+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: American Idol 3, Top 3: Hey Mister Melody, Please Be In Tune For Me

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Addict
    okay, i must be watching a totally different show from everyone else, or i must have bad hearing, but i really think diana is horrible. she can only stay somewhat in tune when she yells. she can't stay in tune on slow songs for anything. i don't "feel" her when she sings...it's just so mechanical. i'm not understanding the judges fascination with her at all...send the child to work on the disney channel! i think she would do really well there (and i'm not being sarcastic!).
    Nope, you're watching the same show!

You Ought To See Her Fly Paradigm's Avatar
    Lobeck,

I think it was "FANTASIA" who stole the "hey ya'll" from Diana last night. I even pointed it out on the shows spoiler thread and addressed it to you.
    Win or Lose: Diana Degarmo is my American Idol!

Quote Originally Posted by pokealot214
    First off. Great recap lobeck. Now, beyond what jmsjmsjms said, how about her first song. The one she chose. How is it any more proper for her to sing about making love all night with a man who has "a family" and is, based on the lyrics, presumably married? I just don't get how the song choices were made. Doesn't anyone have a say about what might or might not be proper for a 17 year old girl to sing? :rolleyes
    Well, you would expect a 17-year-old girl to just pick songs that she knows and not pay attention to what the lyrics are really saying. However, you would not expect an old man, who is the head of one of the largest music label groups out there, to pick an inappropriate song for her, both lyrically and vocally. He should've picked something that would suit her voice and age because that's what he does for a living. Perhaps he was trying to sabotage her in the competition because of what he said about her not showing how desperate and lonely the person in the song is. She's 17! What the hell would she know about desperation and loneliness? She still lives at home with mommy and daddy!

You Ought To See Her Fly Paradigm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Addict
    I got in about 5 votes for fantasia last night. and slap me, but for the first time i voted for jasmine because i was so irritated with the judges! not so much because they were slamming her, but because they were slamming her and praising diana who i thought sucked just as badly as jasmine. i just want diana to go...
    Funny! I feel the exact same way about Fantasia! hmm..

oh, also, i'm so tired of the judges and sour people thinking that hawaii is saving jasmine...yeah, what can 1.2 million out of 20 million votes really do? get off of it already, jasmine has fans all over the continental u.s. simon l. was with jasmine here in hawaii last week and they were both being interviewed on the radio, and he admitted (though he thought he shouldn't be saying anything) that yes, hawaii does vote in large numbers for jasmine, but the majority of her votes are from the continental u.s. and that she has fans all over. i'm so tired of people downing hawaii.
    I agree! Honest!
    Win or Lose: Diana Degarmo is my American Idol!

I don't understand the big deal about glorified karaoke singers on TV having to be careful of what the lyrics are for the song they choose, and whether they can actually empathize with things like loneliness or desperation in order to sing it well.

She didn't write the song. She didn't even record the song. She's only singing it, to show off her singing ability. That's it. *sigh* When I sing along to a song on the radio, do I worry that I can't relate to the song I'm singing along with from a personal standpoint? To my knowledge, I've never been clinically insane, but that doesn't mean I can't sing along to Ozzy's "Diary of a Madman".

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by jmsjmsjms
    Didn't anyone wonder why someone who is the head of BMG chose a song with lyrics like, "When I was young, I never needed anyone. Making love was just for fun. Those days are gone." for a 17-year-old girl?
    No more so than why the same 17-year-old herself chose to sing a song about adultery.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    I don't understand the big deal about glorified karaoke singers on TV having to be careful of what the lyrics are for the song they choose, and whether they can actually empathize with things like loneliness or desperation in order to sing it well.

She didn't write the song. She didn't even record the song. She's only singing it, to show off her singing ability. That's it. *sigh* When I sing along to a song on the radio, do I worry that I can't relate to the song I'm singing along with from a personal standpoint? To my knowledge, I've never been clinically insane, but that doesn't mean I can't sing along to Ozzy's "Diary of a Madman".
    And I always sing along to Elton John's "Madman Across the Water" and the Beatle's "Yellow Submarine." I don't think I am insane and I've never lived on a submarine.

On the other hand, while I don't think it's necessary to have actually lived the meaning of a song, it is necessary, if onstage, to ACT like you've lived it through telling the story of the song. Jasmine just didn't come off like a hurt woman pining for her married lover in the first Whitney song, and, in "All by Myself," she didn't sound too lonely, either. It's the same principle when casting for professional stage plays. Sixteen-year-old girls are rarely, if ever, cast as mature, brokenhearted women.
    Last edited by pillbeam; 05-19-2004 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nilesgirl
    I was wondering the same thing. It kind of reminded me of when LeAnne Rimes sang Commitment. She was like what 16 or 17 when she sang that? What does a girl that young know about Commitment??
    Well I don't think Jas may no about commitment, but
    I do not think she is innocent as you guys think she is, I think she just might no about making love for fun. That being said she doesn't know about the emotion of real love. Neither does Diana, AT ALL. I can't even inmagine whats going to happen tonight, this could be a crazy night.
    I'll get you my pretty, and your little dog too...

Ultimate American Idol RubenIZMyne's Avatar

LMFAO Well said John. I almost fell outta my chair reading this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast