+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: American Idol 3, Top 3 Results: The Stage Is Now Set

Idol Fan
    Thanks, lobeck, you did it again! Great, thorough recap!

I thought tonight one of the best results shows I've seen! Instead of the usual filler, we got to hear some great singing, if not songs, from both Tamyra & the Australian Idol. Tamyra's voice was really terrific, and I agree with you on how frighteningly skinny she's become. I thought Guy's voice surprisingly high, coming out of him, but it was certainly more note-perfect than any male we've seen this season, and so pure, I felt. Not to take away from how much I loved George!

I was amazed and smiling to see all the support Jasmine got in Hawaii; felt she sang the very best song from her at the close, and did it better than her regular performances have been, but also know/sensed she's been overwhelmed and exhausted by all this and I'm glad she's going. I hope someone works with her as she grows up and helps her follow a music career.

I was even more surprised and shocked after seeing Jasmine's return home video when we saw Fantasia's. It looked like it wasn't until her church pot-luck that she garnered any fans & supporters! I thought it sad that she visited her former elementary school, rather than an older group, and it brought to mind the fact that she must have left school young - which I thought both sad and felt admiration for her strength when she used her experience to remind the children to stay in school!

Without La Toya, I'm glad we have Fantasia & Diana for a finale, and relieved at it, especially given the unusually congested phone lines last night!

Thanks, again, lobeck!

A I FAN ALL 5 YEARS pokealot214's Avatar
    far northern Minnesota usually, but wherever my job takes me!
    Thanks for the great recap lobeck!! Glad to see my favorite go on to the finale. Think it's going to be a wild outcome, no matter how it ends up. Glad they're going to open up the phone lines longer next week. Maybe that way people who have been having so many problems with the phone situation will finally be able to get through. I've never had a problem getting my votes in from my home. I did have trouble when I was out on the road and trying to call from numerous other parts of the country.
    only here occasionally due to work schedule... here mentally even less BTW... you can just call me poke

FORT Newbie
    It's down to Fantasia & Diana... Both from group 1 semi-final where Fantasia got through to Top 12 with more votes than Diana. Will we see a repeat?

eny
    FORT Fogey
    You da man lobes !

Quote Originally Posted by Bellenote
    I was amazed and smiling to see all the support Jasmine got in Hawaii; felt she sang the very best song from her at the close, and did it better than her regular performances have been,
    I disagree. She went sharp in a few notes.

Ned
    As many of us were yakkin' about last nite, I thought there was a good chance Fantasia would get the boot - the love-fest from the judges might have just done her in. But all is well, and for the first time in about 5 weeks the right person went home.

Jasmine was torpedoed by All By Myself. What an awful choice for her. We'll never know if Clive did that on purpose but ya gotta wonder.

Fantasia was alright. Not as splendiferous as the judges thought, per usual. It still seems she's putting about 80% into many of her performances, and the less she puts into it, the more thin & cranky her voice sounds. She sang the Whitney song with a 'gawd-this-song-is-such-a-cliche' attitude and I guess I can't blame her for that. She's the best of the last 3 but I doubt I could sit thru a 90 minute concert of hers.

Diana really impressed me with Don't Cry Out Loud. Another cheesy choice song, but she nailed it. Heck she countersunk it. Her first two performances were weaker, and yes, she does need to lose the Hilary Duff look if possible, and the C'mon y'all's. Maybe even a couple inches of base makeup.

Sure missed LaToya.

Foster Your Inner Kacey BobDobolina's Avatar
    Great recap, Lobes. And you're right about Tamyra. She was skinny before, but now even her face looks gaunt. Somebody get that girl a Big Mac ASAP!

Quote Originally Posted by Bellenote
    I was even more surprised and shocked after seeing Jasmine's return home video when we saw Fantasia's. It looked like it wasn't until her church pot-luck that she garnered any fans & supporters! I thought it sad that she visited her former elementary school, rather than an older group, and it brought to mind the fact that she must have left school young - which I thought both sad and felt admiration for her strength when she used her experience to remind the children to stay in school!
    I read that she had to leave school when her pregnancy started showing. If so, I wouldn't be surprised to discover that she resented the place and chose not to visit it.

Idol Fan
    Thanks, Bob, I agree! It had occurred to me, given her age and parenthood, that that was the reason. Still, she & Diana both ought to have received more supporters showing up. And I admire Fantasia for learning from her experiences and urging the kids on, too. I'm certainly going to enjoy hearing them in the finale! Judging from the support they get here and online and in news coverage, they definitely have supporters, not to mention voters! Seemed a sorry comparison in the clips, though.

And Jonas, you're welcome to your view. Personally, I think Jas never had a performance where her voice didn't go flat, break, or go sharp at one point or another. I still loved that one song best, (both originally & tonight) from her, and like her tone/quality when it sounds in tune to me. And I think she did better tonight and on last night's 3rd number than all the rest of her performances.

I don't know that this is the place to say so or not, but I almost got the feeling in this results show that they made sure of the outcome. Maybe it's just that I still feel leftover frustration from having almost none of my calls get through, (along with most everyone else) but I'm certainly glad the outcome was as it is, given that we've lost La Toya!

Great job, lobes, again!
    Last edited by Bellenote; 05-20-2004 at 04:21 AM.

Thanks for the entertaining recap! I love Tamyra, but yeah,the girl looks like she has some serious food issues. You can always tell if someone lost weight the unhealthy way because their head starts looking too big for their body. Its way more disturbing too me than Diana's few extra pounds .
    Last edited by elfin_sprite; 05-20-2004 at 04:24 AM.

FORT Fanatic
    there are a lot of people in hawaii who breathed a sigh of relief that jasmine's out. not that they dont support her. hawaii loves her. well most of hawaii does. but most know that she is out of her league. and want to "protect" her. yes there are people out there who vote for her because she's from hawaii...im pretty sure all the contestants had those voters as well. yes there are anti-simon/judges voters out there who'll vote for the one(s) who got bashed/dissed by them. yes there are those who'll vote for the "underdog" because judges and others are already claiming someone else the winner. and she has fans all over the continent who actually like/love her voice, style, performance, etc. and this is why she has lasted this far in the competition.

she knew she was leaving tonight. or pretty much HOPED she was the one leaving. and i do believe she thought she was going home the last 2 weeks also.

but making it this far...she can hold her head high...because she did her best under all the pressure and circumstances. just hope all this negativity from the judges/media won't ruin her career. she and john can always get together and talk about their experience and tour together also. haha.

+ Reply to Thread