+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 43

Thread: Clive Davis Comments on Last Night's (5/18) Show

  1. #1
    FORT Fan CTyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    389

    Clive Davis Comments on Last Night's (5/18) Show

    http://et.tv.yahoo.com/tv/2004/05/19...ol_finalthree/

    On tonight's ET, our BOB GOEN gets the inside story from Clive Davis himself. Here is how the man who launched a thousand hit records rates last night's competition:

    "It was just an okay night for Jasmine in my opinion," Clive told Bob on the ET set. "She was pleasant with a decent voice, but in this competition you need to find the next great recording star. The prize is a recording contract. It is not the 'Miss America Pageant.' You need to find someone special and unique.

    "Fantasia is unique. I said last night that if I were in a basement in Kansas, the answer would be yes. She is in the chain of [great singers such as] ARETHA FRANKLIN and WHITNEY HOUSTON.

    "If you asked me who I would sign outside of the competition, I would say Fantasia. Within the competition, if Diana wins, I would make the best record with her and watch her grow. Diana is growing; Fantasia is unique. She is showing a creative technique. I can't wait to work with her.

    "Diana improved as the show went along. She felt more comfortable, dug a little deeper. Last night she showed why she is in the finals. I think she deserves to be in the final two. She held up last night. But once 'American Idol' is over she will be competing at the top level with the CHRISTINA AGUILERAs and the AVRIL LAVIGNEs."

  2. #2
    Big Blue - Tayshaun! superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1,694
    Quote Originally Posted by CTyler
    http://et.tv.yahoo.com/tv/2004/05/19...ol_finalthree/

    On tonight's ET, our BOB GOEN gets the inside story from Clive Davis himself. Here is how the man who launched a thousand hit records rates last night's competition:

    "It was just an okay night for Jasmine in my opinion," Clive told Bob on the ET set. "She was pleasant with a decent voice, but in this competition you need to find the next great recording star. The prize is a recording contract. It is not the 'Miss America Pageant.' You need to find someone special and unique.

    "Fantasia is unique. I said last night that if I were in a basement in Kansas, the answer would be yes. She is in the chain of [great singers such as] ARETHA FRANKLIN and WHITNEY HOUSTON.

    "If you asked me who I would sign outside of the competition, I would say Fantasia. Within the competition, if Diana wins, I would make the best record with her and watch her grow. Diana is growing; Fantasia is unique. She is showing a creative technique. I can't wait to work with her.

    "Diana improved as the show went along. She felt more comfortable, dug a little deeper. Last night she showed why she is in the finals. I think she deserves to be in the final two. She held up last night. But once 'American Idol' is over she will be competing at the top level with the CHRISTINA AGUILERAs and the AVRIL LAVIGNEs."
    Wait a second, Clive just included Avril in the same category as Christina? Christina is a WAY better singer than Avril.

  3. #3
    a star is born Katelyn&Carmen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Snellville... hometown of music's next big superstar.
    Age
    28
    Posts
    647
    Avril?!?! Diana could sing circles around that fake. Avril and her pre-school lyrics are a thing of the past. I think she is going to fail at this comeback she is making. This article isn't much different from last night and the entertainment shows tonight. Everyone crawling up Fantasia's butt and expecting all of America to latch on.
    YDiana DeGarmo One VoiceY

    She dreamed... the impossible dream. She fought the unbeatable foe.
    She's still standing better than she ever did...


    This is it! This time I know it's for real.

    MY AMERICAN IDOL
    Did you think this fool could never win? Look at her, she's coming back again!

  4. #4
    I've been a bad, bad girl Siryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,921
    If there is room in the industry for synthesized singers like Britney Spears, there is room for someone with decent pipes like Diana.
    I me some Marty Casey. Go Marty!

  5. #5
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    50
    Clive doesn't seem to be too interested in Jasmine!
    Man... I hope she lands a contract. I want her CD!!

  6. #6
    I like them silent WomynLee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,131
    Quote Originally Posted by CnDi
    Clive doesn't seem to be too interested in Jasmine!
    Man... I hope she lands a contract. I want her CD!!
    Well, her reputation endured a lot of negativity...there was no way he wouldn't have heard what the majority of America has been lashing about.
    I'm sure she'll get a contract just not as big as the top two.

  7. #7
    Big Blue - Tayshaun! superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1,694
    Quote Originally Posted by da huffinator
    I don't mean to be mean, but do you guys think Diana's weight problem will affect her in today's pop industry? Not trying to hate or anything, but do you think she could sell records with her image right now?
    She doesn't have a weight problem. As long as she picks her clothes right, she doesn't even look chubby.

  8. #8
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by superfly
    She doesn't have a weight problem. As long as she picks her clothes right, she doesn't even look chubby.
    I think it all depends on how they market her. If they think of turning her into a sexy popstar, yeah... she should definitely lose weight! I personally think she's beautiful the way she is.

  9. #9
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by CTyler
    But once 'American Idol' is over she will be competing at the top level with the CHRISTINA AGUILERAs and the AVRIL LAVIGNEs.
    Face it, *none* of the American Idol contestants will even get close to the likes of Christina. And like someone else said, why is Avril mentioned in the same sentence with Christina?

  10. #10
    Idol Fan
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    All Dimensions
    Posts
    770
    After watching the performance show this week, we were in no doubt how Clive felt about Fantasia! And thank you, CTyler, for sharing this article!

    I loved Clive as a guest judge - the 2nd time this season, I thought we had a good one, the first being Quentin T. However, after this article, I am disenchanted by his classification of Diana! I think she has the vocal talent and poise and positivity to make a wonderful, enduring, growing singer throughout her life! Yes, it will be true she's growing and will continue to do so. However, to lump her with the likes of Avril & Christina really annoys me! Diana may be manufactured as a pop idol due to this show, but I think she deserves to grow as a true career singer and not some faddish flash in the pan, which is how I see the others! Clive may have said she deserves to be in the Final Two, but he doesn't give her enough credit! She is very, very talented and very young with a very promising future, imo.

    This doesn't negate the fact that I think Fantasia is definitely a star and I'm also glad she'll do well and vote for her, too.

    Clive's remarks in this certainly alienate me! And yes, I know, AI is a pop thing. They still find real talent, and these girls are both talented! It's funny how much they talk of Fantasia being unique, though, and then immediately compare her to anyone else. I support them both!

    Thanks, again, CTyler!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.