Hometown: Saskatoon, SK
    Audition City: Regina, SK
    Place of Birth: Moose Jaw, SK
    Nickname: "T-Bone," "Tess"
    Sounds Like: Ani DiFranco
    Identifies With: Sarah Harmer
    Musical Style: Jazz / Folk / Funk
    Fashion Style: "Unique"

"I breathe music; doing anything but music seems too much to ask. Getting up and doing music-related things all day…now that sounds like a wicked career."

Top 32 Song List:

Summertime

Theresa Sokyrka wrote her first musical composition at age four. Entitled "Chickens Climb Up the Ladders," the song had to do with "chickens climbing up ladders and the farmer being quite mad about the situation," she says. Fast forward 19 years and Theresa is the winner of C95 and CTV's "Saskatoon Idol" competition - and now a Top 32 competitor in Canadian Idol. In addition to singing in church, where her mother was the choir director, Theresa has sang with the Ukrainian Orthodox Youth Choir, experimental band Phagoo, jazz band The Jeff Martin Trio and ensembles at Red Deer College. Indeed, Theresa credits Red Deer College, where she studied for two years, as "the reason I am the singer I am today…their belief in me from the beginning inspired my belief in myself."

Theresa, who also plays the violin and guitar, says people would be surprised to find out that she is quite shy when not onstage. "I am a walking oxymoron," she says. "I feel more at ease to be myself when I'm being watched."

Theresa cheers for the Edmonton Oilers, enjoys watching Biography, loves her mother's cornmeal ("It's sa-weet!") and says if her pet cat Jaco was human, she'd marry him.

Who would Theresa love to meet? "John Lennon. What an honour to meet such a song-writing legend. I've been listening to the Beatles my entire life and Johnny always made me think."
    "That's Numberwang!"

Name: Theresa Sokyrka

Hometown: Saskatoon, SK

Audition city: Regina

When did you first start to sing?

I honestly can't remember. One of my first memories was having my own room just down the hall from my sisters and singing them one of my own masterpieces as a 4-year-old, "Chickens Climb Up the Ladders".

What is your favourite song to sing?

"Summertime"

What CD would your friends be surprised you own?

Anything by the Carpenters...and I don't care if my friends don't like the Carpenters -- I think they rule!

Who in the music world do you think your style is most like?

I've been told I sound a lot like Ani Difranco when I sing. But I wish I could say Sarah Harmer.

How would your friends describe you?

Full of life.

Besides performing, what other talents do you have?

I played the violin for 12 years. I play the guitar. I can make a bird noise with my mouth, tie a chery stem with my tongue and that's pretty much it.

What are your goals in life?

Getting up and doing music-related things all day...now that sounds like a wicked career, one that I could definitely dig.

My definition of a Canadian Idol is:

Someone who is a positive role model. Someone who shows their versatility, musically. Someone who has respect and humility. Someone who can really touch people with music.

Who is your Canadian Idol?

I'd have to say Sarah Harmer. She's such a great songwriter and seems to be such a collected person. Her songwriting is very different, sultry and strange. I love it.

Who in the Canadian Idol Top 11 did you identify with the most?

I didn't really watch the first show, but I remember seeing one episode of Jenny Gear singing "God Bless the Child." She was darn good.

What are your greatest strengths entering this competition?

Number one, my versatility in the music I sing. Because I chose jazz as a major focus, I had to learn many different styles of music so I'm comforatble singing anything. Number two, my spunk. I like to have fun and be friendly.

What is your biggest fear regarding this competition?

That I'll forget who I was before it.

If you don't make it on Canadian Idol, what will you do?

I'll keep plugging away. I plan to keep writing my music. I won't just give up.

How would your life change if you were to become Canadian Idol?

I'd have a faster paced life definitely. I'd hope that I would be singing a lot more too. I'm sure that people would probably recognize me walking down the street. I don't think I even know how different it would be. Life would be unrecognizable.
    "That's Numberwang!"

If you don't make it on Canadian Idol, what will you do?

I'll keep plugging away. I plan to keep writing my music. I won't just give up.
    She's fabulously talented...she's going to make it one way or another. This competition is going to give her great exposure and experience.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I like her voice, but her earnestness slightly annoys me. I keep having flash back of another girl singer with glasses, Lisa somebody I think?

You must be thinking of Lisa Loeb, Lotus.

I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Yes Jane, that's it!

Her voice reminds me of Eddie Reader from Fairground Attraction.
    They had a huge hit in the UK, back in the early 90's I believe with Perfect, then Eddie went solo.

She seems like she takes it all very seriously, which might be her downfall if the voters decide they want someone with more of a spark about them.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Ha,ha at that pic. Theresa completely ripped off Lisa Loeb's look. I mean, completely!

Foster Your Inner Kacey BobDobolina's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotuslander
    I like her voice, but her earnestness slightly annoys me.
    hehe, is there anything people can't be annoyed by? I gues it's probably just idol pulling the hyper-criticality out in all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by happyblue
    Ha,ha at that pic. Theresa completely ripped off Lisa Loeb's look. I mean, completely!
    You've never been to Saskatchewan, happyblue...there's an abundance of sweet, earnest, glasses-wearing, good girls here

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast