+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1819202122232425262728293031323334 LastLast

Thread: Paula Abdul - Judge

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: Paula Abdul - Judge

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3620814;
    It's kind of amazing, isn't it? We're in such a bad economy and she's concerned because someone may be making more more millions than she? Unbelievable!
    It's always killed me when I hear of "stars" in salary disputes because someone may be getting more, and they threaten to quit the show unless they get equal pay or at least a bigger raise. Sometimes I hope they do walk and become a washed up has been. $5 more an hour for us working, normal folk would seem like a lot for a raise (at least for someone like me who works a minimum wage job) I think it's crazy even Seacrest is getting that much money, let alone Paula being a big baby. Who does she think she is? I think it'll be fine until Simon leaves. He's the real one on this show that I think would take viewership down even more. It's time like this Randy becomes my favorite. Not a peep out of him

But like most people, I think this is all just big media hoopla. She'll be back. It'll be like some nail biting down to the wire last second deal the way the media and Paula's reps will put it, but Paula isn't going anywhere.

FORT Fogey

So I get home from seeing our Season Eight Idols Live, and what pops up on Twitter - a message from Paula:
    With sadness in my heart, I’ve decided not to return to #IDOL. I’ll miss nurturing all the new talent, but most of all..Cont’d…
    I’ll miss nurturing all the new talent,but most of all being a part of a show that I helped from day1become an international phenomenon.
    What I want to say most, is how much I appreciate the undying support and enormous love that you have showered upon me
    It truly has been breathtaking, especially over the past month
    I do without any doubt have the BEST fans in the entire world and I love you all
    My take:

Paula is playing hard ball and calling out her Flying Monkeys to pepper 19E with tweets and panicky e-mails. If she was really gone, there would be a press release from 19E to that effect. This is Paula's own little preemptive strike.

Or, she's gone.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3638649;
    So I get home from seeing our Season Eight Idols Live, and what pops up on Twitter - a message from Paula:

My take:

Paula is playing hard ball and calling out her Flying Monkeys to pepper 19E with tweets and panicky e-mails. If she was really gone, there would be a press release from 19E to that effect. This is Paula's own little preemptive strike.

Or, she's gone.
    Please!!! Say it ain't so, Paula!!! We'll miss you!!

My take:

Or, she's gone.
    I believe your theory #1. Or, like many speculated last year when they added Kara, she never intended to be a part of season 9 (or the producers were going to can her) and this whole salary dispute is a way to save face and not make it look like she's quitting/being fired. Of course the theory of AI being behind it would come out, so she likely just wants to move on. If this is true. My recent issue of TV Guide said she was inking a deal, but maybe they meant she was "close" to signing a new contract and nothing was going to happen. When do the auditions for AI9 start? That'll be telling right there.

Hey, maybe she can hop over to ABC and DWTS and they can fire CA. She can have a British judge to feud with, another judge more entertaining than Randy, no feuds with any of the pros, and I think she'd be far more tolerable than CA. Or maybe she'll end up as a contestant. Good luck to Paula in whatever she decides to do. If in fact this isn't complete BS.

ETA: The LA Times, Fox News, New York Times, and USA Today are reported that she's gone, though no evidence except her Twitter message. I'm guessing it'll be confirmed tomorrow officially. She probably has something else in the works to be leaving. I just can't see Paula walking away from the show for nothing. If Simon leaves after this season, it won't be much of a judging panel
    Last edited by karalott; 08-05-2009 at 01:37 AM.

My take:

Or, she's gone.
    Here's your response.

LOS ANGELES — If Paula Abdul's abrupt Twitter announcement that she's quitting "American Idol" is a contract negotiating ploy, it's a spectacular one.

If not, she's potentially blown a hole in TV's top-rated show — and rejected an eight-figure deal that represented a 30 percent raise, according to a person familiar with the talks. The person, lacking authority to speak publicly, asked not to be identified.

Abdul dropped her online bombshell Tuesday evening, right before season-nine auditions begin Friday in Denver. That has the whiff of a pressure tactic on Abdul's part, although boycotting the early auditions that skip from city to city might have been a less dramatic way to negotiate.

Her tweets, however, seemed to have an air of finality.

"With sadness in my heart, I've decided not to return" to Fox's singing contest, Abdul said on her Twitter account. "I'll miss nurturing all the new talent, but most of all being a part of a show that I helped from day 1 become an international phenomenon."

There was a sense of closure, too, in a statement from Fox and producers FremantleMedia North America and 19 Entertainment.

The companies said Abdul was "an important part of the 'American Idol' family over the last eight seasons and we are saddened that she has decided not to return to the show."

They said she was "a tremendous talent" and wished her the best.

Abdul's banter and bickering with acerbic fellow judge Simon Cowell was as regular an "Idol" fixture as off-key contestants. So was her shimmying behind the judges' table when contestants sang uptempo songs.

Earlier this year, Fox entertainment president Kevin Reilly called Abdul "an integral part of the show."

Her announcement came the day Fox after said that Kara DioGuardi would return for a second season on the "American Idol" judging panel.

The addition of Grammy-nominated songwriter DioGuardi last year raised questions about Abdul's future on the show, which was based on the British series "Pop Idol."

Cowell, DioGuardi and Randy Jackson are signed through season nine. Ryan Seacrest just agreed to a new deal, reportedly worth $45 million, that keeps him on as "Idol" host through 2012 and provides the opportunity for new entertainment ventures.

Despite a decline in its ratings, "American Idol" remains the No. 1-rated show and a money machine for Fox, its producers and for the record labels and singers like Carrie Underwood that have benefited from its star-making power. Removing any part of a familiar and winning TV formula can be risky and makes the show's future an open question.

In July, Abdul told The Associated Press that she had been invited to stay with "Idol" as long as the show lasted and that she was optimistic that she'd be able to negotiate a new contract.

But the 47-year-old singer-dancer said the invitation to come back was subject to agreement on the details of a new deal.

Abdul began working with a new manager, David Sonenberg, in recent weeks, and he said last month that prospects for a deal looked dim.

"What I want to say most, is how much I appreciate the undying support and enormous love that you have showered upon me," Abdul said to followers on Twitter in making her announcement.

A onetime-Los Angeles Lakers cheerleader, Abdul became an award-winning choreographer and singer, didn't indicate her post-"Idol" career plans in her tweet.

DioGuardi didn't slip smoothly into her new job. She endured eye rolls from Cowell over her comments and criticism of her judging abilities and long-winded, earnest style from viewers. She admitted to suffering nerves and worrying about fitting in.

But DioGuardi provided one of the season's highlights: Her feud with Katrina "Bikini Girl" Darrell during the audition rounds, when the judge — a talented singer in her own right — told the scantily clad wannabe to bring a stripper pole next time.

Abdul, whom contestants regularly lauded for being warm and supportive, was unlikely to make such a cutting remark.

But she brought her own measure of interest to "Idol." She appeared on camera with several maladies, including a manicure-induced infection and injuries sustained tripping over her dog. Abdul could be meandering in her remarks and was at times inordinately giggly.

In 2005, an ex-contestant claimed he and Abdul had an affair in 2003, which Abdul denied. Fox, which said it investigated the man's claims, stood by her.

"American Idol" starts its ninth season in January.
    Newsvine - Fox says Paula Abdul quitting 'American Idol'

It was fun while it lasted, but really its not like anyone takes her seriously on the show anyway. Even idiot Kara's advise seems more relevant, and Kara is a dumb@ss.

Can Randy go next? PLEASE!

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

This makes me sad. I love Paula and don't want her to go.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;3639069;
    This makes me sad. I love Paula and don't want her to go.
    Me too dagwood. I'd rather see Randy go and Kara not come back. She will be missed, by me at least
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

FORT Fogey

Yup - I was wrong. She's gone. Entertainment Weekly has an article with the Fox press release here.

The article also says that she gave notice to the producers before she twittered (me - wrong again!).

Now here's something interesting - it says she turned down a 30% raise. 30%?? Ryan just got a 300% raise! And Ryan made more than Paula to begin with. If that was the offer on the table, no wonder she walked. They could have easily doubled her salary - and she still would have made less than every other judge at the table (except Kara).

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3639150;
    Yup - I was wrong. She's gone. Entertainment Weekly has an article with the Fox press release here.

The article also says that she gave notice to the producers before she twittered (me - wrong again!).

Now here's something interesting - it says she turned down a 30% raise. 30%?? Ryan just got a 300% raise! And Ryan made more than Paula to begin with. If that was the offer on the table, no wonder she walked. They could have easily doubled her salary - and she still would have made less than every other judge at the table (except Kara).
    I can understand Simon being the highest paid judge, but what the heck does Randy add that makes him earn more than Paula? If anything he's just a snooze fest, and Kara sticks out like a sore thumb. Sometimes messing with a formula 9 seasons in isn't always the smartest thing. I doubt it'll impact Idol's ratings too much, but the ratings have seemed to gone down each year. I don't really think any of the judges really add anything of value. Like other competition reality shows, I kind of think Idol is a shell of what it used to be. I remember Nigel mentioning he'd take Paula as a guest on SYTYCD and didn't think it'd be right if she didn't return to Idol. Since Dance is also airing this fall, maybe that'll be her next thing, judging that show.
    Last edited by karalott; 08-05-2009 at 10:19 AM.

+ Reply to Thread