+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: **Possible Spoiler** Who Cowell Thinks will win AI3... little Seabiscuit

FORT Fogey
    From seeing LaToya in interviews, she seems very much warmer. I think to her, AI was just a vehicle for exposure but she just wasnt going to get into the whole game of it all. Im sure she would have loved to win, but she wasnt going to act a different way to do so.

That being said I dont think Simon dislikes the AI contestants. I think he would say that Clay can sing but that his music might not be his style. From what I gather from interviews and such, Simon does not seem to like the same pop music he is guilty of putting out there.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by funnygirl422
    Simon was on Ellen yesterday and said it was all about the marketing and PR. He said he likes the way voting has been going it keeps things interesting and unpredictable.

Ellen asked him about LaToya because she was on the show on Monday and said she was very personable, etc. Simon said he knew that about her, but it wasn't coming across in her performances. He looks forward to seeing where her career will take her.

The interesting part of his interview was when he was talking about marketing and his example was Jessica Simpson. He thinks she's overrated and an average singer, but her stint on Newlyweds and, in particular, her chicken/tuna debacle is what put her back on the map. He said he thought the chicken/tuna, as well as the buffalo wings statements were scripted. I have to agree with him.
    I saw the interview as well. I dont believe he ever said Jessica Simpson was overrated and an average singer in those exact words or maybe I missed that part. He used her as an example of how weird the music industry is. He stated that her career was going nowhere and then she got the tv show and "made" those statements - he obviously believes they were written for her, me too - and now her career is exploding. He was using this as a case to show that Idol, with its surprises is similar to the music industry. Also, he stated that some of the most talented singers out there are backup singers - I have heard this alot and have met some - while less talented singers are stars.

Quote Originally Posted by DetGuy
    I saw the interview as well. I dont believe he ever said Jessica Simpson was overrated and an average singer in those exact words or maybe I missed that part. He used her as an example of how weird the music industry is. He stated that her career was going nowhere and then she got the tv show and "made" those statements - he obviously believes they were written for her, me too - and now her career is exploding. He was using this as a case to show that Idol, with its surprises is similar to the music industry. Also, he stated that some of the most talented singers out there are backup singers - I have heard this alot and have met some - while less talented singers are stars.
    Simon has stated on AI about Simpson being over-rated. I forgot about the backup singer line, but you are right. I enjoyed his interview. I find myself agreeing with Simon a lot this year. He's spot-on with his statements. Even the negative ones against my faves.

FORT Fogey
    Simon has stated on AI about Simpson being over-rated. I forgot about the backup singer line, but you are right. I enjoyed his interview. I find myself agreeing with Simon a lot this year. He's spot-on with his statements. Even the negative ones against my faves.
    I see what you're saying. Yea I in general agree with him and he doesnt have an issue with changing his mind on a contestant in either direction. He did it with Jennifer, John (from liking him to thinking its time to go) and Diana. While I like Randy and thinks he makes the most on point critiqes regarding singing technique and such, I think Randy knows who he likes and dislikes and thats it.

Let's be honest here. The reason why he brought up Clay in the interview and not anyone else is a simple reason. Sure Ruben is doing well with his record sales and Kelly the same, but Clay has become this pop superstar giant that is on every record chart, every tabloid magazine, and is poked fun at during most talk show hosts' monologues (which IMO is a good thing, it means your very popular). Simon knows as well as everyone knows, even Ruben fans, that Clay is the most successful one to come out of this show.

Having said that, even being a "Claymate", I do think Clay feels he is being threatened by a potential successful pop artist to come out of this show. Everyone knows that based on the show Clay came across as this sweet guy who loved all of his fellow contestants. But in any interview of people who knew Clay during the AI2 season, they said what separated Clay from everyone else was his super comepetitiveness during the competition. They said he would practice for hours and hours a day in a small closet, even during his free time he would practice. That is why he never missed a note (never ever got a pitchy comment), he always gave stellar performances (except for Vincent, but that wasn't his fault, producers gave him lyrics @ last second), and he always knew what to do to attract viewers (facial expressions when he was declared "safe" - remember that?)

Now the question is will there be a bigger star coming out of this season? Well like Simon said that is up to America to decide, but I highly doubt IMO. Why you ask? Don't kill me on this one but it is easy to tell why there will be no bigger star from this season... it's a girl! Girls just don't succeed as well as guys that much. Even in the pop world, there is a glass ceiling affect to where girls can see the top, but can't there. But then you ask, what about Britney and Christina they're doing successful right? Successful. yes. The best. no way. a hearthrob will always out weigh a diva. Who do you think are the biggest record buying demographic? teenage females. And who do they have hanging on their wall? It ain't going to be Fantasia Barrino or Diana Degarmo that's for sure. 'nuff said.
    american idol 1= The traditional pop star is found
    american idol 2= Talent over image
    american idol 3= America is on crack

George Huff was the last man standing, good enough for me!

Snaps for John!
    Quote Originally Posted by pintobean
    I for one have been to a Clay Aiken concert and it was great! Your opinion of Clay is my opinion of Ruben. The thought of even going to a Ruben concert has never entered my mind and I probably wouldn't go if someone gave me free tickets!
    I totally agree, I wouldn't go to a Ruben concert for a very large sum of money. I don't mean to be rude (heh heh), but I just don't enjoy his performances.
    Simon hates Clay. It seems obvious to me, and it doesn't make sense, as Clay has made the most money and is the most popular of any contestant, and he didn't even win! I mean, come on Simon, you were wrong about Clayton. Not popstar material? Um, yeah. Good call. :rolleyes

You Ought To See Her Fly Paradigm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DetGuy
    The question wasn't who deserved to win but who will win and he answered Diana. I think if you asked Simon who should win, he would probably say Fantasia. And Diana fans dont attack me, thats just the sense I get from all his comments and statements. Im not even that big of a Fantasia fan.
    Ok? So whats your point?
    Win or Lose: Diana Degarmo is my American Idol!

eny
    FORT Fogey
    We aren't going down this road again .... All roads do not lead to Clay .If it becomes a clay is god and ruben was robbed thread, it will dissapear .

Pity as Cowell makes some good points.

You Ought To See Her Fly Paradigm's Avatar
    Diana didn't get kudos last night because, quite frankly, she didn't deserve it.

She tried to carry over her disco night performance in her first song and failed. Second song was way out of her range.

She's too young.
    You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine. I BELIEVE she deserves to win over Fantasia and Jasmine. It is already established that her age will hinder people to see her talent and potential. Talent has nothing to do with age and that argument is as old as all gets out. Even Cowell had to take back that comment/critique!
    Win or Lose: Diana Degarmo is my American Idol!

Quote Originally Posted by idyllphan730
    Simon hates Clay. It seems obvious to me, and it doesn't make sense, as Clay has made the most money and is the most popular of any contestant, and he didn't even win! I mean, come on Simon, you were wrong about Clayton. Not popstar material? Um, yeah. Good call. :rolleyes
    Simon does NOT hate Clay. He doesn't understand the following. He also doesn't understand how Brittney, Jessica or Madonna for that matter has made it as far as they have. He doesn't hate, he just doesn't get it. Simon doesn't get a cent of the money Clay may or may not have made for AI.

Clay is NOT a pop idol. He's a crooner and we'll probably hear him a lot in elevators as we get older, but he is definitely not a pop star.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast