+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bowing Out Gracefully

Im not a Jasmine apologizer and certainly thinks she should not have outlasted LaToya - and Jennifer and George for that matter. However, bowing out gracefully would be for her to stay and sing her heart out as long as she has fans that are taking time out to vote for her and when her time is up sing the hell out of whatever song she sings on her farewell. Thats bowing out gracefull.

Foster Your Inner Kacey BobDobolina's Avatar
    Or she could do what Latoya inadvertantly did, tell her fans that she's perfectly happy getting as far as she did and doesn't care whether she wins. If JS had tactfully done that, I bet a lot of his fans would have respected his wishes and let him off the hook earlier. (No tomatoes! I'm not saying that either those were his wishes or that he was kept on the hook. Just considering a hypothetical case )

But overall, I agree with DetGuy, she should, as they said in Saving Private Ryan, "Earn it" and make the most of her opportunity.

He activates my yummy!!!! yourefired's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by funnygirl422
    Can a contestant do this? Are they obligated contractually to stick it out? What would be the ramifications if somebody said it's not right, I should have been the one to go and then walk away? Thoughts?

I think the only way to rightfully justify an exit would be in the event of a personal or family emergency. If the contestant gets sick and can't continue, that's understandable. Or, like in the case of Matt, a family member is diagnosed with a life-threatening disease (Matt's mom has lung cancer and is dying), then they could and should bow out gracefully.

HOWEVER, if a contestant just doesn't like the contest or the judges' comments, he should tough it out. It's called pride, and any contestant who makes it this far should have it. He or she should work hard and do his or her best and let the chips fall where they may. It would only make him or her look like a big immature brat to go home crying to mommy cause mean Simon said some nasty thing to him or her.

That being said, I think legally, they can leave, but like someone else said, 19 still holds the cards so why do it?
    Geisha Ninja Sparkle Dance
    Twirling Ninja Sparkle Dance

FORT Regular
    There was also a girl on South African Idol who was called back for the wildcard round, but she unexplicably refused the invitation. Her name was Francesca I think.

A I FAN ALL 5 YEARS pokealot214's Avatar
    far northern Minnesota usually, but wherever my job takes me!
    Quote Originally Posted by yourefired
    Or, like in the case of Matt, a family member is diagnosed with a life-threatening disease (Matt's mom has lung cancer and is dying), then they could and should bow out gracefully.

That being said, I think legally, they can leave, but like someone else said, 19 still holds the cards so why do it?
    That was the first I had heard of Matt's mom's illness. Does that mean Matt won't be on tour with the rest this summer? If that IS what it means, does that mean he has lost his contract/chances through 19E?
    Quote Originally Posted by john
    They can quit, but if they've made the Top 12, they're still stuck with the 19E contract for representation. Which means they're basically throwing away their musical career.
    only here occasionally due to work schedule... here mentally even less BTW... you can just call me poke

Pokealot, I think he and Leah won't be included in the tour because they weren't in the top 10. That's too bad, too, because I'm going and would love to see Matt. At one time there was a petition circulating asking for Matt to be included, but nothing ever came of it.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

A I FAN ALL 5 YEARS pokealot214's Avatar
    far northern Minnesota usually, but wherever my job takes me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann
    Pokealot, I think he and Leah won't be included in the tour because they weren't in the top 10. That's too bad, too, because I'm going and would love to see Matt. At one time there was a petition circulating asking for Matt to be included, but nothing ever came of it.
    Oh, I mistakenly thought it would be the Top 12. Thanks for the answer.
    only here occasionally due to work schedule... here mentally even less BTW... you can just call me poke

Foster Your Inner Kacey BobDobolina's Avatar
    My understanding is that the last two spots are at the producer's discretion. The people who were circulating that petition said they were doing it "just in case." My impression was that they probably will be on the tour.

The first year there were only 10 finalists so all went. Last year there were only nine as Corey was booted out. The tour info only includes the names of the top ten, so I'm assuming that's all there will be.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Quote Originally Posted by guinevere_79
    There was also a girl on South African Idol who was called back for the wildcard round, but she unexplicably refused the invitation. Her name was Francesca I think.
    Interesting.

I think that's what happened with the Canadian girl I mentioned earlier.
    I'm not sure if they had actually extended the wildcard invite to her before she left or not, but if they hadn't I think they would have as the judges liked her.
    "That's Numberwang!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast