+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "American Idol"'s Tamyra Gray to Join Bombay Dreams

"American Idol"'s Tamyra Gray to Join Bombay Dreams

Singer Tamyra Gray, who shot to stardom in the first edition of TV's "American Idol," will make her Broadway debut in the musical Bombay Dreams beginning Nov. 9.

Gray, who placed fourth in the hit TV singing competition in 2002, will assume the role of Priya, the earnest film director in the Bollywood-themed musical, for a limited engagement of 12 weeks.

"I have been an admirer of Tamyra Gray from the start and am thrilled she's joined the Broadway Company of Bombay Dreams. She's going to be wonderful", said A.R. Rahman, Bombay Dreams composer, in a statement.

Following her exit from American Idol, Gray was the first alumnus of the reality TV smash to attain crossover success, with appearances on TV's "Boston Public" and "Tru Calling." In May 2004, her album "The Dreamer" was released, featuring songs the singer had written or co-written.

Bombay Dreams, the musical that plants a Bollywood tale on a Broadway stage, opened at the Broadway Theatre April 29. Song titles include "Salaa'm Bombay," "Bollywood," "Love's Never Easy," "Lovely, Lovely Ladies," "Bhangra," "Shakalaka Baby," "I Could Live Here," "Is This Love?," "Famous," "Chaiyya Chaiyya," "How Many Stars?," "Hero," "Ganesh Procession," "The Journey Home" and "Wedding Qawali."
    http://www.playbill.com/news/article/89014.html

tamyra will be doing a couple interviews tommorrow to promote the show according to her official site.

Tamyra will be interviewed live this Monday, November 8 on the following:

FOX 5 Good Day New York at 8.30am

CNN Headline News at 9.54am

Last edited by jdanton2; 11-10-2004 at 09:57 AM.

Tamyra will appear in the Macy's thanksgiving day parade on thursday november 25th .She will appear as a member of the cast of the broadway show "Bombay Dreams" . It will air on NBC from 9am -12pm eastern time.

Foster Your Inner Kacey BobDobolina's Avatar
    I looked at the cast photos, and Tamyra is the only non-Indian. I found that a bit odd. It makes her presence seem a bit gimicky, but hopefully I'm wrong. I hope she does well with it, in any case.

I saw her perform with the Macy's day parade and thought she did very well.

I agree Bob, it is a little weird.

I saw the Macy's appearance, and it was gawdawful. This show will close FAST.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayarinca
    I saw the Macy's appearance, and it was gawdawful. This show will close FAST.
    Really? I guess to each their own.

I thought it was very good. They play has recieved great reviews. It has been on for quite a while, but without Tamyra.

She lip-sunc during the parade but so does every broadway play performance & recording artists.

Quote Originally Posted by AIWANNABE
    Really? I guess to each their own.

I thought it was very good. They play has recieved great reviews. It has been on for quite a while, but without Tamyra.

She lip-sunc during the parade but so does every broadway play performance & recording artists.
    Actually, it is getting poor reviews ... this is just one of MANY that I found online....

http://www.theatermania.com/content/...t_news_id=4657

Foster Your Inner Kacey BobDobolina's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayarinca
    Actually, it is getting poor reviews ... this is just one of MANY that I found online....

http://www.theatermania.com/content/...t_news_id=4657
    It's worth pointing out that nearly all the reviews are from the spring, way before Tamyra came on.

Still, I think you're right. For the most part, the reviews have been quite negative. Nevertheless, the show has survived for 6 or 7 months on Broadway, which says a lot given that some poorly reviewed shows can be taken down after only a couple showings. Apparently, the reaction of people who go see the show is very different than that of the reviewers. In the New York Times Reader Reviews, it gets an average of 4.5 stars. From what I understand, the soap-opera-ish candied bollywood sensibilities just doesn't sit well with most NY critics. Audiences seem to be having a lot of fun with it, though.

That said, I haven't read much about how Tamyra has done so far. If anybody has any good links, feel free to post. (please don't tell me that she does a fake Indian accent.)
    Last edited by BobDobolina; 11-26-2004 at 09:23 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast