+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "American Idol"'s Tamyra Gray to Join Bombay Dreams

a really nice interview/article with tamyra about 'bombay dreams ' also a really beautiful new picture of tamyra as well in this article .

http://www.theatermania.com/content/news.cfm/story/5371

Tamyra Gray in Bombay Dreams
    (Photo © Joan Marcus)
    THE GRAY ZONE
    Many dreams have come true for Tamyra Gray in the past two years: a finalist spot on TV's American Idol, a recurring role on the TV series Boston Public, and a hit CD (The Dreamer). Now, she's taken over the starring role of Priya in the musical Bombay Dreams. While Gray isn't Indian, she sees more than a few similarities between herself and her character. "Priya is this very independent filmmaker who doesn't want to abide by the rules," she tells me over lunch at Khyber Grill, "and I've always wanted to do my own thing with music. I've never been interested in following anyone else's format. I was so lucky that my record company let me put out the album I wanted to make, which allowed me to show my artistry and not worry so much about what would be a hit on the radio."

She also considers herself lucky to be working with her co-stars. "This cast has been so welcoming and extraordinary," she says. "I hear that's not always the case with other shows." Gray saw Bombay Dreams three times before stepping into the part earlier this month, "but I didn't want to see it more than that because I wanted to develop Priya on my own. I've created this whole back story, especially about her relationship with her father."

Gray has very strong relationships with her own family -- her mother lives in Georgia, her dad in Maryland -- many of whom will be here with her throughout the holiday season. On Thanksgiving, they'll be getting up early -- though perhaps not as early as Gray -- to watch her perform with her castmates in Herald Square as part of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. "Originally, I was going to cook for Thanksgiving," she says, "but since I have to be up at 5am and since we have two shows the day before, I asked my mom if it was okay if we just went out to a restaurant for Thanksgiving. But I will definitely be cooking for Christmas!"

it looks like 'bombay dreams is closing on january 1st . tamyra will be out of the job i guess. hopefully "19" has something else planned for tamyra. :rolleyes

http://www.broadway.com/gen/Buzz_Story.aspx?ci=503444

Broadway's Bombay Dreams to Close on New Year's Day
    by Broadway.com Staff

Manu Narayan
    & Tamyra Gray

Bombay Dreams will play its final performance at the Broadway Theatre on Saturday, January 1, a production spokesperson confirmed to Broadway.com. At the time it closes, it will have played 31 previews and 284 regular performances on Broadway.
    Bombay Dreams tells the story of a handsome young slum-dweller and his dreams of becoming a Bollywood movie star. The musical contrasts the fantasy of the film world with the harsh realities of life on the streets of Bombay. Based on an idea by Shekhar Kapur and Andrew Lloyd Webber, Bombay Dreams features music by A.R. Rahman, lyrics by Don Black (who is also the co-librettist and co-lyricist for Dracula, The Musical, which will close the day after Bombay Dreams) and a book by Meera Syal and Thomas Meehan.

Story continues below

The show first opened in London on June 19, 2002 and closed there on June 13, 2004. While the London production featured a book just by Syal, Meehan revised the script before the show came to Broadway.

Bombay Dreams, directed by Steven Pimlott and choreographed by Anthony Van Laast and Farah Khan, opened at the Broadway on April 29, 2004 to mixed to negative reviews. In his ,a href=http://www.broadway.com/gen/Buzz_Story.aspx?ci=37795>Broad way.com Review of the piece, Ken Mandelbaum wrote: "Bombay Dreams was actually more appealing [in London] when little was explained, and the show was simply allowed to evince the giddy extremes, energy, and excess of a Bollywood movie. What slender fun there may have been in the original version has been seriously diminished... Throughout the new script, an attempt is made to explain away the banality of the plotting by making tongue-in-cheek comparisons between what's happening on stage and the conventions of Bollywood films. But making the show more self-aware only serves to expose the cardboard nature of the story, with its show-biz clichés and stereotypical characterizations. If the London version hardly ranked as a distinguished musical, it seemed to evince a certain carefree energy, functioning in the eccentrically haphazard fashion that Bollywood movies often do. The show was over-the-top and sweetly silly. The New York script is more sensible, but also blander and, by the second half, tedious. Doing things in a more professional manner has removed the exotic charm."

Recently the producers of Bombay Dreams tried to increase the box office by bringing in American Idol's Tamyra Gray for a limited engagement in the lead female role of Priya. However, since her addition there has been only slight movement in the grosses and last week the large theater was filled to only 56.34% on average.

In addition to Gray, Bombay Dreams stars Manu Narayan as Akaash, Anjali Bhimani as Rani, Yolande Bavan as Shanti, Sriram Ganesan as Sweetie, Marvin L. Ishmael as Madan and Deep Katdare as Vikram.

As previously reported, there is a film version of Bombay Dreams in the works. The production is also expected to tour next season.

Foster Your Inner Kacey BobDobolina's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jdanton2
    it looks like 'bombay dreams is closing on january 1st . tamyra will be out of the job i guess. hopefully "19" has something else planned for tamyra. :rolleyes
    Hmm. I don't know if I'd frame it that way. Tamyra's engagement was only for 12 weeks. So, ending on the new years means she'll be stopping after 7 weeks, i.e. 5 weeks early. I doubt that will have much impact on whatever she was planning to do

well i was hoping they have something planned for her after the 12 week run . it seems "19' has no plans on pushing anymore single off tamyra's cd as it was . i am hoping they have something lined up for her in other acting jobs or whatever . if they do they will have to push it up 5 weeks to keep tamyra out there .

Foster Your Inner Kacey BobDobolina's Avatar
    I hope so too, jdanton. I thought there were a lot of strong singles candidates on her album. Supposedly, a dance remix of her raindrops songs has been doing well lately, so maybe that'll encourage them to go down that line. Who knows?

i think last night was tamyra's last performance in "bombay dreams" . there is a three page article from "time magazine" this week that talks about "bombay dreams" among other things related . tamyra has a not so good mention in it though on the first page of the article.

http://www.time.com/time/columnist/c...013198,00.html

"Well, no. The show, budgeted at an outsize $14 million, received weak reviews ("A monochromatic musical in the key of beige." —Ben Brantley, New York Times). Rahman didn’t get a Tony award, or even a nomination, for his music — the finest, broadest score in ages wasn’t deemed one of the best four on Broadway last season! (Out of a total of about seven.) The Indo-American audience wasn’t large enough to keep it afloat, and it didn’t attract the idle non-Desi curious. Inserting American Idol notoriety Tamyra Gray did little to pump up the gross. Bombay Dreams ran only eight months and closes today, Jan. 1. "

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12