+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 120

Thread: USA Today:Simon "We had to have Fantasia win.If she hadn't, we would have had a prob

  1. #21
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    871
    Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam
    Well, Britney Spears sells millions of records, but a lot of people could argue that "she's not that good" on the albums.
    I don't listen to Britney Spears so I wouldn't know. Maybe you can suggest some of her songs that I could check out.

    If you insist on looking at it that way, well Fantasia "only" got about 1.5% more votes than Diana, so I guess a lot of people could argue that she "isn't any good" either.

    Quote Originally Posted by BobDobolina
    Perhaps, Fox should dump that Nick and Jessica variety hour and replace it with an AI variety hour. 19E could use their slave-like contracts to force a different contestant from AI 1-3 to come in and host that week and sing a few songs.

    Jesus, what the hell am I talking about? That's got to be one of the stupidest ideas I've ever come up with.
    Oh honey anything that would get Nick and Jessica off the air for an hour a week is certainly not a stupid idea.

  2. #22
    FORT Fanatic danny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    scotland
    Age
    25
    Posts
    744
    I agree with what Simon says in the title.

    plus - I love the fact that Kelly tried to help get Fantasia's family on the stage - dont ya just love her?
    Mario Vazquez - Still My American Idol

  3. #23
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by BobDobolina
    No problem. I love giving accidental assistance any time I can.

    And you're right. Diana and Fantasia had so many great performances. It's too bad it's all over. Perhaps, Fox should dump that Nick and Jessica variety hour and replace it with an AI variety hour. 19E could use their slave-like contracts to force a different contestant from AI 1-3 to come in and host that week and sing a few songs.

    Jesus, what the hell am I talking about? That's got to be one of the stupidest ideas I've ever come up with. As if the group medleys weren't bad enough. Now I'm proposing an AI version of Hee Haw? um...it was the AI withdrawal talking, not me. Really.

    I very rarely sit here and laugh out loud at something I read, but this was priceless HeeHaw? That's a riot!

    I felt that way last year, I missed the show so much, I hardly knew what to do with myself Tues and Thurs nights. (and I'm actually a married woman with kids) This year I wasn't so enamored with any of the contestants. I remember thinking last year that I wasn't sure if I'd be able to invest myself again in people that weren't Clay & Ruben & Kimberly. I think because of that I had a hard time getting into this season and no one reached out and grabbed me and made me forget AI2.

    I can be hopeful next year that with new cities perhaps they will find some people whom I give a flying fig about.

  4. #24
    FORT Fogey Kariann1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,076
    Quote Originally Posted by lurkinlady
    I very rarely sit here and laugh out loud at something I read, but this was priceless HeeHaw? That's a riot!

    I felt that way last year, I missed the show so much, I hardly knew what to do with myself Tues and Thurs nights. (and I'm actually a married woman with kids) This year I wasn't so enamored with any of the contestants. I remember thinking last year that I wasn't sure if I'd be able to invest myself again in people that weren't Clay & Ruben & Kimberly. I think because of that I had a hard time getting into this season and no one reached out and grabbed me and made me forget AI2.

    I can be hopeful next year that with new cities perhaps they will find some people whom I give a flying fig about.
    And I chuckled at your comments, lurkinlady!

    I am just imagining the Las Vegas auditions! I would assume that if a singer is not a main attraction, they could compete? What about a performer from Disney World? It should be fun and I <i><b>expect</b></i> more talented singers!

  5. #25
    FORT Fogey razorbacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    9,422
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixxin2


    Simon is a shagging arse and obviously no gentleman. :phhht
    I think Simon has gotten caught up in the Simon hysteria & is buying in to all the press he gets. He seems to say things just to shake the tree regardless of how off base or hurtful it can be. I said it before & I'll say it again his tight shirts cut off the blood supply to his brain. I don't believe he will ever say anything good about Diana & I really hope when all is said & done she makes him eat his words by outselling Fantasia by a large margin. America has one more vote & that one comes with their wallets.

  6. #26
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Flown the coop
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,947
    Kariann... I think the only rule as far as being a professional performer is that they can't have a professional CD out. Which would mean that main acts in Vegas and Disneyland may still apply.

  7. #27
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    47
    I agree with what Simon says somewhat. This season was so controversial with all of the voting upsets and what not -- and with Diana being the underdog or the little Seabiscuit , if she had won, it would have been one more upset especially given her performance in the finale, technical problems or not. However, to imply that Diana's victory alone might mar the show's credibility -- "...popularity winning over talent..." is totally unfair to Diana. She IS talented as proven many times over the season. What is ruining the show's credibility is judges who put untalented singers in the top 32 (the Roman brothers to name just two of many :rolleyes ) and an antiquated voting system.

  8. #28
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by FantasiaRules
    I agree with you. Diana does not know how to modulate. She has no texture to her voice. It's just loud, louder, loudest - glory note. BUT give her a couple of years and she will be a force.

    Viewership is also down because there were no guys after George. Teen girls want to see the hot guys. They tuned out because there were no Clay-type guys. JPL and John Stevens couldn't hold on because he had limited talent to begin with.
    Modulation! That's the word I was looking for. That's the other element that Diana lacks in her singing. It makes her sound flat, no matter what note she hits -- high or low. If she gets an offer, I'll pray for her that they don't rush a CD just to get something out. If they do, I'm afraid her career will be short lived. It will be interesting to see if someone will sign her because I think they've got some extra work to do with her that they wouldn't have to do with some of the other contestants.

    Interesting point about the lack of a teenage girl "hook" after George left. I wonder though, couldn't you say the same about last year since the top two at the end of the season were both guys?

  9. #29
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by apriltree
    I agree with what Simon says somewhat. This season was so controversial with all of the voting upsets and what not -- and with Diana being the underdog or the little Seabiscuit , if she had won, it would have been one more upset especially given her performance in the finale, technical problems or not. However, to imply that Diana's victory alone might mar the show's credibility -- "...popularity winning over talent..." is totally unfair to Diana. She IS talented as proven many times over the season. What is ruining the show's credibility is judges who put untalented singers in the top 32 (the Roman brothers to name just two of many :rolleyes ) and an antiquated voting system.
    While Diana maybe talented, her talent is VERY raw and she just isn't as talented as many of the other singers that should have made it to the top three or four. Maybe in couple of years she'll be there. But the point is she isn't there now. At best she should have been fifth. Her top-two berth was a fluke...and she even knew it. She said in an interview that she didn't think she could compete with the likes of LaToya, Jennifter and Fantasia. Said week after week she expected to be voted off. This year was sooooo kookie...(is that how you spell it?) I watched last season and could easily predict who would be voted off week after week. And when people did not make it, there was no big controversy because by and large, most of the performances were "nice" but not show stopping by any means and the audience could live with the decision to see them go. This year, there was absolutely no logic to why John Stevens, Jasmine and Diana made it as far as they did at the expense of others. While I don't think that Diana's winning would have single handedly created a credibility problem, I think it would have been the final straw for many viewers, the media and AI producers...that fans were really voting for substance over form. And you're right, some of the people should not even have been in the final 12 anyway. Bet they won't do that again! Ha! I still think Scooter Girl should have been in the top 12 -- that girl could really blow! Could have done without JPL or Jasmine in her place. But, I think her quirkiness lost Scooter Girl (what the heck is her real name anyway?) votes. Too bad. I think we would have seen some great things from her.

  10. #30
    get it off! StevieM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    inside my computer silly
    Posts
    916
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanayana
    While I don't think that Diana's winning would have single handedly created a credibility problem, I think it would have been the final straw for many viewers, .
    This show drove me and mine crazy. JPL was awful. John Stevens - American Idol?? no! (gentleman I have to say though)

    When LaToya, Jennifer and Fantasia were in the bottom 3 me and my family and friends all looked at eachother and said that's it. Then they pulled that "trick" on George which I think was really crappy.

    I felt if LaToya or Fantasia didn't win the show would be over for me.

    If Diana had won I'd never watch it again. I'm sorry but, she is not that good (IMO) she sounded like she was screaming have the time.

    She got better but, Fantasia was perfect week after week.
    I hope AI4 is better.

    Besides Fantasia winning the show was not that good this year. IMO
    So, where's the Cannes Film Festival being held this year?
    ~ Christina Aguilera

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.