+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: What are you hoping to see in AI4?

1. Better Top 32.
    2. More male singers.
    3. Higher age limit.
    4. A new host.
    5. More guest judges like Quentin.

FORT Regular
    Well why not have style separations ... such as 4 Balladeers/Contemporary, 4 Rockers/Latin Pop, 4 Soul/ R & B and 4 Country/Other Alternative.

Send 1 home from each style group each week until you have 4 remaining and go from there.

Heck ... they could even set up the semi-finals that way, using say two different styles in each semi-final group.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepysluggo
    More guest judges like Quentin.
    I know some people really liked QT ... but I thought some of his comments were inappropriate, and came off ( to me) as competing with Simon to be the resident badarse. The show isn't about the judges, it's about the contestants and their performances.

They'd be better off having a contest and seating a panel of fan/viewer judges.

Quote Originally Posted by opiumchild
    1. 1st week-- no theme, any genre the contestants find comfortable to sing with...so as to showcase their strength and build their fanbase...then other themes aside from country...and no guest judges

2. more male voices ... less divas

3. no more cheesy AI final song...eeep

4. a better 32

5. a better voting system

6. remove paula and randy...keep simon for entertainment value

7. more contemporary themes...some songs are not known to me

8. cheesy vote offs should be avoided

9. constructive criticism

10. better sounding band or tweak the sound onstage...i can't hear the contestants well when they go live
    Opiumchild, your list ought to be mailed in to <i> American Idol</i> producers!

I do agree they should have a <b> CLASSIC ROCK WEEK</b>! However, it is VERY important that they keep the themes from other generations! One of the successes of the program is that it bonds generations of viewers. This mean that 16 year-old Suzy enjoys watching AI with 72 year-old Grandma Jones.

I enjoyed every theme they had this year and hope to see them returned! Of course, my favorite is <b> MOTOWN WEEK.</b> There's still about 500 songs they haven't done yet!

A Beatles or Rolling Stones Week would be great!

The TOP 32 must be talented - no gimmicks, please!

Both Paula and Randy are replaceable!

FORT Newbie
    If Trenyce is putting up an album when AI4 comes, I hope she'll be invited to perform on stage just like Tamyra, Kelly & co. I miss Trenyce!

Great suggestions everyone. I only have one to add.....

No more "Jasmines"! (don't take it personally, Jasmine fans)

What I mean by "Jasmines" are 16 year old karaoke queens who watch AI and maybe even have decent voices, sing a couple songs real well, and decide to try out for the show even though they have very little musical inclination. I was so turned off by Jasmine. IMHO from the start it appeared that this girl did not love music/singing, she just sang because she wanted to be a pop star.

I just have an awful feeling that there were tons of 16 year old girls who saw Jasmine on AI and thought "that could be me!" and now will be auditioning for AI4. That's the problem with this show having been around for 3 seasons now. The contestants have seen it and developed pipe dreams of becoming a pop star. My favorites have always been the less assuming contestants, who developed their musical skills not through karaoke. Examples: Ruben (sang with his band), LaToya (sang at weddings), Fantasia (sang at church). These were people who started singing for the love of music, not because they wanted to be pop stars. The opportunity just presented itself for them to appear on AI. So this ties in with the "raise the age limit" suggestion, but just had to get it off my chest!

Quote Originally Posted by addikted

what if i say "no more Diana's"-- teenies who scream out loud

or

"no more Fantasias"-- teenies who screeches with the yeah-yeahs

I'd like to see...

-- a mellow, mellifluous singer (no more Celine, Mariah types please... could use some of Dido's whispery cooing for a change)

-- more "funky" individuals ala JPL & Fantasia (I can understand why Simon called him the dark horse... he's definitely an interesting character)

-- someone with a strong fashion sense (aka Gwen Stefani)

-- someone with SKA tendencies (aka Gwen Stefani)

-- Madonna's second coming (this was one girl who knew how to rile people up.. and then sell herself to them)

-- a great dancer (we've yet to see real strong talent in this dep yet, have we? a real great dancer/choreographer is totally worth the price of admission)

-- sex kitten that's not a cliche (remember a scene from AI preliminary auditions... your typical CA blond model type; decent singer with kind of a generic voice ala Willa Ford (I know, you're like... who?? me too, me too )... emoted and was so stylized. Simon noted how affected she seemed. Man, there's no shortage of (cliched) eye candy.. but where's the real sex appeal? Where's the real heat?

-- everyone has to sing the same song one night, but each must dress it up (arrangement, accompaniment, etc. etc.) differently. It would be fun to see caberet/pop/big band, etc. versions of the same song. say... when it gets down to top 4 or top 3 or something...

-- pick one of your competitor's songs they've done and sing it

-- more of Ryan Seacrest (oh yeah baby )

-- no more of Hudson-esque broadway! (how does AI always manage to fan out all these broadway type belters ? Or maybe Hudson just totally scared me off with her scary eyes and gospel jaw...)

Problem is, most of these interesting individuals wouldn't want to be an "American Idol" anyway... rock is subversive, AI is total pop schmaltz. What to do what to do? Too bad I'm an alt girl at heart... but the format of AI is still cool in that it offers ordinary people an extraordinary opportunity; aren't they doing a hip hop version of AI ? I'd like to see some kind of rock AI, if possible...
    Last edited by divaexpatriate; 05-28-2004 at 12:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by addikted

What I mean by "Jasmines" are 16 year old karaoke queens who watch AI and maybe even have decent voices, sing a couple songs real well, and decide to try out for the show even though they have very little musical inclination. I was so turned off by Jasmine. IMHO from the start it appeared that this girl did not love music/singing, she just sang because she wanted to be a pop star.

I just have an awful feeling that there were tons of 16 year old girls who saw Jasmine on AI and thought "that could be me!" and now will be auditioning for AI4. That's the problem with this show having been around for 3 seasons now. The contestants have seen it and developed pipe dreams of becoming a pop star. My favorites have always been the less assuming contestants, who developed their musical skills not through karaoke. Examples: Ruben (sang with his band), LaToya (sang at weddings), Fantasia (sang at church). These were people who started singing for the love of music, not because they wanted to be pop stars. The opportunity just presented itself for them to appear on AI. So this ties in with the "raise the age limit" suggestion, but just had to get it off my chest!

Um.. I'm sure all of them dreamed of being singers/pop stars. Was Latoya content simply singing at weddings? Did Fantasia ever fancy living a different kind of life and being able to give Zion everything that she needed ? None of that detracts from their love of singing... but I don't see any difference between Jazzy and the rest of'em.

Quote Originally Posted by divaexpatriate
    Um.. I'm sure all of them dreamed of being singers/pop stars. Was Latoya content simply singing at weddings? Did Fantasia ever fancy living a different kind of life and being able to give Zion everything that she needed ? None of that detracts from their love of singing... but I don't see any difference between Jazzy and the rest of'em.
    Perhaps I should have worded it differently. Obviously, they all want to be pop stars. What I am turned off by is these kids who develop their music skills by singing karaoke and think because this show exists, they can now be pop stars. Jasmine being the prime example. IMO she developed her singing skills with the intention of appearing on a talent competition and winning a recording contract. That to me, was unattractive.

I just prefer contestants who develop their musical roots through singing with a band, at church, anywhere but karaoke. Those who have a wider breadth of musical roots have more to offer to the competition IMHO. So I just hope they find more people who aren't singing because they've seen this show and from watching it, have pipe dreams of being a pop star. Just personal preference, I guess.

+ Reply to Thread