+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: USA Today:Simon "We had to have Fantasia win.If she hadn't, we would have had a prob

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeterFan
    Of course, and that's great. I was just making the point that a lot more people were into Fantasia seeing as she won by 1.6 million votes and almost all the celebrities and people asked choose her as their favorite. Like I said, anyone can be a fan of anyone and it's not right or wrong. Just an opinion.

Just don't get mad at articles that discuss how much more support Fantasia had from the judges and fans.

That's 1.6 million out of 65 million. I like both ladies actually, and I am eager to hear Fantasia "tell her story" but that hardly says to me that the runner up was "not that good".

Don't get mad if people point out that the numbers and some of the facts don't quite add up to match the tone of the article.

Quote Originally Posted by geekgirl
    That's 1.6 million out of 65 million. I like both ladies actually, and I am eager to hear Fantasia "tell her story" but that hardly says to me that the runner up was "not that good".
    Well, Britney Spears sells millions of records, but a lot of people could argue that "she's not that good" on the albums.

Gotta Love that Scout scooberoo's Avatar
    I think Diana has the more listenable voice, while Fantasia is the queen of stage presence. I don't see why Simon feels he has to say that it would have been a travesty if Diana won. Now that the show is over he could say something nice about her.
    Who I'm rooting for: Survivor: Vanuatu - Scout Cloud Lee, Leann Slaby, Lea Masters, Eliza Orlins, Twila Tanner, and Lisa Keiffer.

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam
    Well, Britney Spears sells millions of records, but a lot of people could argue that "she's not that good" on the albums.
    Oh but she is. She just isn't good live. That's beside the point. Noone was trying to say whether Diana was good or not good, but simply that you can't say she's not good or isn't popular based solely on the fact that she lost to Fantasia.

From what I udnerstand fox blames the fact that last year's final was on "a week earlier" and something about being closer to summer,most people are not watching tv..there is something called a "tv heat wave" that tracks viewers....or SOMETHING lol
    ANTM 4 FAVS: MichelleBrittany

Quote Originally Posted by scooberoo
    I don't see why Simon feels he has to say that it would have been a travesty if Diana won. Now that the show is over he could say something nice about her.

Simon is a shagging arse and obviously no gentleman. :phhht
    Lead me not into temptation ~ I can find the way myself

FORT Newbie
    Come on everyone. Let's just take Fantasia out of the equasion. Now recall Diana's performances. She screams. She doesn't sing. She yells. She doesn't sing. She can hit the high notes, she can sustain the high notes. But she doesn't know how to finish them off. She just cuts them off abruptly before moving to the next lyric. And then, there's the problem with her "lower register." When she tries to bring it down, she's typically off tune, or you can't hear her well. For this reason, Diana's voice really lacks depth. That's why, coupled with the way she screams her notes, I found her absolutely excruicating at times to listen to her. If anyone of you taped the AI performances, go back and REALLY listen to Diana. I think if you're honest, you'll find that Diana needs some serious voice lessons.

Diana just got lucky. There were soooooo many more people that were a heck of a lot more talented than she is that should have been in the top four, top three and finally the top two. If Diana had won, it would have been about popularity -- not about talent.

In the end, popularity alone may not sustain Diana's career. I hope whoever signs her really works with her voice so that she can have a successful career.

Now as far as there being more votes this year than last year, don't forget that they added more phone lines this year so more people could get through. So, wouldn't that account for the fact that more people voted?

AI3 finale more popular than AI2? Well consider this. There's a possiblity that the show lost some of it's viewship when some of the more talented performers were voted off or placed in the bottom three when it was clear that some less talented performers should have been in their place. When that happened, I almost stopped watching but decided to see it through to its conclusion since I had already invested so much time into watching the show. For me, the show had lost a lot of its credibility.
    Last edited by Nanayana; 05-29-2004 at 02:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobDobolina
    Feeling that someone has more talent than another person does not necessarily imply that the other person is "not that good" as you said. MJ had more talent the Pip, but that doesn't mean Pip was not that good. They were both great, but one had some things the other didn't. (I saw your avatar, so I wanted to use a sports metaphor, but I don't know squat about baseball.)

Personally, I think Tasia winning was the right outcome. Fantasia really does have something unique and her winning, IMO, gives the AI title more credibility. The show has once again made a very interesting and unique find. Diana has oodles of talent, and I wouldn't have a single qualm with her winning. But, I do know if she had won, she would have done it as an underdog. An upset of that sort would certainly lead to endless theorizing about the reason. And, unfortunately, most of those debates would probably revolves around unfair issues like age, race, the voting system, etc., rather than justifiably crediting her talent. IMO, the negativity of that situation would probably outweight the increased exposure she would have gotten with the title, especially if people perceive the title as less credible. Right now, she came within 1% of winning, lost to a great performer, and is in good company with people like Latoya London.
    Bob, you did a good job explaining why I wanted Fantasia to win for Diana's sake! Thanks!

I did go back and view many of the previous shows and Diana really did a terrific job on some of the themes! Those who criticize Diana's performance have the right to do so, but 32.5 million votes is nothing to sneeze at. I loved her performances!

Fantasia had some fabulous moments also. She is definitely unique!

Foster Your Inner Kacey BobDobolina's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kariann1
    Bob, you did a good job explaining why I wanted Fantasia to win for Diana's sake! Thanks!

I did go back and view many of the previous shows and Diana really did a terrific job on some of the themes! Those who criticize Diana's performance have the right to do so, but 32.5 million votes is nothing to sneeze at. I loved her performances!

Fantasia had some fabulous moments also. She is definitely unique!
    No problem. I love giving accidental assistance any time I can.

And you're right. Diana and Fantasia had so many great performances. It's too bad it's all over. Perhaps, Fox should dump that Nick and Jessica variety hour and replace it with an AI variety hour. 19E could use their slave-like contracts to force a different contestant from AI 1-3 to come in and host that week and sing a few songs.

Jesus, what the hell am I talking about? That's got to be one of the stupidest ideas I've ever come up with. As if the group medleys weren't bad enough. Now I'm proposing an AI version of Hee Haw? um...it was the AI withdrawal talking, not me. Really.

DetroitRockCity
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanayana
    Come on everyone. Let's just take Fantasia out of the equasion. Now recall Diana's performances. She screams. She doesn't sing. She yells. She doesn't sing. She can hit the high notes, she can sustain the high notes. But she doesn't know how to finish them off. She just cuts them off abruptly before moving to the next lyric. And then, there's the problem with her "lower register." When she tries to bring it down, she's typically off tune, or you can't hear her well. For this reason, Diana's voice really lacks depth. That's why, coupled with the way she screams her notes, I found her absolutely excruicating at times to listen to her. If anyone of you taped the AI performances, go back and REALLY listen to Diana. I think if you're honest, you'll find that Diana needs some serious voice lessons.

Diana just got lucky. There were soooooo many more people that were a heck of a lot more talented than she is that should have been in the top four, top three and finally the top two. If Diana had won, it would have been about popularity -- not about talent.

In the end, popularity alone may not sustain Diana's career. I hope whoever signs her really works with her voice so that she can have a successful career.

Now as far as there being more votes this year than last year, don't forget that they added more phone lines this year so more people could get through. So, wouldn't that account for the fact that more people voted?

AI3 finale more popular than AI2? Well consider this. There's a possiblity that the show lost some of it's viewship when some of the more talented performers were voted off or placed in the bottom three when it was clear that some less talented performers should have been in their place. When that happened, I almost stopped watching but decided to see it through to its conclusion since I had already invested so much time into watching the show. For me, the show had lost a lot of its credibility.

I agree with you. Diana does not know how to modulate. She has no texture to her voice. It's just loud, louder, loudest - glory note. BUT give her a couple of years and she will be a force.

Viewership is also down because there were no guys after George. Teen girls want to see the hot guys. They tuned out because there were no Clay-type guys. JPL and John Stevens couldn't hold on because he had limited talent to begin with.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast