+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031323334 LastLast

Thread: Paula Abdul - Judge

Re: Paula Abdul - Judge

I can totally understand her anger. Ryan just negotiated for 15 million a year and they want to only pay her @$3 mil? It doesn't seem fair at all.
    I agree dags; it's not fair. I can't tell you how many comments I've seen on other sites berating Paula for walking away from the show when the economy is in the gutter (but "bouncing back!") and people are losing their homes. I don't understand that. One thing has very little to do with another.

I think it's disgusting that any of them are paid what they are for the work that they do. But that isn't the point. The industry standard is what the industry standard is, and I do not see the logic in saying someone should sit down and be taken advantage of, and accept significantly unequal pay for equal work just because there are people on the street. If Paula is secure enough in her finances and her future to walk away from this deal, then I will high five her for it.

If she goes around whining in the future talking about she's broke or whatever I won't feel sorry for her, no, but I'm not going to criticize her for recognizing a shoddy deal as a shoddy deal and walking away from the table.

Nigel Lythgoe has said he's still interested in poaching her for SYTYCD guest spots. That would keep up her visibility, and be more of a natural fit for her. Although I don't know if the world can take a Mary Murphy-Paula Abdul tornado. I can't take Mary Murphy by herself.

I will miss Paula and I think AI has made a big mistake They're going to need one hell of a singer to save next season and keep the viewers from focusing on the void that Paula left.

It'll be rough watching cruel (Simon), mean (Kara), mostly-mean (Randy) every week! Paula made the insults tolerable.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by MotherSister;3640521;
    My thoughts exactly. Actually my thoughts were, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" but I'm gonna latch on to this anyway. Paula didn't make the show for me, just like Simon doesn't make the show for me, but it will be fundamentally different without her. I don't like that prospect. AI is not AI without dippy Paula stumbling around metaphors and telling everyone they look nice.

And Kara returning is no balm for the wound, let me just say.
    I couldn't agree more, especially about the last part. An AI show thread wouldn't be an AI show thread without rampant speculation as to the contents of Paula's coke cup. Which of the remaining judges is going to tell the Megan (no) Joy Corkreys of the world that they are beautiful girls, instead of that the song they just sang sent the entire canine population of North America running from their tv rooms? I think I'm even going to miss the awkward sexual tension between Simon and Paula (and then the big brother/little sister vibe that they had going this season).

I've been trying to find Simon's reaction all day and I haven't seen it.

Foster Your Inner Kacey BobDobolina's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MotherSister;3642079;
    I think it's disgusting that any of them are paid what they are for the work that they do. But that isn't the point. The industry standard is what the industry standard is, and I do not see the logic in saying someone should sit down and be taken advantage of, and accept significantly unequal pay for equal work just because there are people on the street.
    That's a nice sentiment, but no jobs in that pay range have anything to do with the amount of work you do. It's about how much leverage you have when it's time to negotiate. If it was up to the employers, I'm sure they would love to pay each of the judges an equal $100. They want to pay each of them as little as they can get away with and still get what they want from in the future. I really don't think there's any discrimination going on per se. She's just mad because she thinks she has more leverage than they thought she had. And, I don't think that has anything to do with being a woman. It's probably because of her history of problems more than anything.

I can somewhat understand the argument that people are making that they need balance on the judging panel, but to be honest, I think you guys are way overestimating the value of her comments. The problem with Paula's version of positive comments is that it was practically guaranteed and became worthless back in season one. You can see it on the contestant's faces. The show nearly no relief or elation when she trots out yet another content-free, fairytale comment after they get negative comments from the other judges. They just put on a polite smile to temporarily mask their disappointment. They know that they would have got something positive out of her regardless of how well they performed.

While I think that the quality of the judging will now increase, this move does make me a bit worried about the show. It's unlikely they'll find someone as unique and exciting as Adam this coming year, so people are going to be inclined to feel that the quality of the show is decreasing. Unfortunately, now they can cite more than one reason for that decline, whether the argument is valid or not.

Foster Your Inner Kacey BobDobolina's Avatar

Here's an interesting comparison. Two seasons ago, Australian idol added a fourth judge. While their newest judge was actually really funny -- he was a radio shock jock type -- after one season, they, like AI, decided that four judges was too many. But, unlike us, they decided NOT to get rid of their most Paula-like judge, a lady named Marcia Hines, who, like Paula, was an singer from the early 80's; this lady actually gave nice comments that were even more non-sensical than Paula's. Instead, they got rid of their most controversial judge, Mark Holden, who I'd compare to Kara more than anyone. The show completely tanked the next year. They even had to compress the performances and results to a single night. Hell, they've even now delayed the next season by six months from it's traditional start date as they figure out what to do.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this, but I thought it was an interesting parallel. I think we have a better chance of success though. They axed one of their best judges, IMO, and left the overly positive judge intact, while we're doing something closer to the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by BobDobolina;3642254;
    That's a nice sentiment, but no jobs in that pay range have anything to do with the amount of work you do. It's about how much leverage you have when it's time to negotiate. If it was up to the employers, I'm sure they would love to pay each of the judges an equal $100. They want to pay each of them as little as they can get away with and still get what they want from in the future. I really don't think there's any discrimination going on per se. She's just mad because she thinks she has more leverage than they thought she had. And, I don't think that has anything to do with being a woman. It's probably because of her history of problems more than anything.
    I didn't say anything about Paula's being a woman. Paula and Ryan's jobs on the show are pretty similar, and their reputations as personalities are also pretty similar, so it's fair for her to expect a salary in a range similar to his. Ryan brought whatever he had to the negotiating table to work out his deal, and I'm sure Paula and her people did the same. It didn't work out for her. But she shouldn't be expected to swallow a sorry deal just because it's all they offered, whether three million dollars is a whole lot of money or not.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MotherSister;3642391;
    ... Paula and Ryan's jobs on the show are pretty similar, and their reputations as personalities are also pretty similar, so it's fair for her to expect a salary in a range similar to his...
    I have a different view of the Paula / Ryan comparison. I don't see their work as similar at all. Paula sits at the judges table and offers pithy (hopefully) comments on the songs.

Ryan, on the other hand, pretty much runs the show on-air. LIVE! (Which is the scariest four-letter word in television.) If someone is in the wrong place, or the wrong video package goes up, or the judges start fighting, or the director changes the order of the show during the broadcast, or the set collapses - it's his job to keep his cool and keep the show moving forward. And he did all of that rather smoothly this past year. Oh, he has his flaws, sure. (He's no Cat Deeley.) But herding those cats through 2 hours (or more) of live TV every week is no small feat.

HOWEVER, (here's the part where I pretty much agree with you), if Ryan gets a 300% raise (with no additional responsibilities) then it does not seem unreasonable for another member of the same successful team to ask for a similar percentage increase. Not for the same amount (their jobs are different), but a proportional increase.

Paula was offered 30% (we hear). Are you kidding me?!?! If they can triple Ryan's $5 mil, why can't they at least double Paula's $2 mil?

It seems obvious to me that either they think they can get her cheaper, or they really don't want her back. I would not be surprised if it was the latter. Paula has been a huge pain to the producers - not showing up for auditions, screwing around backstage and being late to set, and of course critiquing songs that had not yet been sung (ahem!) - just to site a few examples. They may actually be relieved to be rid of her.

You know you're right TopCatDC. I tend to reduce everything to "TV personality jobs," but they do have different responsibilities. Ryan does get a script and a teleprompter though, and no one else has that luxury!

So what I'm saying is I pretty much agree with your entire post.

FORT Fanatic

another thing to consider is that ryan seacrest is known as "the hardest working man in hollywood" or something to that effect. tv commentator, host, radio show host, and whatever else he does. AI helped him to become a monster in hollywood and they don't want to lose him so they'll pay him. he can really forget his AI gig and concentrate on the other things he does. but if AI gonna pay him the big $$$ to continue hosting, deal with overdramatic family and friends during the tryouts, dealing with all the name callings and unnecessary bashes when he prolongs and dismissed those being rejected or sent home so be it.

i think ryan does way more than what paula & randy does altogether. randy repeats the same all yo-yo dawg blah blah and paula thinks everyones beautiful. simon at least thinks...use the gray fitted top, stares, which contestant he'll diss and praise, how can he rile the audience (i'm being sarcastic btw).

paula thinks she's worth more or equal to ryan. i don't think so. if pay is based on performance well i'll pay ryan more than paula any given day. at least ryan follows the script and can read and articulate properly unlike paula who pretty much blabbers and is incoherent.

my 2 cents.
    not my frickin fault. fine, my fault, i always get blamed anyways.

Premium Member

Ahh, to me AI just lost kinda of that yin yang with Paula and Simon that I so enjoyed. How he would always try to get her upset and then watching her lose it. It won't be the same without the Paula crazy. Kara is useless IMO.

+ Reply to Thread