+ Reply to Thread
Page 72 of 72 FirstFirst ... 226263646566676869707172

Thread: 5/18 Show Discussion (*SPOILERS*)

FORT Newbie
    Great singing is a huge part of it, but great singing alone does not make an idol. It is sex appeal, style and prescence as well. So why don't we all stop fooling ourselves by saying that simply put - the person with the best voice should win. Because that simply is not true.
    Yes I agree that having the best voice isnt the be all end all of the making of start. And that one has talent when they've got it all that "x" factor. However a lot of the complaints about Fantasia seem to be that 1.) She had a teen pregancy and is a teen mother. So there for she shouldnt be an American Idol. Um HELLO there are dozens of singers and great actresses who've had soap opera worthy lives. Yet dont see anyone bemoaning that they dont deserve the rpraise they get because of it. Just look like Madonna and Whitney.2.)They dont think she should because she didnt finish highschool, again plenty of people who started out in showbiz with less then savory backgrounds.

And if you've read any of my posts you will see that I completely agree with you. Again, my test is to close my eyes and just listen to the contestants sing the damn notes. It tells you very quickly who can sing at the professional level that we have every right to expect. All of the sideshow issues that are used in the voting process detract from the show's quality. Vocal talent seems, at times, to be a smaller factor than a lot of other criteria used by many voters. Today 01:20 PM
    Sorry that I misunderstood I pretty much do what you do. Though usually I dont even need to close my eyes. My ears tell me who's good and who's not. My eyes let me know if someones getting my attention. And I know someones really good when the song stops and I want to hear more.

Fantasia and Diana did that with me last night. With Jasmine however my eyes and ears were in pain.

Quote Originally Posted by eldee
    With the posts from Camile fans, I think I did the same thing with either Camile or maybe JPL (I believe it was Camile). I ended up laughing and it wasn't from joy. The song sounded like a bad joke (Good bye Yellow Brick Road?) and it was just so funny to me. That is a good test though.
    After LaToya got her standing "O" in the 32 showdown, one of our local radio stations had played her singing because the DJ was so blown away by her. The had her singing but no background music and it was not as good as it came across the night before. Granted, had they done that to any of the other performances that night it would have been a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by cal1981
    It almost makes you wish for a Diana - Jasmine final doesn't it?
    Sorry to quote myself but that last line was purely sarcastic. Jasmine has no place in the final two but it would almost serve the production company right if that happened. They would be left holding a very questionable hand. My own preference was Latoya. She was, hands down, the best voice but we saw what happened to her. At this point Fantasia should win. I wouldn't consider buying anything that she recorded because her voice wouldn't do it for me over the long term but of those left, she clearly has the right combination of voice, presence and showmanship. I still muse over a Diana - Jasmine final however. It could be the end of civilization as we know it.

FORT Fogey
    With the posts from Camile fans, I think I did the same thing with either Camile or maybe JPL (I believe it was Camile). I ended up laughing and it wasn't from joy. The song sounded like a bad joke (Good bye Yellow Brick Road?) and it was just so funny to me. That is a good test though.
    I close my eyes every night for at least a little while during each person's performance. It really does tune you in to the voice... I think it is why I'm not too fond of Jasmine...she is either flat or under the notes. Fantasia didn't sound great at the beginning of "Greatest Love of All" either.

You Ought To See Her Fly Paradigm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by caliqueen16
    Oh yes, and I'd like to say thanks to paradigm for posting the judges comments in such an easy way to read!
    Quote Originally Posted by Englishman
    thanks much paradigm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jahim
    thanks for the excellent Recap of what was sung, and followed by a summary of the Judges comments from Paradigm, I really appreciate it...
    My pleasure.
    Win or Lose: Diana Degarmo is my American Idol!

Quote Originally Posted by touque
    I close my eyes every night for at least a little while during each person's performance. It really does tune you in to the voice... I think it is why I'm not too fond of Jasmine...she is either flat or under the notes. Fantasia didn't sound great at the beginning of "Greatest Love of All" either.
    I did that too last night. Well, mostly because I was on the net browsing. It really helps me make judgement based on their "vocals" rather than stage presence which if they get a recording contract will be the only thing that will keep them in business. And I must say, I can be proud of being a Diana fan.

I will use my 7000th post to wish that the fans of the final three will be happy that their favorite made it this far.
    Congrats.

On the Matter of Barrino v. Gray...

Quote Originally Posted by Kariann1
    It is a put down to Fantasia to say she sounds like Macy Gray.
    WORD!!!

Quote Originally Posted by E-Daddy
    so sad...oh well atleast Fantasia is safe since her line is so darn busy!!!
    I thought so too last week for Latoya. Look what happened to her? And I only got in 3 votes for the last 2 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradigm
    Congrats.
    Thanks! I like your avatar.

+ Reply to Thread