+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425262728293031323334 LastLast

Thread: Paula Abdul - Judge

Re: Paula Abdul - Judge

I have to say that Paula rocked it last night with several relevant, intelligible, amusing, and memorable quotes.

Randy, Paula, it's the original team that makes the show.
    And to have four judges giving their statements is so dreary and lengthy.

Some say "if they could get rid of Randy", or "get rid of Paula, because"...
    It's all bogus. It's the differences of the three, that makes a working formula.
    I can't wait for Simon's statement like most of the viewers.
    But, for example, three Simon's would be a desaster.

Just like in a sitcom, everybody can't be funny. That doesn't work.
    Some of the actors have to "play the ball" to the funny guy, so he can look outrageous.

FORT Fogey

OK, some hard news, some rumor, and some rumor about hard news that will air Thursday night.

MJ's Big Blog reports Paula Abdul: Still Without a Contract Plus Something Big May Happen on Idol Tonight.

John Jay and Rich, the morning DJs at KISS Phoenix reported on their radio show this morning that something “big” is going to happen on tonight’s results show...

While hanging out in Paula Abdul’s dressing room with her lawyer and agent, the DJs overheard discussions that spoke of Paula’s future as if leaving Idol next year was a done deal.

“They were talking as if she were done with American Idol,” said John Jay.

According to reports, Paula’s contract is up this year, and she still has not negotiated a new one. Paula told Cynthia McFadden in a Nightline interview set to air Thursday, “It’s not about replacing anybody. It’s about possibly moving on.”

They also had the opportunity to hang out with the Idols on set. There, they learned the details of what will go down tonight. They were told NOT to discuss it on radio this morning.
    Go to the article for a link to the radio show.

FORT Fanatic

Paula needs someone in her camp to tell her to ride the AI bull while the bull is standing. Money is money and she has all those doctors to support!

FORT Fogey

Well nothing went down.

My hunch is that Kara was put on the panel to test the waters of change. I doubt Paula wants to "move on". That is a save face statement in case they don't renew her contract. What on earth would she want to move on to? She is on the top grossing show in the ratings for all networks.

They are not going to fix something that isn't broken. They are looking for feedback from viewers. Since Kara is not being well received I think they will keep Paula. Simon relies on her as his straight man and their relationship is a 4th entity on the panel.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;3424532;
    ...My hunch is that Kara was put on the panel to test the waters of change. I doubt Paula wants to "move on". That is a save face statement in case they don't renew her contract. What on earth would she want to move on to? She is on the top grossing show in the ratings for all networks...
    I agree. Unlike Simon who is running himself into the ground trying to keep up with all these shows he's producing or involved with, Paula only has Idol. (OK, she has a products line, but I don't think she wants to be the has-been crazy cat lady who only sells jewelry on HSN.) The is her retirement money. Simon's getting an insane amount of money and I think for the last two years it's been Paula's expectation that when her contract comes up, she will get a similar deal because in her mind, she is just as vital to the show as Simon. So, she can't let the producers take her for granted.

And the way she plans to accomplish that is to let the fans know that she may or may not be back, and (hopefully) watch the protest mail come in to 19E. It's an "all in" strategy that could backfire. We'll see.

Also, it does not go unnoted that Paula choreographed on the show for the first time this week. (Top that, GioGuardi!) Also note that the whole presentation (rehearsal package, dance number, and sign off) was 60 % about Paula and only 40 % about dancing Idols.

I hope Paula stays with AI, I like her.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3424614;
    I agree. Unlike Simon who is running himself into the ground trying to keep up with all these shows he's producing or involved with, Paula only has Idol. (OK, she has a products line, but I don't think she wants to be the has-been crazy cat lady who only sells jewelry on HSN.) The is her retirement money. Simon's getting an insane amount of money and I think for the last two years it's been Paula's expectation that when her contract comes up, she will get a similar deal because in her mind, she is just as vital to the show as Simon. So, she can't let the producers take her for granted.

And the way she plans to accomplish that is to let the fans know that she may or may not be back, and (hopefully) watch the protest mail come in to 19E. It's an "all in" strategy that could backfire. We'll see.

Also, it does not go unnoted that Paula choreographed on the show for the first time this week. (Top that, GioGuardi!) Also note that the whole presentation (rehearsal package, dance number, and sign off) was 60 % about Paula and only 40 % about dancing Idols.
    To add to your Simon / Paula situations comparison -- Even if Simon decided he didn't mind flying back and forth between LA and London every week, he stands to possibly profit more in the US if he was no longer with Idol. It would allow him to be on America's Got Talent, possibly making that more popular, and would allow him to sell X-Factor in the US. He would own more of himself in the US if he was not bound by Fox. Now whether he'd be as popular on those shows, or could find the sucess in the US without Idol is a variable so his success would not be guaranteed. But he's got possibilities to grow. Paula on the other hand -- her endeavors outside of Idol only work WITH promotion via Idol. Just look at how she used the Idol platform to promote her jewelery.

I don't think we have to worry about any of the 3 judges,
    making a (more than decent) living.
    Fully deserved BTW.
    If you entertain so many people for years...

Randy, Paula, Simon; yay.
    Kara; nay.

FORT Fogey

Paula's been pretty much sober this season. If she were leaving, she would have no reason to clean up her act. I tend to believe she's staying and in the midst of negotiations.

Unless she really needs a break in her life, where would she go after idol???

+ Reply to Thread