+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it time for AI to "Jump the Shark"?

Quote Originally Posted by kitschcakes
    WORD, refugee, WORD. Word. Wordy McWord.
    I totally agree.

They need to up the quality of each week's theme. Disco? Sucks. Salsa? Uh, not for contestants in this type of competition.

And does it HAVE to be a "pop" winner? I loved Kurt Nilsen of "World Idol" and he's barely "pop"ish. I just think the winner should either be able to sing well and bring something fun or interesting to the table. Well...and be marketable. I think fabulous singers who fail to engage me aren't worth the effort of voting. If they get up and sing and within 20 seconds I'm up to get some pop or do laundry-- something's wrong.

Just my $.02 more.
    I see where you are coming from, but this is basically a Pop show, looking for the next Pop star. It is not a show looking for the next Rock Star, so why even have a rock week.

One could argue that this isn't Disco Idol either. Though in comparission Disco and Pop are closer in genre to Pop and Rock.

I find that Disco and Latin and some of the best theme's on the show, and are closest to Pop.

But there is a lot of "rock music" that is really close to "pop"-- in fact, I think the line is really, really blurred.

I'm not talking Death Metal or anything.

But what about Buddy Holly, Jerry Lee Lewis, The Beatles? Or a lot of bands you listen to on the radio today? Or even a lot of the singers you hear today? It's pretty much "pop-rock"?

There is a lot more variety out there that could serve this show well. Unfortunately, it seems to be closing itself in this narrow box that begs for Whitney, Mariah, Celine to be belted out ad nauseaum.

Yes I think it has lost its magic touch but they will still keep it around. However, they need to make changes by:
    - Changing the voting method
    - Change the judges especially Randy and Paula
    - More different music categories
    - Minimum age of 18 for IDOLS would be better
    Remember that you only live once, and if you do it just right, once is just enough.

BE the change you wish to see in the world. - M. Gandhi

I don't think AI is going anywhere soon. I didn't see the first season but watched AI2. It was all new to me so it was more exciting to see what would happen next since I had no idea. I think the overall talent is better this year. I agree with others that the narrowness of the theme nights made it less interesting. That is, being able to only choose from a small songbase. Better to have salsa/latin week than Gloria E. week. The theme weeks make for good television.

It's still exciting to me because my two favorites are still in the competion and it looks like they could be the final 2. I also think the three judges are a good balance.

What could/will kill AI? Choosing gimmicks over talent. Contestants like JPL (sorry JPL fans - the whole "pen saleman" thing was a bore after the first audition) and others. Remember the Roman brothers? Whew, talk about dead weight and the worst night of AI I ever saw. I can't believe they were anywhere close to being top 32, but were put in there because it was a gimmick to have two brothers competing against one another. Scooter girl was another gimmick themed contestant but at least she had talent.

I don't think the "pen gimmick" is what got JPL through-- it was just a gimmick that helped us remember him.

His weird Kermit-y, van Morrisonesque, Aaron Neville-ish voice and bizarre antics are what got him as far as it did.

He wasn't a powerful singer, but he had something special that kept viewers interested, at least for a while.

I don't think I would've watched the Top 12 AT ALL had he not been in it. I would have gone all Oedipus and gouged out my eyes, and my ears had it all been glory-notes and power-belting the whole time (LOL).

I think contestants like JPL are one of the reasons anybody bothers watching the show...and contestants like Clay and Ruben (who can obviously SING) who somehow created gi-normous fanbases and interest with their talent AND personalities.

Talent + Personality= American Idol
    Last edited by kitschcakes; 05-08-2004 at 03:41 PM.

FORT Fan
    If anything, the overall quality has increased every year. But, at the end of the day, there's just nothing like your first...

I do agree that they need to change up some of the rules and the voting mechanism.[/QUOTE]

This is the first year that I've felt an emotional bond to the contestants. The first couple of years the show was a novelty, last year I enjoyed watching Kim L., Clay and Reuben, but their performances did not evoke anything for me.

However, that has changed a lot this year. This group definitely has more personality, quirks and all - and I've enjoyed their camaraderie. I do appreciate the older,more mature contestants and Diana won me over right out of the box with her enthusiasm.

Fantasia's story evidences the American spirit so much; the ability to over come adversity and not only demand success, but to work for and earn your rewards. Those who attack her personally, I do not understand.

As I've said before,this has been my favorite year, and George's exit with "What a Wonderful World" will go down as one my favorite, most emoitional performances--- because I believe with good people like him, the world will become a better place.
    Jazzin - Not Bluezzin!

Foster Your Inner Kacey BobDobolina's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzin
    As I've said before,this has been my favorite year, and George's exit with "What a Wonderful World" will go down as one my favorite, most emoitional performances--- because I believe with good people like him, the world will become a better place.
    I agree. I think that's the most moving exit of the 27 they've had so far.

wow 27?
    I guess Coreys doesnt count though, and I wouldnt call Clay and Justin coming in second an exit, but thats just me!

For me, Tamyras exit was really emotional because it wa so unbelievably gutting!
    Last year Kim Lockes departure really got me there, and this year Ive been really touched by Camiles (not just because shes my fave) and Johns exits.
    But Georges was really emotional too, taking it like a man. I think youre right about people like him making the world a better place
    Mario Vazquez - Still My American Idol

Premium Member
    I don't think it's time for AI to "jump the shark". (Not that it would matter, haven't they already been contracted to do at least 2 more seasons?) I was bored silly for the first half of this season, I admit. The 2 or 3 people that I actually thought had personalities left too soon. I got really drawn back into the show during Big Band week and now I'm excited again. I even found some new contestants to like. Now nothing could have topped season 2 for me but I'll get over it.

As for the judging shoving their favorite down our throats, does no one remember the way they did this with Reuben and especially Kelly? This is nothing new. Just ignore 'em.

I'd say PLEASE ditch the artist specific theme nights. and I know this is unthinkable, but could we retire about 10-20 songs from ever being sung again by the final 12? I don't know how many more times we really need to hear yet another skilled rendition of the Titanic theme, I Will Survive, Proud Screeching Trenyse, I mean Mary, etc. :rolleyes And last but not least, no more country. :phhht

Quote Originally Posted by geekgirl
    I'd say PLEASE ditch the artist specific theme nights. and I know this is unthinkable, but could we retire about 10-20 songs from ever being sung again by the final 12? I don't know how many more times we really need to hear yet another skilled rendition of the Titanic theme, I Will Survive, Proud Screeching Trenyse, I mean Mary, etc. :rolleyes And last but not least, no more country. :phhht
    I actually like the way they did it on American Juniors with the decade themes. It's a lot broader and allows the contestants to choose someone that will accentuate their own voice.

+ Reply to Thread