+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it time for AI to "Jump the Shark"?

Simon's Microphone MrsSimonCowell's Avatar
    Paula is next to useless in a judging capacity, but she is cute with Simon. I think Randy would probably be the easiest judge to replace. Losing Simon would most likely be a disaster to the spirit of the show.

I agree they need to change the age limit and the voting method. Hopefully they learned their lesson this year about putting through craptacular singers with "personality." It's really messed up the voting, which has been all over the place. If JPL or JS had won, the show WOULD have jumped the shark big time. The way they grouped people stunk, too. All the good people were in one or two groups so we lost people that were better than the "winners" from the other groups.

The themes need to be broadened. Gloria Estefan night was a bad, bad scene, and the other themes haven't been much better. The only "artist" night that worked all right was Elton John, beause he's done so many different styles.
    GO BO GO!

Quote Originally Posted by SurvivorGirl
    Yeah. I want Paula to stay. She gives constructive criticism...sometimes.
    If by constructive criticism you mean telling them that they made it their own and they had fun with it, then yes Paula gives constructive criticism.

Foster Your Inner Kacey BobDobolina's Avatar
    Perhap, they should start an American Idol cable channel, AITv. For months on end, they'll loop the thousands of non-joke auditions and allow people to vote them into Hollywood. It would be kinda like C-SPAN, except not quite so bizarre.

FORT Fan
    I think the whole process is dragged out kind of long. I say 12 finalists is just too many. They need to cut it down to 10. And instead of 32 singers with some painfully bad performances, e.g. Jesus and His brother.. :phhht, and others, why not just have 3 groups of 8, and choose 2 from each group. And keep the same WC formats. That way you get quality performances each week. I think 14 prime weeks will be a lot better than 17 weeks. This way, quality performances can at least be expected. Also, I want more comparisons from the judges. Dont be nice, be real, Paula

<i>Kariann</i>: * Paula could be replaced by someone like Debbie Gibson. Randy could be replaced by a Jackson...err, Jermaine Jackson, that is. Simon is Simon, but I would hope next year he would be more interested in the show. So what if you don't understand Country. In the off season, take the time to learn!
    When I made this comment, it wasn't that I don't like Paula and Randy--but rather that they are replaceable.

I AM TOTALLY SHOCKED NO ONE MENTIONED THE LARGE AMOUNT OF COMMERCIAL TIME!! What a turn-off that is. :phhht

Please correct me if I am wrong...but Barry Manilow week had the greatest number of viewers. Guest judges provide an expereince most performers would never get in REAL life. I believe the Theme Shows challenge the contestants, pushing them beyond the envelope. In additon, every time they had a Guest Judge, that artists' record sales zoomed the next week.

Some see the Themed Weeks as a problem, I see them as an asset to the show. It gets AI viewers who have lived the experience but may not have watched the show!

Too bad someone cannot copy this list (the last week) and mail it to the producers!

If Jennifer Hudson and Amy Adams were still in the competition, I'm sure this season would have been the best of all. They had extraordinary talent, and the producers just let them go.

People could not believe the results, and many of us were dissapointed. Those little details make us change the image we had about this competition.

Up Where They Belong SurvivorGirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kariann1
    I AM TOTALLY SHOCKED NO ONE MENTIONED THE LARGE AMOUNT OF COMMERCIAL TIME!! What a turn-off that is. :phhht
    Oh. Thanks for reminding us.

Sometimes it seems like there's more commercial time than show time. And on Motown night, the judges didn't give long comments and Ryan was rushing. But they still had time for commercials. I really hate the commercials.

FORT Fogey
    To me, it seems like it is running out of steam. I have been watching since the beginning and I was much more emotionally involved with contestants from the first two years, than I am this year, although I sitll have favorites.

I think the thing is was that since the judges were going for something "different" and someone with "potential", we got some people who might be interesting (Camille, JPL, John Stevens, Leah) and have potential but probably weren't the best "voices" around. I dont know, maybe i'm wrong. I'm just not as excited this year (but i wont miss an episode).

Foster Your Inner Kacey BobDobolina's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SurvivorGirl
    Oh. Thanks for reminding us.

Sometimes it seems like there's more commercial time than show time. And on Motown night, the judges didn't give long comments and Ryan was rushing. But they still had time for commercials. I really hate the commercials.
    It's time for you guys to join the Tivolution. I couldn't recommend something more highly. It makes all the difference in the world. Frankly, I don't think I'd be able to stomach the show without it.

its an interesting topic... I watched the top 8 of season 1 (they only had a top ten and eliminated 2 the first week right?) all of Season 2.. and all of this season so far.. I don't think any of the "magic is lost" per se.. I think it just has alot ot do with what you like to listen to.. lets face it.. it was a male top 5 last season, its a female top 5 this season.. just happened that way..

I could agree that the voting system could stand to be changed, but then again no.. those are the same people who vote like mad for TRL on MTV in most cases.. So I doubt they wantt o stray far from that...

As per rules.. bumping hte age sounds like a good idea to most of us, but I think its the younger ones that attract the middle school even older elementary bunch.. its who they can relate to and say I want to be like them.. because look at things like movies and TV.. for the most part, the age they play is almost always younger then their actual age by a noticable difference.. be it months for infants and toddlers, to years for more of the "older child stars".. since its reality TV, they can't "play" a younger person, but thats who they relate it to.. if that makes sense.. lol..

As per the themes.. I had a discussion I wanted to start up about the "artist themes" not sure where that one went, but it doesn't matter really... I am not a fan of the artist themes.. limiting the people to strictly an artist is a BAD idea... but I do think the more General themes are more fun.. like big band, or movie week, or if they actually made it Latin Pop Week, not just Gloria Week.. As for the rock songs.. I know he isn't really "rock" but I am surprised no one sung a JAson Mraz song, or some of those other low-tone rock songs that actually do have a decent singer.. I was saying up and down, given the chance.. someone would sing Jason Mraz.. then there were what 4 men in the top 12, 1 of which would never choose smoething new (John), then they were eliminated, blah blah blah, never came up.. oh well.. I think more general themes would be good.. didn't they used to do things like "The 60's" and "the 70's" and such? I liked those..
    Big Brother 16: The Alliance - Come See the Fun in the Big Brother Forum!

+ Reply to Thread