+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: What are you hoping to see in AI4?

I don't so many "procedural" problems with the running of the show.. nor do I have many problems with the Judges or Seacrest (ok, Paula is mildly annoying.. especially the way she claps!) ..

My biggest problems is the way the Judges determine the winner while the final 32 is going on.. It started a little bit with Kelly, and then went waaaay overboard with Reuben and Fantasia. I am not saying that either one of them didn't deserve to win, but the judges were pimping them all season long. I don't think Reuben EVER receive one negative comment... and it blew me how:

Simon would tell people that they always sing the same songs, that they need more variety, need to take more risks.. and then there is Reuben, singing the same f--king songs over and over.

Then Simon tells Josh (and others along the way) that they need to "lose a few pounds" -- then there is Reuben.. 400lbs..one foot in the grave.. who can't make it through a song without sweating his ass off.. But never a comment from Simon there?

It just seems that they pick out their favorite early on..and they could never do any wrong. It is so annoying.

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolls
    Ooh--raising the age limit is a good idea! Perhaps make it 18-29 as opposed to 16-24. That way, you eliminate the age comments.

FORT Regular
    A better final 12. If these were the best out of 70,000, then some of the choices were just poor. We all know that part of this is a popularity contest which I would not mind if the people were all good. A better final 12 would draw more interest and would cause less controversy when people are voted out. This is how this could be done:

Change the voting system - Instead of having the public solely pick 9 out of the top 12, have five judges for the round of 32, each of them get a vote equal to 10% (50% total) and the other 50% comes from the public. This way the public still is involved but the judges are also involved in helping out more talented performers.

Why five judges? We need more diversity. We know what Randy likes (Whitney and Mariah), we know what Paula like (anyone who dresses well), and we know what Simon likes (someone who does not sound like a karaoke or a Broadway singer). While I may have generalized their characterizations, adding additional judges in the preliminary round might bring out some new talent. Of course, with the final 12, I would just leave Randy, Paula, and Simon.

When we get to the final 12, each judge should focus on one aspect of the performance: Paula could do style, Randy could cover the arrangement, and Simon could cover the actual singing. Maybe the three categories could be switched from week to week.

Last but not least. I thought AI3 was overexposed this year. There were far too many shows, specials, documentaries, what have you, to the point where I was tired of it. Also the actual shows were too long. Yes I know it's a gold mine but look at what happened to "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" when it expanded to just about every nite. Sometimes less is MORE and in this case it applies.

Quote Originally Posted by theoslady
    I thought the Roman brothers were talented. They just weren't able to deal with the pressure of performing for a bigger audience, for whatever reason.
    I thought they did well in their initial audition, but like you said, some people just are not meant to perform in front of an audience. Their semi-final performances were horrid, which was a shame. I think the judges do a good job selecting talent to semi-finals, but even they can not predict how live audience and sheer pressure will affect these people.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

We need more folk type singers--people who can tell stories about songs.

Honorary Fraggle
    Ok, here goes:

1) If theres going to be a guest judge, make it a genre judge. I mean, having Gloria Estefan for a judge isn't too bad, but making them sing her songs? Terrible. Quentin Tarantino as a guest judge was perfect. His background lent itself to a great week, and he actually knew the contestants from (gasp) watching the show.

2) Fix the voting! One call per household, one text message per phone. Granted, they won't have another 65 million vote night, but it would be a hell of alot more fair.

3) Alot of people have said rock night, and I don't completely agree. Just the thought of John Stevens trying that on for size gives me the creeps. However, they should give a few contestants a chance if their voices leana little to the rock side. Anyone who watched World Idol knows that Peter Evrard and Kurt Nilssen (sp) had incredible voices. But stick those two into "Gloria Estefan" night, and they're finished.

4) Broader theme nights. Forcing a singer like JH, LL, or Bobo into singing country isn't fair. And neither is forcing a cat like John Stevens to sing outside of his genre. If you're trying to get the singers to appeal to a wider audience, let them decide. Trust me, America will get tired of JPL jumping around the stage signing cheezy Elvis songs soon enough.

5) Find an audience and stick to it. I love AI but after watching American Juniors I think they're aiming for the same demographic. Those corny Ford/ Coke/ Subway videos are sickening. I swear, during some of the earlier ones I could see "I'm a commercial whore" stamped on LaToya's head. It seemed so beneath her and many of the other contestants to do those promos and I think they should go. I come to work every Wednesday and Thursday talking about AI with other adults and we agree that those spots must be for the kids.

Ok, well I'm pretty sure thats about all.

wanna check you for ticks SecondBase's Avatar
    you know, i think this season was great. the top 32 could have been better, but i really think they're breaking down the "image" barrier. not completely, but it's much better than season one and two (ryan starr, nikki, carmen, kim caldwell? bleh!).

i like the themes, bar latin night, because it shows off the versatility of an artist. people just get mad when their favorite isn't great and can't pull off a certain number. i also like all of the judges. they add their own flavor to the show and different, necessary criticism.

what i want to see is:

-less bitching about how the previous seasons were so much better
    -the age limit raised to 18.
    -paula not make another horrible choice in the wildcard round
    -more brutal honesty from the judges (call it favoritism... they know what they're talking about!)
    -the new season start before janury, haha
    Praise seitan!

Gotta Love that Scout scooberoo's Avatar
    I think now that there isn't only a piano in the top 32 rounds, we got better performers this season. Something last season missed out on. The Balladers all made it through. Now, I want them to stick to the band.

I want them to cut the screentime thing. People who aren't very good make it to the top 12 for that. Also don't put through people for ratings, like the Roman brothers. Don't put people through because you liked their original audition (Camile, Lisa W.).
    Who I'm rooting for: Survivor: Vanuatu - Scout Cloud Lee, Leann Slaby, Lea Masters, Eliza Orlins, Twila Tanner, and Lisa Keiffer.

For AI 4, I'd like:
    1) To see more of the talent (LaToya) and less of the flash (William Hung) during the audition process
    2) More male singers...still a little miffed about the all-female four. In the words of Diana, come on ya'll...I like a little baritone in the group medleys
    3) For Paula to be at more of the auditions, as she had to skip most for some medical reason
    4) To have Clay at the actual finale!
    "The difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make sense."
    Good luck to the Good Guys on the Inferno!

Quote Originally Posted by mercedesfan
    Ok, here goes:

1) If theres going to be a guest judge, make it a genre judge. I mean, having Gloria Estefan for a judge isn't too bad, but making them sing her songs? Terrible. Quentin Tarantino as a guest judge was perfect. His background lent itself to a great week, and he actually knew the contestants from (gasp) watching the show.

2) Fix the voting! One call per household, one text message per phone. Granted, they won't have another 65 million vote night, but it would be a hell of alot more fair.

3) Alot of people have said rock night, and I don't completely agree. Just the thought of John Stevens trying that on for size gives me the creeps. However, they should give a few contestants a chance if their voices leana little to the rock side. Anyone who watched World Idol knows that Peter Evrard and Kurt Nilssen (sp) had incredible voices. But stick those two into "Gloria Estefan" night, and they're finished.

4) Broader theme nights. Forcing a singer like JH, LL, or Bobo into singing country isn't fair. And neither is forcing a cat like John Stevens to sing outside of his genre. If you're trying to get the singers to appeal to a wider audience, let them decide. Trust me, America will get tired of JPL jumping around the stage signing cheezy Elvis songs soon enough.

5) Find an audience and stick to it. I love AI but after watching American Juniors I think they're aiming for the same demographic. Those corny Ford/ Coke/ Subway videos are sickening. I swear, during some of the earlier ones I could see "I'm a commercial whore" stamped on LaToya's head. It seemed so beneath her and many of the other contestants to do those promos and I think they should go. I come to work every Wednesday and Thursday talking about AI with other adults and we agree that those spots must be for the kids.

Ok, well I'm pretty sure thats about all.
    I agree. Bring back Tarantino.
    Best guest judge EVER!
    "The difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make sense."
    Good luck to the Good Guys on the Inferno!

+ Reply to Thread