+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: USA Today:Simon "We had to have Fantasia win.If she hadn't, we would have had a prob

Well, we're all apparently accusing Diana of screaming instead of singing..........but isn't that exactly what Fantasia does? On the high notes she's absolutely screeching! Anyone remember Elton John night?

Anyway, I really don't think it would have been a travesty if Diana had won. It would just prove that America had different tastes than 19Evil.
    I'll miss you Amy, George, and La Toya

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieM

Besides Fantasia winning the show was not that good this year. IMO
    Well I know I liked AI2 so much that it would have been hard for the next season to top it, honestly (and I don't think I'm the only one). So maybe with next season, there's nowhere to go but up?

Quote Originally Posted by DJeterFan
    Must be hard to read if you were a fan of Diana's, but obviously the majority of people realized who had more talent. It was blatantly obvious to me, and that's why I think a lot of us just kind of roll our eyes when some fans insist there must be some conspiracy against Diana or something because how could she possibly not win? Well, because she's not that good. You might disagree, but the majority of people weren't that into her. Doesn't make either group right or wrong, but that's the way it is.
    A majority of people? 1.5% win over Diana isn't exactly a landslide.

Well, we're all apparently accusing Diana of screaming instead of singing..........but isn't that exactly what Fantasia does? On the high notes she's absolutely screeching! Anyone remember Elton John night?

For those who keep lecturing Diana fans to go back and listen to her sing...I suggest you go back and listen to Fantasia. She screeches like banshee. While most critics of Diana complain of technical issues like "she can't hit her low register", "she was off on her high notes", ect., these are issues that can easily be worked out. But there are many, many people who cannot stand the sound of Fantasia's voice. This is not something she can fix. They will need lots of software tricks to make her voice marketable. When she first sang in the top 32 my reaction was, "Arrrgggggg, what the he11 was that!?" I am not alone in my reaction.

I think Simon has gotten caught up in the Simon hysteria & is buying in to all the press he gets. He seems to say things just to shake the tree regardless of how off base or hurtful it can be. I said it before & I'll say it again his tight shirts cut off the blood supply to his brain. I don't believe he will ever say anything good about Diana & I really hope when all is said & done she makes him eat his words by outselling Fantasia by a large margin. America has one more vote & that one comes with their wallets.

I don't believe Simon is being honest when he's says Fantasia had to win because of talent over popularity. It was because they couldn't afford to have another upset over race. A lot of people in the media were insinuating (with no evidence to back it up either) the upsets were due to race. Jennifer would have made a great opera star. Pop star? Come on, I don't think so. Is it so hard to imagine teenagers would prefer John, Jasmine or Diana over Jennifer and Latoya? I don't think so. It's called a generation gap. It doesn't seem to have occurred to all the old farts in the media, most who are over the age of 40, that teenagers might not like the same contestants they do.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by RubyRed
    A majority of people? 1.5% win over Diana isn't exactly a landslide.
    the original poster never said it was a landslide, they said it was a majority. And it was a majority (unless there was an unknown third option, that some people voted for) the fact that she won means she had a majority.

Quote Originally Posted by dfleming2
    the original poster never said it was a landslide, they said it was a majority. And it was a majority (unless there was an unknown third option, that some people voted for) the fact that she won means she had a majority.
    Well, I was referring to the comment, "a majority of people were not into [Diana]".

Even one vote more over Diana would give Fantasia a majority, but 34 million votes for Diana is proof that quite a few people were into Diana.

I dunno, a lot of people are bashing Diana's talent, and I'm pretty sure no one who visits here has managed to get in the Final 2 on American Idol....

Quote Originally Posted by RubyRed
    Well, I was referring to the comment, "a majority of people were not into [Diana]".
    This is the way I look at it: Fantasia got the majority of the votes, Diana didn't. Therefore, based on the definition, it's fair to say that the majority of the voters didn't prefer Diana to Fantasia. It doesn't matter how close the votes were, the majority of any decision is at least 50+1. Fantasia got it this time around.

I have found what has been posted in this thread very interesting. It confirms to me that people have different tastes in sounds and in musical styles. I liked both of these sweet young gals. Each had different styles, different backrounds,different strengths and weaknesses. The reason that I voted for Fantasia over Diana was this. Diana had a very hard time staying on key. You can fix that in a studio but not in a live setting. She is only sixteen and has so much room to grow. I believe that experience and continued vocal instruction will help Diana to learn how to listen more so that staying on key will not be a problem in the future. One problem I have trouble with is the way the voting is handled. I read in one thread that one fan was able to vote for Fantasia over 300 times. If every fan were able to vote just once I wonder what the outcome of AI would be? Just a thought. Becoming AI is a lot to handle. I hope and pray that each of this great young ladies are able to stay grounded. Fantasia was the best of the two in my opinion. I am so happy for her and her daughter. As far as Simon goes I do believe he has an ear for true talent. I may not like how he handles the AI contestants.........but it is better to have someone be honest than to have people follow a pipedream. Jon Stevens is the perfect example of that. What a nice young man. Can you imagine what would have happened if he had made it to the final two? My personal favorite was Latoya. I would have LOVED to have watched what would have happened if Latoya and Fantasia would have faced off in the end. Higher ratings maybe? Might have been much closer that 1.6 million. Simon would have been in heaven! SO hard to be critical when someones heart and dreams are so invested. That is was AI is all about. Best wishes for both Fantasia and Diana. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by theoslady
    This is the way I look at it: Fantasia got the majority of the votes, Diana didn't. Therefore, based on the definition, it's fair to say that the majority of the voters didn't prefer Diana to Fantasia. It doesn't matter how close the votes were, the majority of any decision is at least 50+1. Fantasia got it this time around.
    Just because someone prefers Fantasia over Diana does not mean that they don't like Diana also.

Quote Originally Posted by superfly
    Just because someone prefers Fantasia over Diana does not mean that they don't like Diana also.
    Jimmy, I never said Fantasia fans/voters didn't like Diana. I like Diana. But I prefered Fantasia to Diana. My preference (and that of others) is reflected by the voting outcome. That's all I'm saying.

+ Reply to Thread