+ Reply to Thread
Page 68 of 77 FirstFirst ... 185859606162636465666768697071727374757677 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Jennifer Hudson - FINALIST

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Re: Jennifer Hudson - FINALIST

Link Here

Jennifer Hudson in 'Idol' Duet With Fantasia

Jennifer Hudson: She lost "American Idol" to Fantasia a few seasons ago. Then she got the part of Effie in "Dreamgirls," which led to the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress in 2007.

A year and a half after that Oscar ceremony, Hudsonís releasing her first full length album next Tuesday. And guess what? Among other gems, the self-titled CD includes a snappy, sassy duet with Fantasia called "Iím His Only Woman." Fantasia, whoís had a lot of trouble with her recording career, once again shows what a star she should be.

But itís Hudsonís song, and itís her CD. And frankly, Jennifer ó whoís also starring in "The Secret Life of Bees" this fall on the big screen ó comes into her own on this CD quite unexpectedly. For everyone who thought she was just capable of belting "And Iím Telling You Iím Not Going," Hudson has a big surprise: she might be Aretha Franklin in waiting.

The album has already launched a single called "Spotlight" that drifts between monotony and melody depending on the listenerís mood. It suffers from a bass-pounding arrangement that sounds a little like Alicia Keysí "No One." In any case, "Spotlight" has been a loss leader.

The big hit on Hudsonís debut should be track 2, called "If This Isnít Love." Written by Brian Seals, Terry Thomas and Theron Thomas, the swooping, insanely catchy song has "hit" written all over it. Itís infectious in the way that all singles should be. You wonít be able to get it out of your head.

Thereís a lot else to like here, too. Robin Thicke has contributed writing and producing on "Giving Myself Over to You," and there are a bunch of nice R&B ballads that allow Jennifer to growl and soar, and show off her remarkable range. My favorite in this group is "Canít Stop the Rain," a kind of old-fashioned story song that would suit Gladys Knight just as well. It should get a lot of radio play.

The CD also contains "And Iím Telling You," which seems superfluous at this point. There are also unnecessary hip-hop tracks featuring Ludacris and T-Pain. The former is particularly annoying when Ludacris has to add his lascivious observations. It adds nothing but subtracts a lot from Hudsonís classily constructed demeanor. Note to the producers: Jennifer Hudson is not Mary J. Blige.

But she can sing, just about better than anyone out there right now. The proof is in the final track, a traditional gospel song called "Jesus Promised Me a Home Over There." One listen and you know that Hudson is better than all this stuff.

Sheís a power hitter, and in church music she has a dramatic friend. Timbaland, Ne-Yo, Stargate ó these are the brand names imposed on her. Let Jennifer Hudson sing the authentic music she was meant to, and the rest is just puffery. In the meantime, sheís telling us, sheís not going anywhere. Jennifer Hudson is here to stay.
    WOO HOO!!!

I know razorbacker won't be thrilled with a 'Tasia duet but I am! I love the phone conversation between the 2 of them at the beginning of the song!

And the song "Jesus Promised me a home over there"....love me some JHud gospel hallejuah praise the Lord "sanging".....

Listen to the album here
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;3205032;
    Link Here

WOO HOO!!!

I know razorbacker won't be thrilled with a 'Tasia duet but I am! I love the phone conversation between the 2 of them at the beginning of the song!

And the song "Jesus Promised me a home over there"....love me some JHud gospel hallejuah praise the Lord "sanging".....

Listen to the album here

Ice pick through the ear drums. The most unneeded duet in History

Some sad news...

Jennifer Hudson's mom, brother found dead

Breaking now: Jennifer Hudson's mom, Darnell Hudson Donerson, 57, has been found dead at her home in Chicago, according to two local television stations, WLS-TV and WMMB-TV. Another body, a male, was also found. TMZ says a neighbor has identified him as Jennifer's brother, Jason. The two were apparently shot this afternoon. A cousin who lived nearby discovered the bodies.
    Link

UPDATE 6:40 PM: An all points bulletin has been issued for a boy, believed to be Hudson's 7-year-old nephew, who may have been taken from the scene. Police are looking for 1994 white Suburban with the license plate X584859.
    Latest from tmz............

How sad..............

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Horrible news.

You call that MUSIC!!?? Ellender's Avatar

Really terrible, terribly sad and frightening news.

I hope no one else, including Jennifer, is in danger.

my prayers go out to jennifer and her family, how tragic!
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Here's the latest from TMZ

UPDATE 8:35 PM ET: Lost in all this is Jennifer's sister Julia, mother of the missing 7-year-old. We're told she works as a bus driver in Chicago. Her employer told us she worked her shift today. She hasn't been seen since.

UPDATE 9:20 PM ET: A WBBM reporter is saying that neighbors have said a family member in the Hudson household apparently tried to steal a car a few weeks ago, an argument ensued, and he vowed revenge. A photo on Julia's MySpace page (bottom) posted prior to today's events alludes to some kind of dispute with William over a car. (The myspace says "Jason picking my ass up from work because William bitch ass sold my car")

UPDATE 11:26 PM ET: The suspect, William Balfour, has been taken into custody. Hudson's nephew, 7-year-old Julian King is still missing, according to WFLD-Chicago. Balfour is refusing to cooperate with cops or supply info.

I feel so bad for Jennifer.......its just heartbreaking to lose a family member and to lose two so senselessly .......my prayers go out to her and I hope they find her nephew safe and sound.

All this over a car? That is so awful! My thoughts and prayers go out to Jennifer and the rest of her family.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

She's really a wonderful human being and it is so hard for me to understand how things like this happen. Namaste Jennifer.... I really hope you can find some peace.
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread