+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zack Werner, Judge

Zack Werner, Judge

[IMG]images/img/Zack_Idol2_235.jpg[/IMG]

Winnipeg native Zack Werner has enjoyed a varied and extensive career in the music industry as an artist, producer, entertainment lawyer and manager.

Werner is President of Toronto-based Venus Management and Venus Records (distributed by EMI), where he spends his time finding and developing new talent across Canada. The company provides personal management for artists including esthero (Warners), Robin Black and the Intergalactic Rockstars (Venus/EMI), Skye Sweetnam (Venus/Capitol), Patricia O'Callaghan (Marquis/EMI), Tara Slone (Venus/EMI) and James Robertson (EMI Music Publishing).

"Zack is intelligent and mercurial just when you think he's going to zig, he zags," said Canadian Idol Executive Producer John Brunton. "He's our wild card. I love his passion - he's a natural-born killer."

With a B.A. from the University of Minnesota and a law degree from the University of British Columbia, Werner put the "law" on hold upon moving to Toronto and joined local rock band "The Ringing." Managed by Gary Pring (Glass Tiger), the group worked in the studio with producer Garth Richardson (Rage Against The Machine, Red Hot Chili Peppers) and secured a development deal with Capitol Records.

Werner formed the group Thick As Thieves and relocated to Los Angeles. The group opened for Alice In Chains and Pearl Jam and negotiated a distribution deal through BMG. When the band broke up Werner returned to Toronto and signed a development deal with MCA as a solo-artist and worked with producer John Punter (The Spoons, Japan).

Putting his legal training to use, Werner practiced entertainment law with the firm of Sanderson,Taylor - the pre-eminent entertainment law firm in Canada, counting among their clients worldwide superstars such as Sum 41,Avril Lavigne and Nelly Furtado. He soon built a strong reputation for finding, showcasing and representing new talent across Canada. His clients included The Philosopher Kings, Chris Smith Management, Sky, One, Ron Sexsmith and Sass Jordan.

Werner is currently busy with the launch his new PR company, Smoke and Mirrors Promotions. As well he is looking forward to the imminent release of albums by esthero, Patricia O'Callaghan and Skye Sweetnam. Sweetnam, who is currently on tour with Britney Spears across North America, also appears in the new Nicklodeon series Radio Free Roscoe.

I still don't like him for what he said to Kelly on WORLD IDOL. :phhht What a loser. And then he backs up Ryan Malcom who doesn't even compare to Kelly. Jealously much?

eny
    FORT Fogey
    He was bang on about Kelly . No one else had the cahones to address her screaming problem. The girl can sing , but she was horrid on WI.

Evryone calls him a Simon wanna be , but I think he's simply Honest , whereas with Cowell it's all about the grandstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by eny
    He was bang on about Kelly . No one else had the cahones to address her screaming problem. The girl can sing , but she was horrid on WI.

Evryone calls him a Simon wanna be , but I think he's simply Honest , whereas with Cowell it's all about the grandstanding.
    I respectfully disagree. I agree that Kelly was shouting but not on your feelings towards Zack.

I could do without his attitude (like Simon), but he's also usually correct in his criticisms (like Simon).

I have more respect for his comments, however, since they come from someone who actually is a musician/artist (unlike Simon).
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I'm with Eny and Jane on this one, Kelly was not at her best on WI, Zack was mildly disrespectful (maybe irreverent is a better word) - but thats Zack. He's usually right on with his criticisms but unlike Simon he can offer advice, not just "I don't like it"
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Simon's reaction to Zack's comments was ridiculous imo.

People are allowed to criticise Kelly and think she's less than stellar you know Simon.

I don't have a problem with Zack, I felt he was actually often less controversial than Jake.
    "That's Numberwang!"

xSKATExORxCRYx
    I dislike Zack as a judge, because they've set him up as the "Mean Simon-esque" judge, but more than that, I feel as though Zack *tries* to be that archetype.

I often get the impression with him that he spends more time thinking of something witty or clever to say, rather than just saying his gut instinct.

I hope in this next season that he (along with the other 3 judges) come into their own and find /their/ own personality, separate from that of the 'Dawg, the Paula and the Mean Cowell.

We have four judges. We don't need Canadian versions of our Southern neighbours. We need four judges with their OWN personalities.

Also, I think Zack is a TERRIBLE dresser. Stop with the ugly shirts, dude!

FORT Fogey
    steeveedee, I completely agree with you. Zack tries (unsuccessfully) to live up to the Simon Cowell image. If you're not Simon, you're just not Simon... give it up!

Zack's my favourite.
    Men are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you can't help but smile as you see one tumble down the stairs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast