+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Top 3: AI3 vs AI2

=combatcutieAnd contrary to popular belief, not all Clay fans were psychotic and cried conspiracy. I was happy for Ruben when he won because they were both very talented men who would go far. And I knew that both Clay and Kim were happy for him and would be ashamed of the way some of their frans acted.

I'm glad to know that.

Foster Your Inner Kacey BobDobolina's Avatar
    I know I'm in the minority, but I thought last year was pretty boring. Perhaps, I just don't like male singers as much. Clay occasionally did it for me, but his over-enunciation always took me out of the song for some reason. Ruben was always likeable and in tune, but I never got excited about his performances. K-Lo wasn't half bad, but she wouldn't have survived for long this year. I did enjoy several of Trenyce's performances, but she too would have probably left in the first half of this year.

Given that the numbers of votes -- more people voted in a lot of the earlier rounds than did in last years finale -- taxed the flaws in the voting system to the point that results were often not representative of the overall population's preferences, I think that comparing top 3 finalists isn't really fair or all that informative. Personally, I think if you take the group of Fantasia, Latoya, Jennifer and Diana and compare them to any possible group of four you could assemble, season 3 would win hands down.

btw, on a side note, I still think Kelly could take any single performer that's been on AI. I must admit, though, that, due to her uniqueness, Fantasia will eventually be shown as the bigger find.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by BobDobolina
    I know I'm in the minority, but I thought last year was pretty boring. Perhaps, I just don't like male singers as much. Clay occasionally did it for me, but his over-enunciation always took me out of the song for some reason. Ruben was always likeable and in tune, but I never got excited about his performances. K-Lo wasn't half bad, but she wouldn't have survived for long this year. I did enjoy several of Trenyce's performances, but she too would have probably left in the first half of this year.

Given that the numbers of votes -- more people voted in a lot of the earlier rounds than did in last years finale -- taxed the flaws in the voting system to the point that results were often not representative of the overall population's preferences, I think that comparing top 3 finalists isn't really fair or all that informative. Personally, I think if you take the group of Fantasia, Latoya, Jennifer and Diana and compare them to any possible group of four you could assemble, season 3 would win hands down.

btw, on a side note, I still think Kelly could take any single performer that's been on AI. I must admit, though, that, due to her uniqueness, Fantasia will eventually be shown as the bigger find.
    Bobdob is right in some instances, the three divas were amazing and would have given K-Lo Clay and Reuben a run for their money, BUT, as it was Jasmine and Diana are no Clay and K-Lo. Last year was vocally flawless and people truely voted mostly for talent. I feel the show was also better produced to showcase the voices. This year was a total failure. The songs sung were retched. We heard too much broadway, though I love it, and very little variety. All the contestants chose safe songs week after week and really were not trying to win, but were too Familyish or something. K-Lo, Clay and Reuben all wanted to win and you could taste it. They were friends, but with age comes ambition and it was just more tence and more interesting. This year was frought with poor singing, poor song choice, and voting according to taste as opposed to talent. This year had some amazing talent, but nothing except maybe Elton John Night, made it interesting. Gloria Estfan night should have been Latin Night, & Motown should have been much later in the competition. Disco should have been earlier. Why not have a ROCK night??? Last year was just so much better put together and the cotestants really benefitted. George should never be made to sing Gloria and Jasmine should never try as well. I think this seasons Top 32 was the most interesting part of the show.

FORT Newbie
    The top three of AI2 is far superior to those in AI3.

In fact, the entire AI2 season was much more enjoyable to experience as a viewer and IMO last year's finale was fantastic. I will never understand why the judges keep saying AI3 has had the most talent of all three seasons. Were they listening to the same voices I was? All I can think of is they must be trying to convince themselves (and us) that they chose the best 32 from the get go. They didn't and that's why AI3 has been a total yawn.

The top 3 on AI2 was superior than AI3. I compared the tape from last years top 3 to this years and my goodness, Ru, Clay and Kim sounded like pros compared to this years. Their voices were richer and had more depth I'm taken aback at how Kimberley sounds...her voice was sultry & clear as a bell. She has such a deep rich voice but not masculine deep like Jennifer Hudson. In fact the entire AI2 show was more exciting and had singers who CAME THROUGH when they needed. As for vocals you can also count Trenyce, Ricky and yes, Josh Gracin (when he was on point). The excitement was unparralleled. The audience were practically out of control with excitement last year. The plethora of signs..everywhere especially on finale night. Last night I noticed that everyone was clapping like it was the Academy Awards or something. :rolleyes

From a technical/production standpoint AI2 was stellar because it was tight, no extra "specials", the performances were on point and the contestants approached the competition very professionally. The only bad thing about last year was that there was not as much live music as this years and the pimping of Ruben. (This year, the pimping of Fantasia, when will they stop with their over biasness?)

There's no LaToyaa London in the finals so I'm apathetic. It's anticlimactic. But I think Fantasia deserves the record deal. Now will the R&B and Hip Hop fans "buy" into her sound? That's a whole other thread.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Kariann1
    I also agree that AI2 "Top Three" was much better than AI3. Actually, I prefer the whole season of AI2. There has been a let down this year, for me.

While, I don't think Fantasia is the best singer--I hope she wins so Diana won't have TO PUT UP WITH ANY MORE CRITICISM! She is a tough little cookie, but enough is enough. So, in this way, I do care who wins. Fantasia's voice is bound to sound better in the recording studio, so she might have a hit CD. My best to both!

I am looking forward to seeing the other contestants tonight. For that reason, it should be a good show!
    "Hey Karian whats your game now, can anybody play?" Sorry! couldn't help myself
    I agree with the top 3 of AI2. Although I do think Fantasia IS the best from AI3. Diana is great too. I wish her well!
    Cute baby by the way..

AI2 without a doubt. AI3 fails in comparison....

FORT Regular
    AI2 was better for me. I love Clays voice so I would look forward to hearing him sing every week. You could really tell that he knew Ruben was his main competition so watching the two of them battle it out was great to watch. I loved Ruben too and was happy for him that he won. I also enjoyed watching Kimberly Locke evolve as a performer and her singing got better each week. Watching AI3 I have not really felt the excitment, and I really don't get the whole Fantasia thing, sorry just don't.

I enjoy FORTplay JayPea Patches's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glamgirl4clay
    The top 3 on AI2 was superior than AI3. I compared the tape from last year's top 3 to this years and my goodness, Ru, Clay and Kim sounded like pros compared to this years. Their voices were richer and had more depth I'm taken aback at how Kimberley sounds ... her voice was sultry & clear as a bell. She has such a deep rich voice but not masculine deep like Jennifer Hudson.

In fact the entire AI2 show was more exciting and had singers who CAME THROUGH when they needed. As for vocals you can also count Trenyce, Ricky and yes, Josh Gracin (when he was on point). The excitement was unparalleled. The audience were practically out of control with excitement last year. The plethora of signs...everywhere especially on finale night. Last night I noticed that everyone was clapping like it was the Academy Awards or something. :rolleyes
    Great post!!! I agree that the Top 3 were weak this year as well. I'll give my props to Fantasia, as she is a deserving champ, but I still believe that Latoya was the best singer out of the entire group of finalists. I liked Diana as well, but still, she was occasionally inconsistent, and Jasmine just didn't have the overall vocal ability/versatility to go any further. As mentioned, the Top 6 from last year were all very polished and capable compared to this year's in general. I wouldn't say this year's was dull, but it just didn't quite generate the energy for me as much as I would have liked. Now if Latoya had been in the final two with Fantasia, then ... :rolleyes
    "An apple a day may keep the doctor at bay" ... but on top of that, an Apple™ consumer won't get any viruses either!!!

FORT Newbie
    The top three of AI3, while undoubtably talented, lack the chemistry and charisma of AI2's final three. Watching Clay, Kimberley, and Ruben on stage together was just amazing! I miss them !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast