+ Reply to Thread

Thread: All of the theme weeks! (Spoilers)

FORT Fogey

All of the theme weeks! (Spoilers)

CTV just posted all of the weeks, and what there planning for each, here's the article.

Toronto, Ontario (July 20, 2004) - Canadian Idol will pay tribute to the songs of two musical legends as part of a terrific line-up of Top 10 shows announced today by CTV. Music Hall of Famer Gordon Lightfoot and singing superstar Lionel Richie will be featured in two of nine themed shows on Canadian Idol.

Both artists will appear on the hit series as they work with the competitors in preparation for their respective shows. Richie will also perform on the results show following his theme show.

The first theme show - "Canadian Hits" - features a smorgasbord of Canadian music ranging from Jann Arden, Blue Rodeo, Bryan Adams, Deborah Cox and Alanis Morissette to Paul Anka, Steppenwolf, Leonard Cohen and Glass Tiger. Airing tomorrow, Wednesday, July 21 at 8 p.m. ET/PT on CTV, the special 90-minute episode is the first to be broadcast live from Toronto's John Bassett Theatre in front of a sold-out studio audience of over one thousand.

The episode prominently features the hometowns of the Top 10 competitors in short biography segments that will air before each performer takes to the futuristic, brand-new Canadian Idol stage. In the following night's results episode, correspondent Jon Dore will introduce viewers to the Top 10's new home, an 18,000 square-foot mansion (with 10 bedrooms and 14 bathrooms) located in Toronto’s most exclusive neighbourhood.

A Companion of the Order of Canada, Gordon Lightfoot is the recipient of 11 Juno Awards. He was inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame in 1986 and in 1999 received a star on Canada’s Walk of Fame. Lionel Richie has sold over 100 million records around the world and has had 22 Top 10 hits. He is the winner of five Grammy Awards and an Oscar.

Below is a tentative outline of Canadian Idol's Top 10 shows:

July 21: Canadian Hits - Canadian Idol's Top 10 compete in an all-Canadian show with a salute to some of this country's most celebrated and successful musicians.
    July 28: British Invasion - From The Hollies to Dido, the Brits have been invading us with one great act after another for over 40 years. Now, the Top 9 present some of the best British hits ever recorded.
    August 4: Rock and Roll - In this explosive episode, the Top 8 rock it out with selections spanning the age from Elvis to Evanescence.
    August 11: The Music of Lionel Richie - From The Commodores to his most recent release Just For You, Lionel Richie is one of the world's most successful recording artists. The Top 7 perform highlights from his career while Richie takes to the stage on the August 12 results show.
    August 18: The Music of Gordon Lightfoot - A Canadian legend and national treasure, special guest Gordon Lightfoot appears as the Top 6 pay tribute to this prolific singer/songwriter.
    August 25: Summertime Hits - The Top 5 hit the midway at the Canadian National Exhibition and roll out the classics in this send-up of summertime fun.
    September 1: Musicals Standards - Backed by a live Big Band, the Top 4 pay homage to the age of the Rat Pack.
    September 8: Judge's Choice - As the stakes get higher, Canadian Idol's four-member judging panel put the final three to the test as they perform songs chosen specifically for them.
    September 15: Finale - The first half of Canadian Idol's two-part grand finale, tonight's the night that Canadians vote for the next Canadian Idol.
    Tickets to Canadian Idol's live performance and results shows are available at all Ticketmaster outlets, online at www.ticketmaster.ca or by telephone (check local listings). Tickets go on sale at 1 p.m. on the Monday prior to the next week's shows and sell out quickly. Rush tickets are also available to the most enthusiastic fans showing up at the John Bassett Theatre two hours before show time.
    Looks like a good lineup! Can't wait for tommorow night to see how they fare with the Canadian hits, should be exciting.

I'm impressed to see they're revealing all the themes in advance. Shows the producers are on the up and up. Unlike another show on this continent which blatantly manipulates its weekly themes to suit the strengths of the judges' favorites and expose the weaknesses of the ones the judges want knocked off.

for Brit, rock, and big band week. We might actually hear some real music on this show. I might need oxygen to get through Lionel Richie week. Hope this doesn't sound ignorant, but is Gordon Lightfoot well known outside Canada? Never heard of him.

caught by the window MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    In a van down by the river!!!... watching the Canucks on my 3" TV
    wow, this is an almost perfect theme set...

I could do without Lionel Ritchie and Gordon Lightfoot weeks... moreso Ritchie week, that's just so "been there, done that" .. Ritchie is such a media-whore... but I digress..

mostly because I don't like "single-artist" theme weeks as a whole... but I for one can't WAIT for Rock and Roll week

Excellent themes!

Lionel Ritchie?
    I can't wait for British Invasion and Rock and Roll. I think it's going to be interesting, for sure.
    They have great themes, they better make great songs selections. Don't let the viewers down!

Gordon Lightfoot? For pity's sake, is that the best they could come up with? Would it kill them to pick something a little more current? A little more up-tempo? Something more FUN? What's on tap for next year, an Anne Murray theme week?

And Lionel Richie? Is this some kind of cruel joke?

Well, the Musical Standards might be fun.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Oh dear, as a Brit I'm really not looking forward to the British invasion week.
    I have visions of the God-awful Ryan Star and her appalling version of You Really Got Me.
    "That's Numberwang!"

+ Reply to Thread