+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Clive Davis: Will he be honest?

Quote Originally Posted by Kariann1
    I think Clive was fairly honest; however, his love for Fantasia was all too apparent. Fantasia did not do that great of a job on that last number, "Greatest Love of All." He's sold on her and will give her a contract regardless how it turns out. :rolleyes
    All I can say is good for Fantasia. I won't be buying that cd. I didn't think that last song was that great either especially after they criticised Jasmine for doing the same kind of thing Fantasia did. Granted Fanny wasn't off like Jazzy but it wasn't close to Whitney either.

Overall, I think Clive was fair and he gets right to the point. I give Diana a lot of credit for taking criticisms and coming back with an outstanding last performance. Poor Jasmine just got worst.

DetroitRockCity
    Quote Originally Posted by RubyRed
    All I can say is good for Fantasia. I won't be buying that cd. I didn't think that last song was that great either especially after they criticised Jasmine for doing the same kind of thing Fantasia did. Granted Fanny wasn't off like Jazzy but it wasn't close to Whitney either.

Overall, I think Clive was fair and he gets right to the point. I give Diana a lot of credit for taking criticisms and coming back with an outstanding last performance. Poor Jasmine just got worst.
    The thing about Fantasia singing a "Whitney" song is that she was not trying to imitate Whitney but sing the song in Fantasia's style while staying true to the familiar melody. Fantasia knows she does not sound like Whitney. Jasmine however WAS trying to imitate Whitney karaoke style - and it didn't work. If all the producer wants is karaoke versions of songs, they would do well to name the show American Imitator. That's not what I expect to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by FantasiaRules
    Fantasia knows she does not sound like Whitney. Jasmine however WAS trying to imitate Whitney karaoke style - and it didn't work. If all the producer wants is karaoke versions of songs, they would do well to name the show American Imitator. That's not what I expect to hear.
    I totally agree with you. Perhaps majority of Jas' fans don't realize this since I think a lot of them must have been six or seven years old when Whitney's career was in its prime. For Fantasia to sound unique while singing a kareoke anthem (The Greatest Love of All) is an achievement in itself!

Answering the question though, I thought Clive Davis' comments SEEMED honest enough. Something really bugs me though about his song choice for Jasmine. I know he wants her off, but did he have to pick LaToya's signature song? It just seemed in bad taste, IMO.

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar
    I thought Clive was great. I wish more of the guest judges were as honest as he was. He was also fairly tactful about his criticism, not brutally honest like Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by jmb
    I thought Clive was great. I wish more of the guest judges were as honest as he was. He was also fairly tactful about his criticism, not brutally honest like Simon.

It was also a smart thing to do. He should remain credible and reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by jmb

I think he did a good job giving constructive criticism and wasn't brutal
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

He had to be diplomatic because any one of these contestants will be on his label. I just hope America realizes how much of a stretch it will be to give Jasmine a recording contract.

I LOVED Diana's performance of MacArthur Park last night. He did a fabulous job picking this out for her. He realizes (like most of us) that Diana has a hard time with ballads, especially those where the range goes from one extreme to the next.

I have to give DIANA her props, she showed out on that song last night. I must admit. That last note she hit, was spectacular, to say the least.

I think TASIA could have done better but she did good. Even doing a Whitney cover, she did alright, but I think I would have rather heard her sing Whitney's style on the Star Spangled Banner. That might have been hot, thats the song I heard when she belted out her last note.

I think JAS needs to realize that she is by no means in comparison to the other too. I mean, she did alright. But thats just not good enuff at this point in the competition. Her notes were quite pitchy, she doesnt have good breathing control, and she often tries to add an extra roll in words that should remain roll-less ... (Im no judge though folks, but you got me, I did go to a performing arts school ) But its really not up to us to see that, its up to Hawaii to realize that. And theres nothing we can do until they see it for themselves. I hope America voted wisely.

FORT Fanatic

That is your opinion

Quote Originally Posted by thablaquekatt

I have to give DIANA her props, she showed out on that song last night. I must admit. That last note she hit, was spectacular, to say the least.

I think TASIA could have done better but she did good. Even doing a Whitney cover, she did alright, but I think I would have rather heard her sing Whitney's style on the Star Spangled Banner. That might have been hot, thats the song I heard when she belted out her last note.

I think JAS needs to realize that she is by no means in comparison to the other too. I mean, she did alright. But thats just not good enuff at this point in the competition. Her notes were quite pitchy, she doesnt have good breathing control, and she often tries to add an extra roll in words that should remain roll-less ... (Im no judge though folks, but you got me, I did go to a performing arts school ) But its really not up to us to see that, its up to Hawaii to realize that. And theres nothing we can do until they see it for themselves. I hope America voted wisely.
    Jasmin actually pulled off "All By Myself" quite well. They wanted her to fall flat on her face and she didn't. They even had to admit she hit the high notes right - however - they didn't feel the lonliness. I didn't feel it when LaToya sang it either. As for Diana - she sucked last night - but she did come back on the last song. I can't stand Diana - but when she sang that last song - it was the first time I ever liked her. But the other two songs were absolutely horrible, at least when Jaz sings off key she still sounds pretty - with Diana's loud and screaming voice - god she was awful sining that second song especially.

Even Clive Davis admitted she did a good job with the Whitney song - I'd like to see you try to sing Whiteny and sound that good.

I'm a Jasmin fan, I'm rooting for her - I hope fantasia wins - but I'd be tickled pink if Diana goes home tonight. And you know what she just might because last night was far from Diana's best night. She went for 1 out of 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Kariann1
    He's sold on her and will give her a contract regardless how it turns out. :rolleyes
    As he should if he is any kind of businessman. Regardless of how AI ends this season, they have found a star in Fantasia and her career will prove that in the future. It will be a repeat of last season if she does not win. Her career will eclipse that of whoever is chosen as winner.
    If you see the obstacles in your path then you have taken your eyes off of the goal!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast