Hometown: Medicine Hat, AB
    Audition City: Edmonton, AB
    Place of Birth: Medicine Hat, AB
    Nickname: "Jake"
    Sounds Like: Bryan Adams
    Identifies With: Billy Klippert
    Musical Style: Rock / Christian Rock
    Fashion Style: "Whatever I feel comfortable in"

"I could not be the singer I am today without my mom dragging me to music lessons and making me practice. She always said I would thank her one day and she was right!"

Top 32 Song List:

Lady

According to his mother, Kalan Porter was able to hum parts of Brahm's Lullaby at 18 months. He hasn't stopped singing since. Kalan took classical voice lessons from 10 to 14 and at 16 began singing in his family rock band, where he also plays guitar, bass and piano. Kalan is also an accomplished violin and viola player, which he has studied since he was eight. He continues to perform solo, with a quartet and in an orchestra as well as teach six violin students.

Kalan grew up working on his family's fifth generation buffalo/cattle ranch, where he fed, weaned, corralled and branded livestock. He recently completed his first year in the Commerce program at Medicine Hat College.

Kalan loves steak and sushi, the Medicine Hat Tigers and Late Night with Conan O'Brien. He likes to snowboard, wakeboard, play volleyball, run and "could not live" without his car. Kalan is "game for just about any activity," and has skydived, white water rafted and scuba dived.

Kalan's Canadian idol? "People like Rick Hansen who have overcome adversity to achieve something that makes a difference in the lives of Canadians," he says.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Name: Kalan Porter

Hometown: Medicine Hat, AB

Audition city: Edmonton

When did you first start to sing?

My mom has said that at the age of 18 months I was able to hum part of Brahms' Lullaby and I haven't stopped singing since.

What is your favourite song to sing?

MercyMe's "I Can Only Imagine".

What CD would your friends be surprised you own?

They'd probably be surprised at the number of classical music CDs I own.

Who in the music world do you think your style is most like?

I think my style is fairly similar to Brian Adams or other pop/rock artists.

How would your friends describe you?

They'd probably say that I'm a good friend with a great sense of humour. They'd also say I have my head on straight when it comes to making good choices in my life and that I'm a lot of fun to be with because I'm game for just about any activity.

Besides performing, what other talents do you have?

Other than singing I have played the violin and viola for 10 years. I perform solo, with a quartet and in an orchestra. I also play guitar, bass and piano in my family band. I snowboard, wakeboard, run and play rec volleyball.

What are your goals in life?

I'm presently pursuing a career in the music industry. I would like to be a successful singer/songwriter. I am hoping the Canadian Idol experience will open up some doors in this area.

My definition of a Canadian Idol is:

An extremely talented singer and performer who has the integrity and personality to be an excellent ambassador for Canada.

Who is your Canadian Idol?

My Canadian Idols are people like Rick Hansen who have overcome adversity to achieve something that makes a difference in the lives of Canadians.

Who in the Canadian Idol Top 11 did you identify with the most?

I identified most with Billy Klippert because he is from Alberta and we share similar tastes in music.

What are your greatest strengths entering this competition?

My greatest strengths are my music background and my experience performing in public.

What is your biggest fear regarding this competition?

Not doing my best because I have allowed nerves to get in the way.

If you don't make it on Canadian Idol, what will you do?

I will continue to explore other options that may contribute to a successful music career.

How would your life change if you were to become Canadian Idol?

I would have to recognize that I would be a role model as well as an ambassador for Canada -- a responsibility that should not be taken lightly.
    "That's Numberwang!"

If he can overcome his shyness at being in the spotlight, he's a sure thing to win. He has the best voice in the competition, including last year's performers.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I'm very,very pleased that this kid has a good voice as I can see him doing well whether he had or not.
    I think he's a real cutie, but also think that he absolutely deserves his place in the top ten on vocal merit.
    I think his biggest competition, based on ability, would have been Raj, who sadly didn't have the cute factor working for him.
    "That's Numberwang!"

This guy's vocal talent is sickening! Not in the way but in the way.

Foster Your Inner Kacey BobDobolina's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    I think he's a real cutie, but also think that he absolutely deserves his place in the top ten on vocal merit.
    I agree. His vocals are so good that I'm rooting for him despite the fact that he looks like a boybander . He's the first male contestant that I've completely enjoyed since the get go. All the other ones had to grow on me.

Kalan is very good, but I think it's too soon to proclaim him the second coming. Take away that young Roger Daltrey look and it's just an 18 year old kid singing lite pop-classical like a watered down Josh Groban (which is sort of a good thing). I'm reserving my judgement as of now. But I can already see Zack trying to turn Canada against Kalan. I think Josh will be Zack's first target of dairy-related barbs, but once Josh is out, Zack will be gunning for Kalan.

Quote Originally Posted by addikted
    Kalan is very good, but I think it's too soon to proclaim him the second coming. Take away that young Roger Daltrey look and it's just an 18 year old kid singing lite pop-classical like a watered down Josh Groban (which is sort of a good thing). I'm reserving my judgement as of now. But I can already see Zack trying to turn Canada against Kalan. I think Josh will be Zack's first target of dairy-related barbs, but once Josh is out, Zack will be gunning for Kalan.
    I agree on the whole Josh thing. I think he is going early. Not really sure why he made it to begin with. His last performance was NOT good IMO and Zack is going to eat him for lunch . I also agree that Zack will try to get to Kalan but remember Ryan from last year? Zack did the same thing and ended up loving him. Kalan is 1000 times better than Ryan vocally so it shouldn't take Zack too long to warm up to him at all. I am so impressed with this kid. He has a great talent.
    Be good to yourself. There are a lot of people out there that won't be.

John Stamos For President Bob_Saget_Fan's Avatar
    Has anybody heard Mike Patton of Faith No More? Kalan sounds very similar to him.

TV Fanatic Snake Champion baskiddball's Avatar
    This guy is a natural rocker, and his Born to Be WIld was AMAZING. He will go very far in the competition!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast