+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ben Mulroney, Host

Ben Mulroney, Host

[IMG]images/img/ben_idol2_235.jpg[/IMG]

Affable and urbane, Ben Mulroney's role as host of Canadian Idol couldn't be a better fit. A self-confessed pop culture junkie, Mulroney brought the Idol phenomenon to life for Canadian viewers every step of the way, from talent auditions across the country to the nail-biting season finale.

"Ben's solid composure performing live in front of millions each week is a direct reflection of his enthusiasm, compassion and easy-going style," said Ed Robinson, Senior Vice-President, Comedy and Variety Programming, CTV Inc. "Canadian Idol is the perfect showcase for his natural charm and likeability."

A "big brother" to the competitors on the show, Ben's good looks and natural charisma attracted fans in the millions over the course of the show. As the show garnered more and more viewers, Ben's profile increased, leading to intense media coverage and Canadian Idol chat room discussion.

"The perfect host for Idol should be slightly more interesting than vanilla," Mulroney told Maclean's magazine. "Fashionable, but not like he's trying to upstage anyone, funny but not necessarily a comedian, confident but not necessarily cocky. He should be like a good child: speak when spoken to and recognize his place in the family. This show is first and foremost about the singers..."

Following Canadian Idol, Ben returned to his post as host of CTV's etalk Daily, Canada's number one source for entertainment news – bringing increased ratings with him. Like Canadian Idol, etalk is a Canadian television success story – a quality, homegrown program that competes with the best American programming. Indeed, with Mulroney at the helm, etalk Daily now regularly attracts more viewers than Entertainment Tonight.

On etalk Daily, Mulroney covers all fronts of the entertainment world, from music and movies to TV, fashion, trends and gossip. Before joining etalk Daily, Mulroney was the correspondent for TalkTV's The Chatroom where he talked candidly about the entertainment news of the day. In July 2001, Mulroney became the interactive show’s co-host, positioning him as the face of TalkTV.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    I think he should do extreme makeover so that he doesn't remind me of daddy . Not his fault as you can't pick your family .

Who's his dad again? I'm sure I knew this at one point...

eny
    FORT Fogey
    A former prime Minister Brian Mulroney who ended his time shall we say VERY BADLY in office. He took down the whole party he represented with him . The party went from having the biggest landslide win in history , to not even having official party status . 200+ seats to I think 9 seats in the house.
    I know Bush doesn't have a huge landslide victory , but picture George having won about 100 more seats, then in the next election , the republicans only winning 9 seats total out of protest , and sending the whole party into financial ruin. They can't get anyone to vote for them or even stand up as a candidate out of embarassment. Since then there has been almost no organized official oposition to the other party, just until this year. Chaos in short caused by this guys Dad.

Mulroney high tailed it to Star Island Florida next door to Celine Dion where I think he still is.

One look at him and most Canadians want to just scream ..Poor kid
    Last edited by eny; 05-19-2004 at 12:09 AM.

The young 'uns seem to love him though, eny. The ones young enough not to remember his daddy, that is.

I find him less objectionable than Ryan Seacrest...but then again, I am Canadian
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

sorry gals I'd take Ryan over Ben any day.
    Ben is cardboard and he relies heavily on cue cards - not just for the facts but for his banter too. I hope to see better things from him this year. Last year during World Idol I was wishing for Ryan or the two guys from the UK (Ant and Dec) instead of Ben.
    I must say though.. the funniest thing I have EVER seen was the production number of Choose Me, I'm Your Canadian Idol - with all of the worst singers in the auditions. I laugh every time I see it.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

It was very disappointing to see Ben on the screen for WI when I thought it would be Ant and Dec.

Ben, meh, I don't mind him but I don't think he's as polished as the tv producers that keep using him think he is.

That Choose Me thing was really funny though, I agree Duxx.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fogey
    For me, it's Ben's voice that is completely irritating. Simon was complaining that Ryan sounds weird when interviewing, but he has nothing on the strange voice of Ben.
    That, and his cheesy grin. ugh.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    He has used car salesman written all over him.
    I agree Ant and Dec were way more entertaining. That said I do like him more than Seacrest. He really had it bad for Audrey.

Yes he did, eny, he loved to break out the French on her too.

I feel a little sentimental about Ant and Dec as they've been on British tv since they were about 10.

I think Ben is nice enough, but he does seem awful smug at times, though that might just be the Mulroney chin.
    "That's Numberwang!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast