+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What should be on Fantasia's CD?

Great thread. As I’ve said in other threads, I’m in my mid-twenties and grew up on contemporary R&B and neo soul. So from the moment Tasia hit the idol stage, I’ve been imagining what her album would sound like. I do think a delicate balance of what pop/AI listeners, neo soul/hip-hop listeners, and Clive/marketing-minded A&R execs want can be found. My wishlist:

1. Fantasia is not a throwback to the past. She’s the one singer on this show that is not trying to emulate singers of the past. If Simon wasn’t under the delusion that music died after the disco era, maybe he would’ve noticed this. They should throw one or two cover songs on there for familiarity’s sake and to appeal to the AI crowd, but limit it to two at most.

2. No more reaching rainbows ends, finding pots of gold. The lyrics to I Believe couldn’t possibly be more inane, cliched. The melody too. This is Fantasia, not frickin Whitney Houston. Quit watering down Tasia with power ballads, Clive.

3. Cut out the “yeahyeahs”. I understand this stems from her gospel roots, but it just irritates too many listeners and would sound terrible on CD. Probably the first thing an accomplished producer would ask of her.

4. Stay eccentric. Al Green, Prince, Erykah Badu, Outkast all found commercial success by being eccentric. So I say keep bobo-in, grubbin on chitlins, walking barefoot….just be Tasia!

5. Keep it natural. Tasia has such an earthy, spiritual tone that would lose its quality if overproduced. Keep it organic as opposed to the synthesized or booming beats that are in vogue. Alicia, Angie, India, Erykah have scored with this type of sound of late.

6. Be selective, but open to guest appearances. Only artists that compliment Tasia and inspire her to make better music. Lenny Kravitz, Bilal, Me’Shell Ndegeocello, and Outkast would be on my short list.

7. Hip-hop the bobo. A hip-hop track is essential for crossover appeal on hip-hop radio and in the clubs. And this girl already has a trademark dance step to boot! AI fans might not like it, but that’s what the skip button on your CD player is for . North Carolina’s Petey Pablo can drop a verse on Fantasia’s hip-hop anthem “Do The Bobo”. The hook is a natural: “North Curl-inah come on and raise up, do the bobo, twist around your hips like a helicopter”

8. Fantasia re-invents the remix. “I Believe” and “Dreams” were truly hideous. They will sell a ton of copies to AI fans, but radio will not accept these songs with their current arrangements. Remix these songs and make them sound less like a dramatic movie score, please.

Good luck Tasia. Make us proud!

Quote Originally Posted by addikted
    Great thread. As I’ve said in other threads, I’m in my mid-twenties and grew up on contemporary R&B and neo soul. So from the moment Tasia hit the idol stage, I’ve been imagining what her album would sound like. I do think a delicate balance of what pop/AI listeners, neo soul/hip-hop listeners, and Clive/marketing-minded A&R execs want can be found. My wishlist:

1. Fantasia is not a throwback to the past. She’s the one singer on this show that is not trying to emulate singers of the past. If Simon wasn’t under the delusion that music died after the disco era, maybe he would’ve noticed this. They should throw one or two cover songs on there for familiarity’s sake and to appeal to the AI crowd, but limit it to two at most.

2. No more reaching rainbows ends, finding pots of gold. The lyrics to I Believe couldn’t possibly be more inane, cliched. The melody too. This is Fantasia, not frickin Whitney Houston. Quit watering down Tasia with power ballads, Clive.

3. Cut out the “yeahyeahs”. I understand this stems from her gospel roots, but it just irritates too many listeners and would sound terrible on CD. Probably the first thing an accomplished producer would ask of her.

4. Stay eccentric. Al Green, Prince, Erykah Badu, Outkast all found commercial success by being eccentric. So I say keep bobo-in, grubbin on chitlins, walking barefoot….just be Tasia!

5. Keep it natural. Tasia has such an earthy, spiritual tone that would lose its quality if overproduced. Keep it organic as opposed to the synthesized or booming beats that are in vogue. Alicia, Angie, India, Erykah have scored with this type of sound of late.

6. Be selective, but open to guest appearances. Only artists that compliment Tasia and inspire her to make better music. Lenny Kravitz, Bilal, Me’Shell Ndegeocello, and Outkast would be on my short list.

7. Hip-hop the bobo. A hip-hop track is essential for crossover appeal on hip-hop radio and in the clubs. And this girl already has a trademark dance step to boot! AI fans might not like it, but that’s what the skip button on your CD player is for . North Carolina’s Petey Pablo can drop a verse on Fantasia’s hip-hop anthem “Do The Bobo”. The hook is a natural: “North Curl-inah come on and raise up, do the bobo, twist around your hips like a helicopter”

8. Fantasia re-invents the remix. “I Believe” and “Dreams” were truly hideous. They will sell a ton of copies to AI fans, but radio will not accept these songs with their current arrangements. Remix these songs and make them sound less like a dramatic movie score, please.

wow addikted, i can't believe your post! you said almost exactly what i was thinking! yep, a balance of neo-soul and AI pop might do it. okay, but i have to admit, the yeah yeah's don't bother me, and yes, i loved her "it's a miracle" (barry mannilow)...out of all of her performances, this is the one mp3 that i play at work and has me moving! i can listen to her "what are you doing the rest of your life" over and over again and cry! slap me....but yeah, they need to keep tasia, tasia and not have her do those sappy, dramatic, overproduced songs. my gosh, they just killed the past AI winners and runner ups with those. bleh. anyways, just wanted to say that i am so with you on the points you made! hope they hear you!

You kill me. Gawd. For some reason that reminded me of Ruben's Sweeet Alabama... and that reminded me of 8 mile where Eminem also does his cover of it... nasal hip hop vibe et. al.

Yeah, I like the remix idea. Although... the current dramatic score did result in one of her best performances on stage. Gospel still works for her... but screw that, have Kelis write her something catchy like her milkshake song..

Hmm... if she wanted to any songs she sang this season, I'd go for...

Signed Sealed Delivered
    I think she was fantastic on that one - both for Soul Week and the Top Three special...

I Heard it Through the Grapevine
    I liked it during Motown week...

The Way You Look Tonight
    The Elton John song she sang (in the audience)...

It's a Miracle
    Her version instead of the sweet and syrupy Barry Manilow original.

What Are You Doing The Rest Of Your Life?
    The song during Big Band week.

Knock on Wood

Greatest Love of All
    Top Three week
    2003-2008.

Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    Fool In Love has simply got to be on it.

That was my favourite of her performances this season.
    I loved that one, too!
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

wanna check you for ticks SecondBase's Avatar
    she needs to stick to that neo-soul sound that would make her excel. she's a fresh-sounding erykah badu.. throw a hip hop track (or three) on her album and she's got it made. who cares who american idol fans think? they don't make up the entire music industry and shouldn't be her target audience anyway
    Praise seitan!

DetroitRockCity
    [QUOTE=addikted]Great thread. As I’ve said in other threads, I’m in my mid-twenties and grew up on contemporary R&B and neo soul. So from the moment Tasia hit the idol stage, I’ve been imagining what her album would sound like. I do think a delicate balance of what pop/AI listeners, neo soul/hip-hop listeners, and Clive/marketing-minded A&R execs want can be found. My wishlist:

Disagree - I for one agree with the statement that she IS a throwback to the past. She should be the one getting the Joss Stone treatment.

Agree

Agree

Agree

Agree

Agree

Disagree - Drop the bo-bo like a bad habit. See the Macarena. Also don't go hip-hop. This is what killed Ruben's CD sales. It was totally unexpected from his fan perspective. His first album should have incorporated more smooth/traditional R&B to retain his fan base - both younger and older fans. He alienated the people who voted for him. He could have done some hip-hop on his second CD. Fantasia should have R&B, soul and even a classic rock edge. Genre's she has already introduced us to. Hip-hop is a NO-NO in my book. It gets dated too quickly.

Agree - we don't have the mention these unfortunate songs at all. This is the price she paid for going the AI route. Anyway - all artists have terrible songs in their catalog at one time or another.

So, I'll guess she'll start recording soon before the tour starts. Then they'll fix whatever needs fixing/remixing in the meantime. Oooh, I hope they do right by her.

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasiarules
    Disagree - Drop the bo-bo like a bad habit. See the Macarena. Also don't go hip-hop. This is what killed Ruben's CD sales. It was totally unexpected from his fan perspective. His first album should have incorporated more smooth/traditional R&B to retain his fan base - both younger and older fans. He alienated the people who voted for him. He could have done some hip-hop on his second CD. Fantasia should have R&B, soul and even a classic rock edge. Genre's she has already introduced us to. Hip-hop is a NO-NO in my book. It gets dated too quickly.
    Sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree with you there. As far as Ruben goes, he's doing pretty well with the R&B/hip-hop style, and the CD is probably better because of some of the more 'hip-hop' songs, such as Play Our Song and What Is Sexy. But thats off topic...

I think Fantasia would actually do well with hip-hop. I could see the 'BoBo' being a new dance craze. And, even if it didn't get off the ground, a song with a hip-hop vibe would definitely help diversify the CD.

What they should do is immediately put out a "Fantasia's Greatest American Idol Performances" cd and give her AT LEAST 6 MONTHS if not a year to put out a real album. If they rush it, it's going to be by giving her songs written for someone else that won't sound as good. A studio album with Summertime and What Are you doing the rest of your life would tide me over for a LONG time.

Quote Originally Posted by CourtneyLove
    What they should do is immediately put out a "Fantasia's Greatest American Idol Performances" cd and give her AT LEAST 6 MONTHS if not a year to put out a real album. If they rush it, it's going to be by giving her songs written for someone else that won't sound as good. A studio album with Summertime and What Are you doing the rest of your life would tide me over for a LONG time.
    Yeah that. I'd play that CD non-stop.

My two cents on Ruben and Fantasia: I think Ruben benefitted commercially by going hip-hop R-N-B, but artistically, he's subpar. The lyrics of his songs are questionable/slangy, and I don't see any of them lasting more than five years. The first album is no indication of someone's staying power, so if Rube switches it up, he could very well become the next Luther or Barry. Fantasia, on the other hand, is unique in my opinion. Given the right direction and lyrics, she could carve out a name for herself. To be compared to both Macy Gray and Aretha shows that she can cover more bases.
    "The difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make sense."
    Good luck to the Good Guys on the Inferno!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12