+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Paula Abdul - Judge

Re: Paula Abdul - Judge

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3407421;
    OK, we rag on Paula sometimes so it's only fair to give props when she pulls it together and does a great job judging like last night's "Year You Were Born" competition. Good, intelligent comments and no rude (to the contestants) funny business with Simon. Keep it up!
    I have to second this. I thought she did a great job. Now Kara on the other hand, she can exit left any time now.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

I like Kara, but 4 judges are just too much. And Kara seems like the red-headed step-child – she isn’t really part of the family. That being said – I think Kara brought out the best in Paula. Paula seemed to always miss at least one day due to “illness” during the auditions in the past, but she didn’t this year. And Paula’s critiques are a lot more impressive, intelligent and intelligible this year. She seems to be more with it than she has for a long time. My guess is she felt her job was threatened, and she had to straighten up. (No pun on her hit of nearly the same name!).

I actually think Paula has had insightful comments for years, but folks only remember her goofier moments. Regarding Kara, sometimes she jolts Paula into focusing on making intelligent comments. But other times, Kara has rambled on so tediously, there really hasn't been time or room for Paula to say anything else.
    --
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

Paula has gotten her act together this season, good for her. Everyone was saying she's acting loopy, weird, is drinking booze from her cup. I always felt it was her medication, you could see it in her eyes. She has been giving very good critiques and sometimes it might not come out that great verbally but I think it's because she doesn't want to be mean to the contestants. She is always thinking of way to say things in a nice, kind way. She isn't as blunt as Simon.

I've always liked Paula.
    Last edited by graycat11; 04-08-2009 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by graycat11;3407594;
    Paula has gotten her act together this season, good for her. Everyone was saying she's acting loopy, weird, is drinking booze from her cup. I always felt it was her medication, you could see it in her eyes. She has been giving very good critiques and sometimes it might not come out that great verbally but I think it's because she doesn't want to be mean to the contestants. She is always thinking of way to say things in a nice, kind way. She isn't as blunt as Simon.

I've always liked Paula.
    I feel exactly the same way. I have read before that Paula has back pain and so that probably explains some of her loopines because of the medication she was on. I think that this season she is on a different medication that makes her more lucid except I have a feeling it may not work as well because I think all the standing up is not to be obnoxious but because sitting for too long is probably painful.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict;3407432;
    I like Kara, but 4 judges are just too much. And Kara seems like the red-headed step-child – she isn’t really part of the family. That being said – I think Kara brought out the best in Paula. Paula seemed to always miss at least one day due to “illness” during the auditions in the past, but she didn’t this year. And Paula’s critiques are a lot more impressive, intelligent and intelligible this year. She seems to be more with it than she has for a long time. My guess is she felt her job was threatened, and she had to straighten up. (No pun on her hit of nearly the same name!).
    That was my conclusion too. At the beginning of the season, I wondered if they brought Kara in this year as a test and if she did well, would get rid of Paula next season. Paula hasn't acted loopy once and her comments are coherent and frequently very specific.

I think she and Simon counterbalance each other well. If Paula could keep this year's good behavior going, I'd be happy with just Paula and Simon as judges.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I think we are now seeing that Paula's comments about four judges not working were completely right. Adding Kara has really messed up the dynamics of the show. Not only in the chemistry with the judges and Ryan, but with the timing. It is getting monotonous to have to listen to all four of them after each song!! And how they had only two judges talk after each performance this week was a total disaster! Everyone wants to hear Simon's comments!

FORT Fogey

Here's a response from Paula via Twitter on her relationship with Simon:

"def not dating Simon [Cowell] but I have been told he is totally in love with me can't you tell?? "
    Yes, that is her actual Twitter feed. I'm going to be watching to see if she Twitters during the commercial breaks!

FORT Fogey

I keep reading other posts about Kara talking too long - honestly, I had not noticed that. I don't always agree with her, but she doesn't seem to ramble and be talking just to be impressed with the sound of her own voice like Paula does. And, most importantly, she lets others voice their opinions without interjecting CONSTANTLY while they try to speak!

FORT Fogey

And I always like Randy - he just keeps it real, no emotion there....

+ Reply to Thread