+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Thread: USA Today:Simon "We had to have Fantasia win.If she hadn't, we would have had a prob

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar
    Quote: DeGarmo said she suspected at the start of the show that she'd lost when producers told the girls, " 'Fantasia, you'll be singing Dreams, and Diana, you'll sing I Believe.' " Realizing they wouldn't have the winner sing I Believe (the first single to be released this summer) twice, DeGarmo put the pieces together. "I was sitting there going, 'Well, you just told me who won,' because they wanted I Believe to be the (final) song for the winner."

Thanks for posting the article!

The producers really blew it with their song selection for the two girls. I don't think that was a very nice way for Diana to find out who the winner was.

I also agree that Simon was stupid to diss Diana for singing "I Believe" when she hadn't climbed any mountains - uh "Duh" Simon - the producers CHOSE that song for her to sing! Please provide critisism on those things that the singers have control over!

Congratulations to both ladies (Fantasia and Diana) for their accomplishments on AI3.
    Last edited by jmb; 06-02-2004 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ToothDoc
    I'm 44 and I much prefer Diana to Latoya or Jennifer. I can listen to Diana sing disco all night. Brings back lots of memories. Oh the good ole days.

toothdoc
    Well, me too. Diana became my first pick and Latoya a close second. I actually pick George as my third pick and maybe Jennifer as a fourth. I could listen to Diana sing both old and contemporary music.

I haven't figured out what this 16 year youngster has that's so appealing to such a wide range of people. Maybe it's her extraordinary voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Fixxin2
    We all know Simon has the role of the "bad cop" in the judging good cop/bad cop scenario, but when it gets down to the finals AND afterwards, why not ease up on Diana and be gracious towards her? After all, she was chosen by the judges in the first place, and she did make it to one of the last 2 spots out of 70,000 people. Being a gentleman is not a show of weakness, and should Diana HAVE won, he would have given himself a little wiggle room to congratulate her with some measure of sincerity.
    I agree with Simon that the show would have lost credibility if Diana had won, but it's unncessarily cruel to state that truth to the media after the competition is over.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Kitten
    One note glory queen? Diana has THE voice, not Fantasia. Poor Diana, it must be open season on innocent little 16 year olds with true talent. :rolleyes
    If Diana is too innocent to hear criticism about her inability to effectively modulate "THE voice," then her parents had no business allowing her to appear on the rough-and-tumble AI show. Although, I must say, the media critics have been tougher on Diana than Simon.

In truth, Diana is not particularly "innocent" in regards to the performing world and stage presence. She has shouted out glory notes at pageants, contests, ballgames and more for many years, apparently picking up some bad vocal habits along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam
    If Diana is too innocent to hear criticism about her inability to effectively modulate "THE voice," then her parents had no business allowing her to appear on the rough-and-tumble AI show. Although, I must say, the media critics have been tougher on Diana than Simon.

In truth, Diana is not particularly "innocent" in regards to the performing world and stage presence. She has shouted out glory notes at pageants, contests, ballgames and more for many years, apparently picking up some bad vocal habits along the way.
    Oh, I didn't know Diana's father was involved in her life?

Diana did a terrific job on the "Regis & Kelly Show." I am so glad she was in the Final Two! Seems like a real sweet girl. I hope she doesn't change (for at least a couple years).

I hate to admit it, but I am glad Jennifer didn't make it to the Final Three. There seems to be an attitude thing going on with her. Don't get me wrong - she has a good voice, but...

Up until the final show, where I thought she got a bit 'lippy', I felt Diana handled criticism very well.

I don't really understand why it would have been a problem if Diana had won.
    Simon was the one judge that was pretty philosophical about the voting, while Randy and Paula commented that "America got it wrong" when both Jennifer and LaToya were booted.
    He seemed resigned to accepting the decision of the voters so it seems ridiculous to me to make this an issue once the show is over.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Simon seems to adopt several different roles. When he limits his comments to the actual vocal performances he is almost always dead-on. I have a feeling that some of his harshness is his way of letting these kids know that the music business is not a very kind one and you better have some real ego strength to survive. On the other hand, once he clearly picks his favorite(s), some of his critiques of the other contestants are artificial and incredibly transparent. "You sang the lyrics", "You didn't sing the lyrics", "You're an old soul", "I don't know who you are", "I don't understand (insert a genre) music" are reaches when he can't legitimately say anything negative about the performance itself. That becomes very tedious after awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by jmb
    Quote: DeGarmo said she suspected at the start of the show that she'd lost when producers told the girls, " 'Fantasia, you'll be singing Dreams, and Diana, you'll sing I Believe.' " Realizing they wouldn't have the winner sing I Believe (the first single to be released this summer) twice, DeGarmo put the pieces together. "I was sitting there going, 'Well, you just told me who won,' because they wanted I Believe to be the (final) song for the winner."

Thanks for posting the article!

The producers really blew it with their song selection for the two girls. I don't think that was a very nice way for Diana to find out who the winner was.
    If I were Diana I would rather of found out that I lost by the producers song choices for them than live in front of cameras with millions of people there to see her reaction. But thats just me.

Foster Your Inner Kacey BobDobolina's Avatar
    Every time I hear Diana say that, I want to point out what Pillbeam (or was it Fluff?) pointed out to me: that Ruben sang his winning song twice last year.

I think it must have been pillbeam who pointed that out as I was in the group that thought Diana singing I Believe meant she didn't win.

I think this is different from the previous season as Ruben and Clay were not in a situation where they would be releasing the same single depending on who won, so it didn't strike me as unusual that he sang FWOW or that Clay sang TITN.
    The fact that Diana sang I Believe and Tasia didn't, just made me think Tasia had won.
    Not that it really matters after a week
    "That's Numberwang!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112