+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: **Possible Spoiler** Who Cowell Thinks will win AI3... little Seabiscuit

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by pintobean
    I for one have been to a Clay Aiken concert and it was great! Your opinion of Clay is my opinion of Ruben. The thought of even going to a Ruben concert has never entered my mind and I probably wouldn't go if someone gave me free tickets!
    I was a Clay fan and wanted him to win over Ruben but i'd much rather go to a Ruben concert at this point over a Clay concert. While i'd probably not go to either, I havent been impressed with Clay's - or Ruben's for that matter but much more Clay's - music since the show. I think i'd go crazy after a few minutes. I have to agree with Simon on this one. None of the idols since would get me to a concert. Now LaToya, I expect her to put out something very mature and something that really understands music, therefore, I could imagine going to her concert; same with Fantasia and Jennifer. I wont even talk about Diana or Jasmine.

Quote Originally Posted by DetGuy
    I was a Clay fan and wanted him to win over Ruben but i'd much rather go to a Ruben concert at this point over a Clay concert. While i'd probably not go to either, I havent been impressed with Clay's - or Ruben's for that matter but much more Clay's - music since the show. I think i'd go crazy after a few minutes. I have to agree with Simon on this one. None of the idols since would get me to a concert. Now LaToya, I expect her to put out something very mature and something that really understands music, therefore, I could imagine going to her concert; same with Fantasia and Jennifer. I wont even talk about Diana or Jasmine.
    Obviously you get the impression that Clay only sings his music at these concerts which is not true. He sings a variety of songs not just the ones that are on his albums for example - Prince, James Taylor, to name a few.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by pintobean
    Obviously you get the impression that Clay only sings his music at these concerts which is not true. He sings a variety of songs not just the ones that are on his albums for example - Prince, James Taylor, to name a few.
    If I wanted to hear Prince or James Taylor, i'd listen to....Prince and James Taylor. I like the show for what it is but why would I pay for imitation? Sorry. I know artists often do covers, but I dont go to a concert - and im not a frequent concert goer - to listen to covers.

I go to concerts to have fun. I wouldn't go to a Clay or Ruben concert if I was given front row seats. Come to think of it, I'd sell them to one of you guys.

I wouldn't buy their cd's either. I did buy the Kelly Clarkson cd, but I loved the music on her cd. There are artists for me that I am a die-hard fan of for one reason or another, however, I don't buy their cd because I like the artist, I buy the cd because I like the music on it.

I'm a Tasia fan because I love the quality of her voice, love her personality and her spirit. Will I buy her cd? Only if I like the music on it. Same goes with any of the other contestants. It's not only their ability to put out a cd, but the quality of music that is chosen to be on it. If Fantasia wins this thing, her first cd will probably not be a true testament to who she is because their will be executives who will do all the picking and choosing for her. I'm kind of hoping she goes home so she can pick and choose to work with a recording company that will allow her to have some say in what type of music she will record.

Quote Originally Posted by DetGuy
    If I wanted to hear Prince or James Taylor, i'd listen to....Prince and James Taylor. I like the show for what it is but why would I pay for imitation? Sorry. I know artists often do covers, but I dont go to a concert - and im not a frequent concert goer - to listen to covers.
    I guess we agree to disagree! So lets get back to what is at hand and say to each his own!

wanna check you for ticks SecondBase's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by funnygirl422
    If Fantasia wins this thing, her first cd will probably not be a true testament to who she is because their will be executives who will do all the picking and choosing for her. I'm kind of hoping she goes home so she can pick and choose to work with a recording company that will allow her to have some say in what type of music she will record.
    My thoughts exactly. I'm one of the biggest Tasia dans around, and I'd be happy to see her go this week for that exact reason. Let Diana win this competition and have her five minutes of watered down fame. Tasia's gonna be around a while.
    Praise seitan!

Quote Originally Posted by SecondBase
    Let Diana win this competition and have her five minutes of watered down fame.
    With that voice which is only going to get better as it matures. I'd say she's in it for the long haul, at least 6 minutes of 100 proof fame.
    Last edited by Tigerusty; 05-19-2004 at 01:03 PM.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondBase
    My thoughts exactly. I'm one of the biggest Tasia dans around, and I'd be happy to see her go this week for that exact reason. Let Diana win this competition and have her five minutes of watered down fame. Tasia's gonna be around a while.
    I'd hope that she'd have some autonomy over what she choses to sing and what type of cd she putso ut because i'd hate to see what watered down mtv'ish crap they'd try to have her sing. Let Diana have it.

Gotta give Simon some respect for saying what everyone else is thinking. great article.

We always knew that Simon didn't like clay, but thatís pretty harsh... i mean, what does it say about American Idol when Simon can't sit through a champion's concert? interesting!

I wonder what he thinks of Kelly. i went to the Kelly/clay show, and was impressed by both. they are both VERY great performers and don't put on some act when on stage... they are exactly the Kelly and clay from idol that we all love to death, but after a while, clay's songs all blended together... ballad, ballad... ballllllaaaaad... But Kelly has such a wide range, she went from rock/country-ish, to a ballad, then to big band and some fun fast pop in a span of 30 minutes. who else can do that?!

Clay is a total ballad man, and that's all he can sing, he revels in the fact that he can hold some ungodly high note for over 30 seconds 4 or 5 times in the same song... Is that what Simon is talking about? I'd like to know what he thinks of Kelly... damn interviewers never ask the right questions! lol

I agree about the La Toya thing, we donít know her at all, and she was cold and steely most of the time. But I think its more the fault of the shows producers. Instead of those TERRIBLE -Let me repeat- T-E-R-R-I-B-L-E ford commercials, we could have something like what we had from season one: have the kids drive around and actually TALK ABOUT THEIR LIVES! We don't know anything about these AI3 kids and that's all because of the producers. GRR!

Quote Originally Posted by Albi4ever
    I wonder what he thinks of Kelly. i went to the Kelly/clay show, and was impressed by both. they are both VERY great performers and don't put on some act when on stage... they are exactly the Kelly and clay from idol that we all love to death, but after a while, clay's songs all blended together... ballad, ballad... ballllllaaaaad... But Kelly has such a wide range, she went from rock/country-ish, to a ballad, then to big band and some fun fast pop in a span of 30 minutes. who else can do that?!

I agree about the La Toya thing, we donít know her at all, and she was cold and steely most of the time. But I think its more the fault of the shows producers. Instead of those TERRIBLE -Let me repeat- T-E-R-R-I-B-L-E ford commercials, we could have something like what we had from season one: have the kids drive around and actually TALK ABOUT THEIR LIVES! We don't know anything about these AI3 kids and that's all because of the producers. GRR!
    Simon was on Ellen yesterday and said it was all about the marketing and PR. He said he likes the way voting has been going it keeps things interesting and unpredictable.

Ellen asked him about LaToya because she was on the show on Monday and said she was very personable, etc. Simon said he knew that about her, but it wasn't coming across in her performances. He looks forward to seeing where her career will take her.

The interesting part of his interview was when he was talking about marketing and his example was Jessica Simpson. He thinks she's overrated and an average singer, but her stint on Newlyweds and, in particular, her chicken/tuna debacle is what put her back on the map. He said he thought the chicken/tuna, as well as the buffalo wings statements were scripted. I have to agree with him.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast