+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 77

Thread: American Idol 3, Top 3: Hey Mister Melody, Please Be In Tune For Me

  1. #21
    HBK fan nilesgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Age
    42
    Posts
    4,764
    Quote Originally Posted by jmsjmsjms
    Didn't anyone wonder why someone who is the head of BMG chose a song with lyrics like, "When I was young, I never needed anyone. Making love was just for fun. Those days are gone." for a 17-year-old girl?
    I was wondering the same thing. It kind of reminded me of when LeAnne Rimes sang Commitment. She was like what 16 or 17 when she sang that? What does a girl that young know about Commitment??
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

  2. #22
    FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,742
    Lobeck, your recap rocks as much as Fantasia!!! I pretty much agree w/your assessment, altho you say it so much better that I can!!! Thanks!

  3. #23
    FORT Newbie da huffinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitrabbit
    american idol 1= The traditional pop star is found - "You voted for Justin"

    american idol 2= Talent over image - "Hmm ... think they were evenly matched and I think Clay has a better track record since then"

    american idol 3= America is on crack - "I could put some snide comments here but I don't think it would be appropriate"

    George Huff was the last man standing, good enough for me! - "Come on the male singers in this competion were a joke including George - George "good old boy attitude - kept him in the competion ... not his talent - though this could be said of many of the contestants"
    I did not vote in season one, but look at any Simon Cowell interivew and he says that the first season people voted more on how people looked. And Kelly is your traditional pop star: pretty girl, great voice, great personality, a little cutesy.

    Season 2, ain't going to argue on you on that one, b/c I am the biggest male Clay fan in the world.

    Season 3, come on now. We voted (not me however) for people that didn't belong in the final stages of the competition. Although it would be boring if there were no predictability in the competition, I still don't like to listen to awful performances in the final 3 (cough Jasmine cough).


    and leave Georgie alone!
    american idol 1= The traditional pop star is found
    american idol 2= Talent over image
    american idol 3= America is on crack

    George Huff was the last man standing, good enough for me!

  4. #24
    jmb
    jmb is offline
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    819
    Quote Originally Posted by dvm
    Yo, yo, yo. Lobeck, you brought it down today. That was HOTT!! Got to give you props. Yeah-yeah-yeah.

    Great Randy impersonation!!

  5. #25
    FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    hangin' with the girls drinking Cosmos
    Posts
    7,739
    Great recap Lobeck. Jasmine is definately out of her element and needs to go home
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

  6. #26
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    109
    Next year I'm going to be more vigilant during the top 32. This top 12 was ok, but their was not enough variety of talent. Tonight we had three singers, one was as good as the top three last year and one was as good as Carmen. Diana, well, I dont know what to do with her because she does have "mad talent" but she doesn't have an image or a nitch, or anything cool about her. She just isn't "pop star" to me. Last year was amazing because all the singers gave amazing performaces the last couple shows and it was all about talent and who was more talented, this year, its been CRAZY. We just didn't pay enough attension early on. The judges should have purely put in people they thought were telented. Everyone was generally better than last year, but we didn't have enough powerhouses, or even a diverse group of power houses.

  7. #27
    Ruben is "Soulful" pillbeam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,115
    Quote Originally Posted by jmsjmsjms
    Didn't anyone wonder why someone who is the head of BMG chose a song with lyrics like, "When I was young, I never needed anyone. Making love was just for fun. Those days are gone." for a 17-year-old girl?
    It's no mystery to me why Clive chose that song for Jasmine. Clive clearly doesn't want Jasmine to win cuz if she did, he'd have to record her. Clive is a shrewd guy. He knows that the song is notoriously difficult to sing for someone like Jasmine--who is routinely off-key--and it is inappropriate for her age and experience. Also, the comparison to LaToya's great version is pretty stark.

    And, Clive, unlike what he did for Diana and Fantasia, gave no reason why he chose that particular song for Jasmine.
    Last edited by pillbeam; 05-19-2004 at 03:10 PM.

  8. #28
    Luscious Pichus Pookipichu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    413
    Hmmm, I don't agree that sending Jasmine home is the "right thing". Although I was rooting for Jennifer Hudson to win, I think it's harsh to say Jasmine deserves to be eliminated. There are clearly people who enjoy her singing and her presence. To say that her elimination is the "right" thing is rather arrogant and presuming. I have been reading variations of that statement in this forum and newspapers like it were the gospel truth.. as if everyone is required to like Diana, Fantasia and Latoya. Not only do people have a right to like Jasmine best, there are people who do and we should all respect that if not agree. After American Idol is over, then you really vote... with your pocket books. Until then, I wish everyone was a little nicer to the finalists. They are young and seem like nice kids. Well, this show will soon be over so let's get our purses ready and buy Jennifer H.'s new Cd :-)


    Touch my bunny, stroke my cow.

  9. #29
    FORT Fan Addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    167
    as always...great recap lobes! i don't know how you keep putting them out time and time again! thanks!

    okay, i must be watching a totally different show from everyone else, or i must have bad hearing, but i really think diana is horrible. she can only stay somewhat in tune when she yells. she can't stay in tune on slow songs for anything. i don't "feel" her when she sings...it's just so mechanical. i'm not understanding the judges fascination with her at all...send the child to work on the disney channel! i think she would do really well there (and i'm not being sarcastic!).

    let me state up front that i am NOT a jasmine fan at all. in fact i really don't care for her much. i slam her for many of the same reasons that i do diana. she's cute, but she can't hold a tune and comes off as kind of self centered. but, i do believe that of the three, she is the most packagable "pop" image right now. she has a workable voice (think janet jackson, paula in her hey day, j.lo, madonna, britteny) and sex appeal. all she needs is a catchy tune, a dance coach, and a slamming video with her hair being blown all over the place and some water splashed on her. not my cup of tea...but she could really be marketable.

    with all that said my rankings for last night are:

    1. FANTASIA (girl is a performer...i feel her when she sings)

    HUGE GAP (and frankly i really could care less about the other two)

    2/3 (tie) Jasmine/Diana

    i got in about 5 votes for fantasia last night. and slap me, but for the first time i voted for jasmine because i was so irritated with the judges! not so much because they were slamming her, but because they were slamming her and praising diana who i thought sucked just as badly as jasmine. i just want diana to go...

    oh, also, i'm so tired of the judges and sour people thinking that hawaii is saving jasmine...yeah, what can 1.2 million out of 20 million votes really do? get off of it already, jasmine has fans all over the continental u.s. simon l. was with jasmine here in hawaii last week and they were both being interviewed on the radio, and he admitted (though he thought he shouldn't be saying anything) that yes, hawaii does vote in large numbers for jasmine, but the majority of her votes are from the continental u.s. and that she has fans all over. i'm so tired of people downing hawaii.

    OH how much more life the show would have right now with jennifer and george...i really miss them. i think even JPL would've added some much needed zing to this finale!

  10. #30
    FORT Fan Addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by nilesgirl
    I was wondering the same thing. It kind of reminded me of when LeAnne Rimes sang Commitment. She was like what 16 or 17 when she sang that? What does a girl that young know about Commitment??
    i hear you! that was my irritation with the song choice for jasmine...well duh clive, you're not going to feel the song with jasmine because 1. i doubt that she's ever been all by herself and 2. what does she know about "when i was young, i never needed anyone, and making love was just for fun, those days are gone..." do you blame the girl for just singing the song rather than emoting that feeling?!

    also, poor song choice on jasmine's part with saving all my love for you..."a few stolen moments were all that we shared, you got your family, and they need you there..." i'm not thinking that jasmine was feeling the song about fooling around with some married guy.

    i think that jasmine and diana just sing the song...whereas people like fantasia, george, and especially jennifer feel that song and sing you the story, IMHO of course. for me personally, i "feel" them when they sing. everyone else i'm just listening to.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.