+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GROUP THREE - Contestant Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Spoose
    I'm looking forward to this week's performances, especially Theresa! I didn't get to see her in the auditions, but I've certainly heard great things about her since then (she's from my hometown!). I might even be compelled to vote a couple of times....Saskatoon needs somebody to cheer for!
    I really hope theresa does well and that all of Saskatoon votes for her.It is so cool to have someone from toon town make it this far,and that is because she has a phenominal voice. Make sure you vote
    Looks like it's gonna be a long week

I find Constant unremarkable. Maybe I'll be surprised tonight.

I like Jacob and Diane the best out of this group so far, but I usually wait until after the show to decide who to vote for.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

The only one I really remember from this group is Theresa. I hope she's able to handle the pressure and perform well tonight. This is really the stage of the game where nerves really come into play for a lot of the contestants.
    Darn Kangaroos!! I am le tired.

FORT Newbie

Recent Interview with Theresa Sokyrka!

I just read a great interview with Theresa from CSNNOW, but I couldn't post the link here
    Hope you guys read it, She's GREAT!!
    I think she can make top ten easily!
    She is number 8 tonight!

I like Theresa & Jacob!!1

Another impressive group. This show just keeps getting better . What I really like about CI is I get the sense it’s more about embracing these singers’ individual flavor than molding them into a pop stereotype. There were four from this group I’d like to see more of:

Theresa: She’s got this totally cool Joni Mitchell meets Norah Jones vibe. Every time she sings, I can feel the jazz, folk, rock influences- whatever the song is.

Jacob: This must be a sign of the apocalypse. A punk rawk kid with a faux hawk on an idol show. I don’t know if he’ll sound as good when he’s forced to sing pop songs- I remember him sounding like Mickey Mouse when he sang Islands in the Stream. But it’ll be fun to see.

Diane: Why that song? It was not her style at all. I wonder if she sang it in Toronto and got good reviews. I still really, really like the sound of her voice. She’s like a neo soul Cassandra Wilson with that bluesy rasp.

Andrew: I was having flashbacks to a baby Ralph Tresvant with that high voice and dance steps. Seemed like he really wanted to let loose, but was contained by the song. Should pick a faster, more modern song if he gets called back for wild card, something like Usher’s You Remind Me.

p.s. Canadians, you are doing an awesome job with voting

Agreed, addikted. The one thing that separates CI from other Idol shows is the judging. The judges are more open to various styles of singing. Someone like Kaleb would be criticized for his excessive trills by, say, AI judges. (Even Debra Byrd, the singing coach from AI and now CI, urged him to sing "clean" in the top 32.) Someone like Theresa would probably be passed on for not being marketable enough (i.e. radio-friendly, pretty enough). I think CI judges have better taste in music or a deeper appreciation for artistry than judges from other shows.

Diane: Why that song? It was not her style at all. I wonder if she sang it in Toronto and got good reviews.
    Diane sang Ready For Love, funny enough. How does she go from India Arie to Carly Simon?

Song selection by all contestants has been a big disappointment for me this season.
    Last edited by happyblue; 07-04-2004 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by happyblue
    Diane sang Ready For Love, funny enough. How does she go from India Arie to Carly Simon?
    Thanks for the response, happyblue. I was actually referring to the Toronto semis when they showed a montage of female singers singing Nobody Does It Better. My gut says that Diane sang it in Toronto, the judges liked it, and she thought she would get good reviews by singing it again.

Quote Originally Posted by happyblue
    Song selection by all contestants has been a big disappointment for me this season.
    This is my first season watching CI. Were the song choices better last year? I was pleasantly surprised by many of the song choices in the initial auditions. Alicia Keys, India Arie, Josh Groban, REM, U2...songs that I would actually listen to were being used on an idol show. My standards for a show like this are rather low after the AI3 contestants' universal poor taste in music.

caught by the window MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    In a van down by the river!!!... watching the Canucks on my 3" TV
    Quote Originally Posted by addikted
    Thanks for the response, happyblue. I was actually referring to the Toronto semis when they showed a montage of female singers singing Nobody Does It Better. My gut says that Diane sang it in Toronto, the judges liked it, and she thought she would get good reviews by singing it again.

This is my first season watching CI. Were the song choices better last year? I was pleasantly surprised by many of the song choices in the initial auditions. Alicia Keys, India Arie, Josh Groban, REM, U2...songs that I would actually listen to were being used on an idol show. My standards for a show like this are rather low after the AI3 contestants' universal poor taste in music.
    exactly.. I like it most when the contestants sing songs I listen to... because then I can judge it based on the original, and how I like it compared to that...

take Kurt Nilsen in World Idol... I LOVE U2, and he blew me away doing it.. I was all like.. "whoa"

Foster Your Inner Kacey BobDobolina's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2muchfreetime
    I just read a great interview with Theresa from CSNNOW, but I couldn't post the link here
    Hope you guys read it, She's GREAT!!
    I think she can make top ten easily!
    She is number 8 tonight!
    Here's a link to the interview.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast