+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Preview for this week's Field Trip

Preview for this week's Field Trip

From www.lfpress.com

My hometown, by the way. This is huge news.
    Idols make unexpected stop

TEVIAH MORO, Free Press Reporter 2004-08-01 01:59:04

Cleveland-bound Canadian Idol finalists made an unexpected London landing yesterday when their jet was turned away from Cleveland to make room for a much bigger star. U.S. President George W. Bush's landing at Cleveland in Air Force One diverted the chartered jet carrying eight Idol contestants.

"We were told it was a definite no because Air Force One was at the airport," said Erin Brock, Canadian Idol senior associate producer.

Bush was on a campaign swing through Ohio yesterday, where he also made an unscheduled stop.

The president's unexpected stop was for a game of catch with members of the Cleveland Browns professional football team.

The young up-and-coming Canadians singing sensations had been on their way to Cleveland's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame to learn about modern music history, said Jon Dore, host of the popular CTV series.

"We are going to be inspired to write some rock music for this week's performance show," Dore said.

The London stop was documented on camera yesterday and will air as part of Wednesday night's show.

After leaving Toronto yesterday, the 16-seat-luxury jet turned around and flew to London, the nearest Canadian stop. The jet landed in London about 9:30 a.m. and was ready to take off again for Cleveland at 11 a.m.

"We just made the decision to come back to London to be on Canadian soil," Brock said.

Lounging in the jet's seats, waiting to take off from London, were eight sleepy-eyed young idols, anxious to soak up the vibes of their favourite rock icons.

Joshua Seller, 23, a Sarnia-area native, could hardly wait to see the Elvis Presley and Beatles displays at the hall of fame.

Experiencing the rock-star life, travelling in a luxurious private jet was a first, he said.

For the other seven finalists -- representing Canada from Newfoundland to British Columbia -- the cushy initiation to a starry lifestyle was also a learning experience.

Theresa Sokyrka, 23, of Saskatoon and Elena Juatco, 19, of Vancouver, were trying to grab some shuteye during their delay in London.

"I don't really think we're considered rock stars yet," Sokyrka said.

Asked who would most likely win the Canadian Idol contest, all contestants pointed to Kalan Porter, 19, of Medicine Hat, Alta.

"This thing is so unpredictable," a modest Porter said about the contest. "This thing can change every week."
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Damn that W, eh? Gettin in the way of our Canadian Idols! :phhht
    Interesting article, MissF, thanks for posting it. So all the kids have conceded to Kalan. Wonder if that'll provide incentive for them to outdo him, or just kind of give up. Depends on the person I guess.

FORT Fogey
    said Jon Dore, host of the popular CTV series
    Am I the only one that read this as a glimmer of hope?

Quote Originally Posted by dfleming2
    Am I the only one that read this as a glimmer of hope?
    XD Maybe they'll kick Ben out next year. At least Jon tries to be interesting (but usually fails. Badly). But meh. It's probably a typo. Booo... XD
    last night i held aladdin's lamp so i wished that i could stay but before the thing could answer me well someone took the lamp away i looked around a lousy candle's all i found - steppenwolf, magic carpet ride

Foster Your Inner Kacey BobDobolina's Avatar
    Ah, you speak the truth. John Dore is indubitably the foundation of the show. He the idol bedrock of Canadian Idol. Without him, it would not be idol because there would not be any of the patented idol cheese.

To solve this problem, I suggest they schedule the next field trip to be to Guantanamo Bay. I'll forward a little tip to ashcroft saying that Dore is here to promote gay marriage, and I'm sure he'll coincidentally get "detained" for the next few months, or at least until the end of CI. Blink the porch light twice when you're ready to send him over, and I'll get the plan going.

I actually wonder if Jon is poised to take over next season. In last week's TV Guide, Ben had hinted that he might not return because he has other things he wants to do. Yeah, sure he does. He'd like to work in LA as a male mannequin.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

He'd like to work in LA as a male mannequin
    Don't you think that might be a stretch for Ben?????

FORT Fogey
    I read that too Miss F... here's hoping...(I'm picturing him and Holly from BB getting along quite well if he gets that mannequin gig)

+ Reply to Thread