+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Finalists, BMG, & 19 Entertainment/Recordings

Finalists, BMG, & 19 Entertainment/Recordings

We all know that the winner will be managed by 19 Entertainment & BMG will will have the recording contract with them. But how does it work for everybody else, does 19 Entertanment own their management contract for life, can BMG snatch any other finalists they want, does newly created 19 Recordings have the first option to pick up anybody that BMG passes on . This is an interesting short article from Reuters news service article that helps explain. It can be found at:
    http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=5224562

Label Debuting with Tamyra Gray
    By Ed Christman

NEW YORK (Billboard) - In launching 19 Recordings, Simon Fuller and his 19 Entertainment juggernaut are moving to increase the brand's power in the United States.

Tom Ennis, VP of 19 Entertainment, heads the new label. It bows Tuesday (May 25) in the States with the solo debut from Tamyra Gray, a first-season finalist from Fuller's "American Idol" creation.

It is the first release in a multi-year distribution agreement with Universal Music & Video Distribution that could see as many as five titles hitting stores in 19 Recordings' first year.

The label "is a logical extension of everything that 19 Entertainment is trying to do here in America," Ennis says. "We are a brand in film, music, television, publishing, touring and music management, but we have not had this type of presence here."

Fuller created the "Pop Idol" TV property, which is the model for "American Idol." Both 19 Entertainment and BMG have an option for one month to sign any of the artists that appear on the show.

In addition to competing for "American Idol" performers, as other labels do once BMG passes on them, 19 Recordings will issue albums from artists under management by 19 Entertainment, Ennis says.

In fact, the label's second album is expected to be from Emma Bunton, aka Baby Spice from the Spice Girls. According to Ennis, Bunton "has a wonderful record with good chart success in the U.K."

Right now I am more interested to see who else 19 and BMG picks up more than who wins the show. I already know that BMG is picking up the option to record Fantasia so she is already a winner. The question is who will join her with BMG and who might join Tamyra with 19 Recordings. If 19 Entertainment picks them up they will be a strong favorite to sign them to 19 Recordings in my opinion especially since nobody else can sign them until September if what I remember from a previous article is correct.

+ Reply to Thread