.....
    That's idiotic. Why would Ryan fail to mention the guests who are the bigger stars? Rascal Flats ain't nothing compared to Skynryd. That doesn't help battle the notion that maybe the stupid producers wanted to tease us (or the voters) with the idea that Carrie was the favorite. Although I suppose mentioning both bands would have favored Bo a bit. Why not mention NEITHER? The show doesn't need to pimp the guests to get viewers.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

I just read an MTV article/interview with Kelly Clarkson and, when asked about Bo, she actually says, "Don't laugh, but I don't even know who Bo Bice is." I realize she is busy with her career, but you'd have to be living under a rock to not have heard of Bo Bice by now. I live on the other side of the world from the U.S. (on a small island, no less) and everyone here knows who Bo Bice is. What vacuum is she living in?

FORT Fogey

'Idol' Covers Paying Off For Gavin DeGraw, Los Lonely Boys

'Idol' Covers Paying Off For Gavin DeGraw, Los Lonely Boys

Artists whose songs are performed on TV are seeing dramatic sales increases.

"American Idol" pays artists to let contestants sing their songs on the show, but it seems maybe the artists should be paying "Idol." As recent charts show, artists whose songs are performed on the singing competition see dramatic sales increases following the broadcast.

Two weeks ago, after Bo Bice sang Gavin DeGraw's "I Don't Want to Be," DeGraw's Chariot Stripped soared from #146 to #92 on Billboard's albums chart with a 61 percent sales boost (see "Springsteen's Latest Leaves Mariah, Rob Thomas In The Dust"). Meanwhile, online sales of the track itself, through Web sites like iTunes, rose a massive 94 percent.

Bice proved a powerful sales force again last week after singing Los Lonely Boys' "Heaven." The following week, Los Lonely Boys' self-titled debut, which includes the track, surged from #121 to #81 on a 77 percent sales increase.

And it's not just Bo. Rascal Flatts' Feels Like Today climbed from #27 to #22 with a 43 percent sales bump after Carrie Underwood sang "Bless the Broken Road," while Brian McKnight's Gemini jumped from #191 to #147 with a 46 percent sales boost following Scott Savol's rendition of "Everytime You Go Away" (see "Nine Inch Nails' With Teeth Devours Chart Competition").

Also last week, single sales jumped for Backstreet Boys' "Incomplete" and the "American Idol" season four finalists' rendition of Diana Ross' "When You Tell Me That You Love Me" after Anthony Fedorov and Vonzell Solomon sang those songs, respectively. (The Backstreet Boys and "Idol" albums have yet to be released.)

Certainly these figures are no coincidence.

"We've been scratching our heads, and there doesn't seem to be anything else that would cause those particular albums [to rise]," Billboard Director of Charts Geoff Mayfield said Wednesday. "It's not like there were big promotions or pricing changes. Our belief is the 'Idol' performances drew interest."

Though "Idol" is nearing the end of its fourth season, the show's influence on sales of recently released albums is a new phenomenon, as this is the first season the show has featured themes that allow contestants to sing contemporary music. Mayfield, however, has been tracking the show's impact on the catalog charts since "Idol" began four years ago.

"We noticed early on that the Bee Gees and Lionel Richie and other vintage artists who had been featured on the show, either as judges or when their music was performed, saw some pretty significant spikes," Mayfield said. "So it would make sense that would happen for current music."

Sales for so-called vintage artists have also been impacted this season. After Constantine Maroulis sang Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody," a highlight of the season (see " 'American Idol' Recap: Constantine Now Rocker Of Choice, Nadia Like 'Wallpaper' "), the song suddenly appeared high on the downloads chart, Mayfield said.

In those cases, it's assumed that younger music fans are being turned on to veteran artists through "Idol." But shouldn't those same viewers already be familiar with DeGraw, Los Lonely Boys and the Backstreet Boys artists who currently have top 40 radio singles?

"With the nature of radio being what it is, sometimes the consumer doesn't have a chance to put a name with a song until they see it performed on television," Mayfield explained. "Even if it's not the original artist [singing it], if the singer says, 'I'm doing a song by Gavin DeGraw,' the viewer says, 'Oh, I like that song, I'm going to get that album.' It's connecting dots."

Interestingly, Maroulis said it was more challenging to get newer songs cleared than older ones, despite the "Idol" producers' willingness to pay up to $6,000 for the rights.

"They don't necessarily want some kid on TV playing their song and maybe messing it up, so I'm sympathetic to that," said Maroulis, who was eliminated after singing Nickelback's "How You Remind Me," a song he selected after the artist behind his first choice refused to clear it (Maroulis wouldn't name names).

With the recent sales figures, however, clearing new songs should become easier. "Clearing songs, in general, gets easier each year as the show's popularity grows," Co-Executive Producer Ken Warwick said.

Maybe even someday like with "The Apprentice," where companies pay big bucks to have their products be part of the competition artists and their record labels will start writing checks instead of cashing them.

Corey Moss

I'm in Portland, OR, and I called a lot (though not in a frenzy) over the first 2 hours on my cell phone, getting through about 20 times each hour.

After 11 PM I started getting through about 7 out of 8 times. No more busy signals, but sometimes a "Your call did not go through..." message.

I'm still calling, but I'm about to crash.

The songs 19 gave these two to sing spoke volumes to me about who they want to win -- as did the judges kid glove treatment of Carrie. (She was all over the friggin' place with her pitch on her first song, and had anyone but "the chosen one" done that in any season, they'd have been all over her/him like a cheap suit! She sounded gawdawful! And pulling out the last few notes can't make up for that.

Why on earth would they have someone they themselves have pushed as a "rocker" all season do two ballads for the finale if they didn't want him to lose??

Next,the band drowned Bo out on "Vehicle" and the camera work wasn't done to showcase him. (Compare that with his earlier performance of the same song, where his voice blew everyone away and the camera work was geared to spotlighting his persona and stage presence.)

In fact, the band and choir pretty much overpowered Bo's vocals on all 3 of Bo's songs tonight. His voice is plenty powerful enough, as we heard when he sang a cappella last week and when he's rocked out on previous performances. But I could swear, replaying my tape, that the band held back when Carrie was singing and cranked it up when Bo was singing. That was fine when Bo was belting out some lines, but when he did the softer parts of the song the band continued to blast away. Sheesh!

In the part of the competition with the most even playing field -- the song "Inside Your Heaven" -- I agree with Simon: Bo was better than Carrie.

By a mile, IMO.
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ;-D

FORT Fanatic
    wow...up to $6000 for rights to perform that one night. no wonder AI had older songs/eras early on the season where getting rights are easier and cheaper since most have been done on AI or was on other shows/commercials/etc. i guess thats why they went with the current/modern songs later into the season with less contestants so they can put all them money out for them. too bad some artists don't want to be associated with AI. like what this article said artists benifited from it. i paid 88-99 cents to download songs like total eclipse, incomplete, broken road and several others. songs i liked and don't have on my mp3 player. i already own degraws, heart, queen, orbison's, martina. i guess this shows which contestants i like. didn't care for vonzell's choices...overdone/oversung.

iwonder who's constantine's first choice was.

and producers must've loved vonzell cause she saved them lots of money by doing songs previously done before in past seasons. and carrie & anthony that night they both sang the same song. they only paid them once right? lol.

I just finished voting, that was a loooooonnnnnnnng four hours. I averaged about 10 texts a minute and 16 when I was focused. I voted nonstop- even when nature called. I will never look at my cell phone the same again, especially the re-send button. I sure hope he wins.

Bo got many votes from me, as well. I thought he did an awesome job singing last night. He is so much more diversified as a singer than Carrie, IMO.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Of course I'm in sweet home, so it was difficult to vote. DH got in 34 and I 17.

Big news on the local FOX station is that Bo had bad food poisoning and was up all night Monday night. I'm really glad, though, that Paula didn't try to get sympathy votes for him. That can backfire big time.

On another food news item, FOX local affiliate interviewed Bo's gf last night and she said she missed his cooking. What you want to bet that's not all she misses? lol

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    Bo did an awesome job last night with songs that (I personally think ) were written especially for a female performer. The last song (sorry old age has creeped up on me and I can't remember the name) almost brought me to tears.

It really doesn't matter who wins because they are both stars. But, I really think Carrie is going to win. I was getting through way too many times last night for Bo while my husband only got through 5 times for Carrie.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Quote Originally Posted by Grisabella
    The songs 19 gave these two to sing spoke volumes to me about who they want to win -- as did the judges kid glove treatment of Carrie. (She was all over the friggin' place with her pitch on her first song, and had anyone but "the chosen one" done that in any season, they'd have been all over her/him like a cheap suit! She sounded gawdawful! And pulling out the last few notes can't make up for that.
    Yeah, but hasn't that been the pattern all season (unfortunately)? Carrie's gotten the "kid glove treatment" week in and week out -- moreso than anyone I can remember ('cept possibly Ruben). Like the week that Simon blamed the band's arrangement for her crappy job on "If You Don't Know Me By Now". Puh-leeze.
    Why on earth would they have someone they themselves have pushed as a "rocker" all season do two ballads for the finale if they didn't want him to lose??
    Because, as Simon said last week, he prefers Bo doing ballads instead of rock songs. But to slam Bo on the "dreariness" of the first song, which they got him to sing, was really an unfair criticism, imo. He did what he could with it, but you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, ya know?
    Next,the band drowned Bo out on "Vehicle" and the camera work wasn't done to showcase him. (Compare that with his earlier performance of the same song, where his voice blew everyone away and the camera work was geared to spotlighting his persona and stage presence.)
    I'm glad you pointed that out. I've re-watched Bo's original "Vehicle" more times than I can count. Last night, though he didn't seem to perform it with the blazing power he did the first time, it was also hard to tell just how he was performing it, since the damn camera kept cutting away at all the crucial points. I want you[cut], I need you[cut]. Talk about sabotaging his performance...
    In the part of the competition with the most even playing field -- the song "Inside Your Heaven" -- I agree with Simon: Bo was better than Carrie.

By a mile, IMO.

At least this "victory" by Bo was acknowledged by the judges. And the recaps at the end made it even more clear, by going from the clip of Bo singing it to the clip of Carrie. His version had modulations in volume, tone and expression, whereas she just plowed through it, lacking any of the "color" that Bo brought to it. I didn't even understand the song until I heard Bo do it.

+ Reply to Thread