+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Theresa Sokyrka

Quote Originally Posted by BobDobolina
    Sheesh, not this argument again. Just because you disagree with the judges does not mean we're all brainwashed -- a suggestion which I think is insulting -- or that they have some sinister, unfair bias. :rolleyes Is it so hard to fathom that other people may have different opinions and tastes than you?

For the record, I've gone back listened to her performances more times than is probably healthy. Frankly, I can't wait until I have the opportunity to sit through a 2 hour concert of her's. I'm sure it will be riveting.

Agree totally

[/QUOTE]:A Manoah sings with that 'look at me' quality, desperate for attention and it overshadows her performance. Theresa doesn't do that and just lets the song be the star..[/QUOTE]

I like that turn of phrase - "let's the song be the star" That's exactly what the really captivating singers do.

saskatoonboy (if that's where you're really from) Music is an art, art is subjective, just because Theresa doesn't appeal to you doesn't make the rest of us deaf. You are welcome to your opinion .. and so are the rest of us.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

FORT Fanatic
    :
    For the record, I've gone back listened to her performances more times than is probably healthy. Frankly, I can't wait until I have the opportunity to sit through a 2 hour concert of her's. I'm sure it will be riveting.
    I'm listening to it right now and I love it! I'm honestly not earing the breathiness that several people have mentioned and I like how her voice gets softer occasionally and varies without having the melisma that some singers think has to be in every song they sing.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Filangi
    You almost had me.

I think Theresa is a better singer, hands down, over Manoah. However, I'm not as sold on her as others and have said as much. I felt that Theresa didn't sing as strong as she could have, but managed to do a good job.

Manoah reminds me of a lounge singer that is about ready to lay on a piano. I find everything about Manoah very false. The only thing I find remotely fake about Theresa are her 'thank you's'. Manoah sings with that 'look at me' quality, desperate for attention and it overshadows her performance. Theresa doesn't do that and just lets the song be the star.

Is Manoah talented? Yes. She has a great voice but nothing that is superior to anyone in this competition. I don't care for her performance style. Do I think the judges are trying to hold her back? Um, no.

You HAVE to admit...if Theresa had sang "Hallelujah", the SAME way that Manoah did, in the SAME way (with all the passion, and vitality, and energy, and theatricality, and husky voiced richness that Manoah did)...the judges would be creaming in their pants, or doing backflips, or both. No one can deny it. Manoah's was a brave song choice, and she pulled it off. Theresa's song choice was about as SAFE as you could get, and she did NOTHINg to make it stand out. Naturally, Jann Arden songs are pretty simple, and it is hard to "jazz them up", but anyone with EARS can hear that Theresa was WAY off in the notes and the timing in that song. And a lot of people around here are saying it, but naturally, not too loudly...LOL...cuz people don't want our hometown girl to have ANYTHINg negative said about her. Anyway, I wish them ALL luck...they're all good in their own way.

Foster Your Inner Kacey BobDobolina's Avatar
    Saskatoonboy, I knew you're new here, and I can tell the attitude you have towards other users is generally positive, but saying things like

Quote Originally Posted by saskatoonboy
    but anyone with EARS can hear that Theresa was WAY off in the notes and the timing in that song.
    is essentially an insult to anybody who doesn't agree with you. Personal attacks at the FoRT are against the rules, and trust me, the mods are quick to delete posts and ban people. Even if you do believe what you said, you should find a way to say it that is more respectful to other posters in the forum. As a bonus, it may actually lend credence to your viewpoint.

Saskatoonboy, I knew you're new here, and I can tell the attitude you have towards other users is generally positive, but saying things like

is essentially an insult to anybody who doesn't agree with you. Personal attacks at the FoRT are against the rules, and trust me, the mods are quick to delete posts and ban people. Even if you do believe what you said, you should find a way to say it that is more respectful to other posters in the forum. As a bonus, it may actually lend credence to your viewpoint.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. In fact, wouldn't have said it so nicely myself!!

Did someone get turned down for a date with Theresa back in high school, or something?

j/k, Saskatoonboy. Dissenting opinions are always welcome, makes the conversation far more interesting.

Anyway, as a CI viewer with ears I think Theresa is an absolutely brilliant singer (which has nothing to do with the fact I now live in Saskatoon, btw). Very poor song choice last night, but she certainly does deserve to live another day in the competition.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I agree AJane, her song choice last night was not good.
    I would imagine she has enough of a fanbase to get her through this round anyway though.
    "That's Numberwang!"

It's sensei time! Masai & Pygmie's Avatar
    She's also doin' that transformation thing before our eyes...

Nerdy Clay to Roling Stone Clay
    Fat to svelte Kim Locke
    Potato sack slouchy Jenny Gear to debutante/prom queen

What will we end up with, cause I think she will be the lone female finalist near the top.
    "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." -- Henry David Thoreau

Foster Your Inner Kacey BobDobolina's Avatar
    I was just watching the Today show, and they had Norah Jones as a guest. I was really struck by how similar their voices are (and styles from what little we know of Theresa). I don't if CI can get the necessary rights, but Theresa could tear it up with a nice NJ cover. I'm crossing my fingers.

+ Reply to Thread