+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Clive Davis Comments on Last Night's (5/18) Show

Clive's right on, not surprisingly. Diana is unseasoned as a singer and it shows badly. A big voice isn't enough and sometimes just isn't necessary. Diana is not unique by any stretch but Fantasia is nothing like the current scene or even really like past musical personas. A times there's a hint of Macy Gray in her voice but that seems to stem from her ghetto country (or whoever she termed it) roots. She's clearly a bigger talent and surprisingly broad in expressing her emotional range in song. She's as convincing doing Summertime as doing A Fool In Love.

Diana can't sell it which makes her on the level of manufactured pop princesses, she's perhaps further handicapped by her Britney-ish vocal style. She's out classed by, say, Christina since Christina has greater depth and is far more seasoned. And, unfortunately for Diana, *that's* what she'll be competing with out in record stores if she wins.

Jasmine doesn't know who she is vocally and doesn't know how to use her voice so clearly she's not ready to win and step into the supposed roll of "superstar" that the Idol winner takes on.

Quote Originally Posted by CnDi
    Clive doesn't seem to be too interested in Jasmine!
    Man... I hope she lands a contract. I want her CD!!
    i thought the same thing too. but i'm not worried about her. i'm sure she will land a record deal somewhere. if i was a recording producer, i would be a fool NOT to grab her. look at tamayra (not that they're in the same boat), but she is about to release her first album AFTER AI1 ended (which is about 2 years). i think we just gotta give some time for jasmine to get EVEN better and we'll be enjoying her music in the future. until then, i guess imma just be stuck listening to her AI songs hehe... and it's not done yet. jasmine still has the tour. if she's even better on tour, maybe we won't have to wait so long YAHOO!

Foster Your Inner Kacey BobDobolina's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellenote
    However, to lump her with the likes of Avril & Christina really annoys me! Diana may be manufactured as a pop idol due to this show, but I think she deserves to grow as a true career singer and not some faddish flash in the pan, which is how I see the others!
    I don't think he meant it that way. IMO, he was saying that Avril and Christina are the big guns, and they'll be much more challenging competition than what she's faced in AI. I don't even think he was insulting her. He seemed to be trying to paint a more accurate picture of the water she will soon be thrown in, i.e. that it won't be a cakewalk.

He activates my yummy!!!! yourefired's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superfly
    She doesn't have a weight problem. As long as she picks her clothes right, she doesn't even look chubby.

Diana is a lot like Candace Cameron was on Full House. There is a huge potential for a weight problem. But I think that in the case of both girls that baby fat is the issue. Candace Cameron has learned how to balance diet and exercise for a healthy body. She looks amazing now, even after a couple of kids. I think Diana will do the same.

Besides, Diana was not at all chunky in the Hawaii auditions, so this seems to be a short-term thing. All of the Idol contestants seem to gain some weight while living at the house. Remember Josh? He's got his body in order now. The same for Kelly.

Diana is a teen, and she's probably fallen in love with In & Out, Jack N The Box, and Fat Burger. But give her a healthy diet and some exercise, and I think she'll be just fine. And let's hope all this talk about her being chunky doesn't lead her down the path of Tracey Gold from Growing Pains or Jill Whelan from The Love Boat. Nobody deserves that suffering.
    Geisha Ninja Sparkle Dance
    Twirling Ninja Sparkle Dance

In my biased mind, how I see Clive's comparisons is that Fantasia=Aretha=Whitney=Legend with signature style, and Diana=Avril=Christina=pop princess to fit today's popular music scene.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by yourefired
    Besides, Diana was not at all chunky in the Hawaii auditions, so this seems to be a short-term thing. All of the Idol contestants seem to gain some weight while living at the house. Remember Josh? He's got his body in order now. The same for Kelly.
    I hope Diana has the strength to follow in the footsteps of Kelly Clarkson when she was told to lose weight. If I remember correctly, she pretty much told whoever suggested it to shove it and that she wasn't going to live somebody elses preconceived notion of what she should look like. I applaud young girls like that today.

Diana is not my favorite and hasn't been this entire ride, however, I will say she is a very pretty girl who will, more than likely, grow up to be a beautiful woman.

It strikes me as funny how nobody mentions Tasia's size. She's bigger than Diana. Is it because of her personality or her ability as a performer that we tend to ignore this about her?

I think Fantasia carries her weight differently, she still looks normal weight, and she is taller than Diana. Diana, unfortunately, gains weight on face, and it shows immediately, and it makes her look bigger (and older) than she really is.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by BobDobolina
    I don't think he meant it that way. IMO, he was saying that Avril and Christina are the big guns, and they'll be much more challenging competition than what she's faced in AI. I don't even think he was insulting her. He seemed to be trying to paint a more accurate picture of the water she will soon be thrown in, i.e. that it won't be a cakewalk.

I agree.
    Avril and Christina both have the added dimension of song writing too.
    Diana and Fantasia will be looking to crack into different markets once this is over, just as Ruben and Clay were/are.
    If not for the competition there would likely be no comparissons made between the success and progress of Diana and Tasia once they start their solo careers.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I thought Clive was 90% correct in his critique - well done.

It would have been really cool if he whipped out a contract and said "sign here Fantasia" and I'll take you away from all of this.

CAN'T wait for Fantasia's album!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Katelyn&Carmen
    Avril?!?! Diana could sing circles around that fake. Everyone crawling up Fantasia's butt and expecting all of America to latch on.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast